Juice & Food Diets ? wondering if they work before buying a juicer

Options
I'm thinking of buying a juicer and start doing

morning Juice /smoothie
Dinner Juice / Smoothie
tea something around 500 cals ..
plus a 100 cal snack

^^ that's the plan .. just wondering is it worth buying a juicer or buy the bottles of the juice you can get ?

:3

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    So are the juices and smoothies the only thing you are going to take in or is it just part of your diet?
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    juicing and smoothies can be good. The most important thing is getting used to tracking calories as a whole consistently. I never quit eating certain things. Good luck

29509743.png
  • Nuntis
    Nuntis Posts: 63
    Options
    the smoothies and juices will be for breakfast and dinner .. then lunch will be a balanced meal with 2 snacks
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Depends on the calories content of the smoothies and also the nutrients
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eat food...
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    lol
  • bcanderson123456
    bcanderson123456 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The first question I ask anyone that wants to try some weird diet is are you planning on doing this for the rest of your life? If the answer is no then 9 times out of 10 you will regain any weight you lose. A balanced nutrient rich diet eating real foods is the only way to lose weight if you want it to last
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    If you are going to drink a lot of juice and smoothies then by all means get a juicer so you can make sure you are getting what you need in nutrients. It will also be cheaper in the long run but I would recommend you don't rely on them as your primary source of nutrients. As mentioned above you want something you can really stick to as a lifestyle change or else you will be on the treadmill of gaining and lossing weight for the rest of you life.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Do you just love smoothies? The food you put in them isn't magically lower calorie because you put it in a blender. If you just mega love juice, sure, but it's not a weight loss thing.
    If you like smoothies for breakfast why not, but do you really want to drink juice for dinner ...?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Nuntis wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying a juicer and start doing

morning Juice /smoothie
    Dinner Juice / Smoothie
    tea something around 500 cals ..
    plus a 100 cal snack

^^ that's the plan .. just wondering is it worth buying a juicer or buy the bottles of the juice you can get ?

:3

How many calories is that?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Juices are generally to be avoided because the removal of the solid components of fruits and vegetables is more likely to cause insulin spikes, removes the fiber content, etc. Consider this information gleaned from Harvard's School of Public Health:

"...those who consumed one or more servings of fruit juice each day increased their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by as much as 21%.

"The high glycemic index of fruit juice — which passes through the digestive system more rapidly than fiber-rich fruit — may explain the positive link between juice consumption and increased diabetes risk."

"'Our data further endorse current recommendations on increasing whole fruits, but not fruit juice, as a measure for diabetes prevention,' said lead author Isao Muraki, research fellow in the Department of Nutrition at HSPH."

Blending fruit or vegetables rather than juicing them keeps the healthy fiber and other nutrients in the drink. Best is to eat whole fruits and vegetables. Research is finding more and more information that supports the idea that you should keep your consumption of fruit juices to a minimum.

• kamurray6
    kamurray6 Posts: 7 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    In my opinion, it's not worth the money. I have had a juicer collecting dust in my cupboard for years. It was kind of time consuming and a huge pain in the neck to clean. These days I use my regular old blender to make smoothies. In just a few minutes I throw in a bunch of greens, handful of carrots, a handful of fruit and a scoop of protein powder. I have a smoothie for breakfast or lunch almost every day. My boyfriend and I both love them. I feel better and my skin looks a lot better.

My smoothies are about 16 ounces and roughly 250 calories.