So disappointed in myself!

Options
So, here I am, just week 2 of this and I have already fallen off the wagon, not once, but twice. I just don't know how to stay motivated and keep on track. I guess I just love food that much, as well as having a few drinks! VERY bad, I know!

I need a swift kick in the butt to keep me on track. Perhaps taking some pictures of myself and posting them on the fridge might work... or just bolting down the fridge all together!

Anyone else have trouble staying motivated and going WAY off track very early on?

Anyone offer any tips to help a newbie stay on track?

I don't think I'm eating enough to begin with (1200) calories, which could be part of my problem. I really need to beat this thing!!!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Start small, don't go whole hog. I have no idea how much you were eating before, or what constitutes "falling off the wagon" for you, but let's say your previous diet was 2500 calories. Going to 1200 in one bang is a drastic change. Start smaller. Got to 2100 for a few days, then to 1800, then to 1500 and see how you feel. You can probably lose on 1500, depending on your sex, height and weight, you can probably lose on more than that. Make swaps, sodas for diet, juice for water, extra lean beef for "regular", etc.
  • Rickbottom
    Options
    I am just as bad, been on over a month and have been an appalling failure. Wine is my biggest weakness and boy is it a big one, once I fall off on that I am likely to indulge in food naughtiness too. Shocking. On the positive side, I have been hitting the gym pretty regularly but it is not enough to counter the bad stuff. I am also set for 1200 calories and then eat/drink my gym calories. I have been thinking about resetting as well, for a higher level of activity TDEE and then not eating my gym calories. Really though I need to stop reaching for the wine. Sorry I have no useful advice, I am just in the same boat.
    I am still trying to at least track and track honestly and yesterday I was 1300 calories over my goal (did not work out). Today I have 800 calories earned from exercise and I am trying not to touch them.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Set a realistic goal (1 lb/wk loss) and go with that. Slow and steady with small habit changes will be the secret.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    display your before pics as your wall paper or wall size them to carry.
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    If you eat toooooo low....you are more likely to fall off the wagon.

Do the calculations right, be patient, you didn't gain the weight in a couple of weeks....so its not going to come off in a couple of weeks.

Two methods:
    MFP calculations with using their exercise calculations...you eat at least 1/2 of those exercise calories back.
    In MFP use GOALS

TDEE method (exercise is included in the total) you minus around 20-25% and that's what you eat EVERY day. you only track calorie totals in MFP (no exercise tracking).

use calculator or any other similar one: http://www.calculatorlab.com/HowDoIMeetMyWeightLossGoal/

Then in MFP
    GOALS / CUSTOM GOALS and plug in the calories from above.

Figure out what kind of workout you like to do...maybe a mix of strength training and a little cardio for example.
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I agree that 1200 calories is not enough. You need to increase it and that will help.

13928394.png
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Please dont beat yourself up about it, its a waste of time.
    It just sounds like you lack focus and making the commitment to take it seriously.

If you approach it with the correct mindset, then you will know what the answers are each time you come to make that decision. Virtually all of us love food btw, but we wnat to lose weight so we move more steps forward than back by keeping a deficit by logging food accurately and moderating our concumption by smaller portions and sometimes saying no, but being relaxed not to ban any foods or treats.

I guess sounds like you havent got enough confidence, there is no guessing and you need to believe you are capable and can lose the weight if you wnat it badly enough as long as you reteain a cnsistent deficit and get into a few good habits. YOU CAN DO THIS.

I dont know your stats, but always find 1200 a bit low, so put your numbers through again and increase the calories by maybe going for a a bit less of a weight loss. i.e 1lb a week instead of 2. That will give you extra calories and may make it easier for you to sustain. The danger of going at too severe a deficit is you crash out and then binge. You wnat small victores at first and then that can encourage you for more and you will find your feet with increasing confidence.

The other side of the equation is move a bit more to burn more and maybe earn some eatback calories.
  • shattrdillusion
    Options
    I have the same issue, I'm on 1200 calories per day and I fall off the wagon about once a week and when I fall off, I fall OFF. Like half a large pepperoni pizza falling off, and that's just dinner.

A few things that have helped me are proportioning (I'll buy a few snacks but weigh them out into individual portions on a kitchen scale, then put each portion in a small baggie so I can easily grab one if I want a snack), bringing my food with me to work and leaving all cash at home so I don't hit the vending machine, pre-logging some of my meals to plan how to use the rest of my calorie allowance, and reducing the amount of prepared and ready-to-eat foods at home. Most things in my kitchen need to be cooked and prepped in some way before they can be eaten, with the exception of fruits that I keep on hand and this really helps when I'm too lazy to cook.

