Running Tough Mudder...what should I eat before the race

micheleld73
micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
edited November 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm going to be running the Tough Mudder is just over 2 weeks. Any suggestions on what I should eat before I hit the 10-12 mile obstacle course? Thanks!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    The same thing you ate before a 10 to 12 mile training run that you were able to keep down with no GI distress.

Nothing new on race day.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    The same thing you ate before a 10 to 12 mile training run that you were able to keep down with no GI distress.

Nothing new on race day.

We're supposed to train for these?

OP, you're doing the one in Dallas right? I've been wrangled into doing it as well. I'll have a couple waffles with some honey, coffee and I'll probably bring along a couple Clif gels. So yeah, basically what I do on a normal longer run.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    The Tough Mudder has a suggestion or two: https://toughmudder.com/mudder-nation/blog/tough-mudder-tips-what-should-you-eat-during-after-mud-run.
    On event day, the timing of your breakfast is just as important as what you eat. Aim to finish your breakfast about three hours before the start gun and be sure it consists of some easy-to-digest carbs (around 160-grams worth) and some light protein. Additionally, don’t introduce foods that you haven’t experimented with during training on event day–save the risk-taking for the course.

Also:
    CAN I BRING MY OWN FOOD OR ALCOHOL?
    No. You are not allowed to bring your own food or alcohol on-site. If you have small children or have a dietary concern, you will be allowed to bring your own small snacks. This is the only exception.

Good Luck!
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member

Nothing new on race day.

We're supposed to train for these?

OP, you're doing the one in Dallas right? I've been wrangled into doing it as well. I'll have a couple waffles with some honey, coffee and I'll probably bring along a couple Clif gels. So yeah, basically what I do on a normal longer run.

This. I don't typically eat breakfast and the past 3 times I've done TM I've eaten McDonald's oatmeal on the way there (2 hours prior to event time) and that has done fantastic for me.. but that's me. I'll probably eat some oatmeal for number 4 which will occur on the 27th.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Thanks for the responses. I haven't typically been eating before running the 5-10 miles I do on Saturdays and Sundays, however I tote quite a bit of water with me. I also don't eat before my lunch time workouts during the week - usually directly afterward. I just wasn't sure if I should go carb heavy for the energy or protein heavy for the duration on D day as this is my first Mudder. I have done the shorter Warrior Dash a couple of times, but this is a whole different beast!

I am doing the one in Dallas - the Sunday race (going to try and catch the fair on Saturday while I'm in town). Boy am I asking for it there! LOL.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    You can eat a hearty breakfast a few hours before and cover protein/carb needs - carry gels/energy bar in a ziplock. The water stations will provide half an energy bar and half a banana. Wasn't enough for me on a day we started at noon. It might be if you start early.

Here is my report from last weekend:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/tough-mudder-report-north-west-uk-2014-695712

A general good strategy is to water up/carb up a few days to a week before. What you eat in the morning matters but dehydration may be actually a bigger issue in these long races. Prep for that is assuring you are drinking sufficient volumes days before.

Don't worry about running the whole thing and pace yourself - keep some energy in the tank - mud is tiring.

The people you see bonking/cramping early on seem to be on the fit side - they just hit the gas too hard too early.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    CAN I BRING MY OWN FOOD OR ALCOHOL?
    No. You are not allowed to bring your own food or alcohol on-site. If you have small children or have a dietary concern, you will be allowed to bring your own small snacks. This is the only exception.

Good Luck!

Just a note on this one, plenty of people brought their own bananas, energy gels and drinks etc for before / during the race.

I suspect this is more regarding after ie no picnics, BBQ etc.

Oh and I ate a bagel with cream cheese, banana, OJ and a pastry. But I always eat 3 hrs before a long run.

Might be an idea to try anything you want to eat this weekend before a run to do a test, you don't want to discover something disagrees with you mid race.

Good luck and have fun :drinker:
  • hello_miffy
    hello_miffy Posts: 29 Member
    I did it last weekend, didn't majorly train for it. Almost completely forgot to eat beforehand but ended up eating a slice of lemon drizzle cake from one of the stands at the place. Didn't feel hungry or have any problems. So much fun.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    pork kebabs and bourbon
This discussion has been closed.