Feel free to add me and look at my diary for ideas! Don't get discouraged, it's a lifestyle change you're looking to make and that takes time and a lot of patience! (and the occasional slip-up)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Stop shaming yourself for eating; eating is important and you cannot starve yourself healthy. If you want to change, you need to find a way of eating that's sustainable long-term. Up those calories, don't be afraid of food and stop trying to quantify food as good or bad. It's food. :smile:

Your profile says you want to lose 35 pounds. I'm going to assume that you're not obese and close to a healthy weight. You'd be better off with a smaller caloric deficit, anyway; you need that fuel. Your body will thank you.

I found that allowing things like sweets, booze and other supposedly "bad" things in my life kept me from binge eating. I just don't eat them all the time because they don't keep me full.

PS- I end up around 2k calories a day and I'm still getting smaller. I'm in a US 10/12 and started at a 24.
  • Rickbottom
    Options
    It's interesting that so many people say to aim for higher calories but all the calculators tell me anyway to set for 1200. Probably due to my age (45) and gender. Pre-menopausal slowdown. I don't think 1,500 calories a day would make much difference, food is not really the problem, I have the wine calories. ho hum anyway was just venting. Good luck Actonangels1! Good luck all!
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. Don't set "HARD" limits on your food/calorie intake, and don't stress out if you're over one day - those days just try and stay under maintenance. For me, moderation has been key. Good luck.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Have you used a TDEE calculator to estimate what your caloric needs really are (or at least a close approximation) ?

Aim for a small caloric deficit TDEE - 15% or so and have a look at your food choices (your diary isn't open so I can't comment on what you are eating). Aim for foods that will keep you feeling full longer (protein, fat, fibre) . Shoot for a well balanced diet with lean proteins and lots of fruit and veggies. If there some foods that you really like don't deprive yourself, just eat smaller portions - you're less likely to feel like you're punishing yourself that way.

It takes patience and consistency and we all fall off the wagon from time to time. When you do just shake it off and keep moving forward.

• Rickbottom
    Options
    Those links are really helpful 1princesswarrior, thanks. I think I will reset and see where it goes! I always thought I ate a lot of protein until I started tracking as well and boom, I actually almost never meet my protein goals. I guess it is a learning process. Going to go crunch some numbers again. Thanks all, really.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    First, you need to change your mindset. Losing weight is not an all or nothing endeavor. It's best to take small steps toward your goal, start with changing one or two things, and add a new goal every week, while you continue with the others. It can be as simple as drinking 10 glasses of water, or walking at least 20 minutes a days. Also, food, and even drinking, are not "bad" in of themselves. You can fit anything into a diet for weight loss, even the occasional drink or 2. I do it, and have been able to enjoy myself now having 1-2 beers, a couple days a week, and it doesn't ruin my diet.

Starting out trying to eat only 1200 cal/day is your biggest mistake. It's not necessary, and nearly impossible to sustain long term. I have had to learn this the hard way, as well. I tried losing 2lbs/wk and found I was instead losing nothing, or less than a pound, because I would feel hungry or deprived and end up bingeing, putting me back at maintenence level. Now, with my goal of losing 1lb/wk, I can eat 1800 cal/day, or over 2000 if I exercise, and I am greatly satiated with no hunger or cravings. I have room for dessert, and even drinks some nights!

Most importantly, take it one day at a time and do the best you can in the moment. Everyone falls off the wagon once in a while, you just have to be able to get right back on. And for goodness sake, don't hate yourself for it!
  • actonangels1
    actonangels1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Stop shaming yourself for eating; eating is important and you cannot starve yourself healthy. If you want to change, you need to find a way of eating that's sustainable long-term. Up those calories, don't be afraid of food and stop trying to quantify food as good or bad. It's food. :smile:

Your profile says you want to lose 35 pounds. I'm going to assume that you're not obese and close to a healthy weight. You'd be better off with a smaller caloric deficit, anyway; you need that fuel. Your body will thank you.

I found that allowing things like sweets, booze and other supposedly "bad" things in my life kept me from binge eating. I just don't eat them all the time because they don't keep me full.

PS- I end up around 2k calories a day and I'm still getting smaller. I'm in a US 10/12 and started at a 24.

My profile says 35 lbs because 80 - 90 just sounded like an absurd amount of weight to lose and not really realistic! I am very obese actually, and the 80 - 90 is really what I need to lose. Although, I think if I lost 80 - 90 lbs, I'd be too thin... so I think in reality, it's probably about 60 lbs that I think I would be okay with.