So disappointed in myself!

Options

Replies

• actonangels1
    actonangels1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I gave my stats on another thread that didn't really go too far, so I'll post them again.

Sex - Female
    Age - 42
    Height - 5' 1"
    Weight - 205 lbs

I set my goal for 2 lbs per week, but then I think I dropped it to 1.5 lbs per week and I don't think it moved my calories up any.

• actonangels1
    Options
    Okay, I'll change it to 1 lb a week and see if that helps.
  • actonangels1
    Options
    Okay, so I fixed all my stats to say what they SHOULD say. Chose the 1 lb option and it upped my calories to 1410 per day. Do you think that is still too low?
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    That's a decent amount of calories. Weigh everything, eat half your plate of veggies with each meal, 1/4 protein and 1/4 starch. Try to eat fruit as a snack, with the occasional (maybe once a week) sweet snack (cookie or a chocolate). You'll find that 1400 calories is manageable.
    Keep us posted. You're not alone.
  • actonangels1
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll give the 1410 Calories a day a try for this week and see if that helps me feel better. I'll have to find foods to eat that lasts longer (keeps me full longer) and see if that helps as well.
  • actonangels1
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Please dont beat yourself up about it, its a waste of time.
    It just sounds like you lack focus and making the commitment to take it seriously.

If you approach it with the correct mindset, then you will know what the answers are each time you come to make that decision. Virtually all of us love food btw, but we wnat to lose weight so we move more steps forward than back by keeping a deficit by logging food accurately and moderating our concumption by smaller portions and sometimes saying no, but being relaxed not to ban any foods or treats.

I guess sounds like you havent got enough confidence, there is no guessing and you need to believe you are capable and can lose the weight if you wnat it badly enough as long as you reteain a cnsistent deficit and get into a few good habits. YOU CAN DO THIS.

I dont know your stats, but always find 1200 a bit low, so put your numbers through again and increase the calories by maybe going for a a bit less of a weight loss. i.e 1lb a week instead of 2. That will give you extra calories and may make it easier for you to sustain. The danger of going at too severe a deficit is you crash out and then binge. You wnat small victores at first and then that can encourage you for more and you will find your feet with increasing confidence.

The other side of the equation is move a bit more to burn more and maybe earn some eatback calories.

You've hit it dead on the nail 999tigger! I do lack confidence for sure. Never had any confidence since I was a little girl. I "think" I can do this, but then I think it's unattainable. I read the success stories here from people and I think, "Why isn't that Me?" I have NO will power, and I freely admit that. I DO want to lose weight, I really do. I've struggled with my weight for the past 12 years so you'd think by now I'd get my *kitten* in gear and DO SOMETHING about it.

I guess part of me just worries about failure and who I will disappoint if I can't do this. Of course I want to do this for ME first and foremost, but having the family know that your trying to lose weight then failing is just not something I want to go through.

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    RE: foods that help you feel full longer...go for protein, healthy fats and high fiber. Don't worry about going over your protein or fat limits if youre using the MFP defaults. That is, of course, assuming you don't have a medical condition which makes you need to limit either, then of course do whatever your doc says to do.

I also find that less processed and more whole foods help - like steel cut oats stick with me better than instant oatmeal.

Set realistic expectations... I like that you changed your goal to 1 pound per week to give some wiggle room. Know too that if you exercise and log it here, MFP gives you extra calories. Be careful with those though, only eat back about half as they tend to overestimate.

Make small changes. If you get too gung-ho and try to change everything at once, you're more likely to fail. If you make gradual changes that you feel comfortable with, the rate of success is much higher.

Best of luck!
  • actonangels1
    Options
    Thanks Minnie, I'll try for more protein and fiber and see if that makes a difference.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    This post has a lot of numbers, please read it to the end. I just put your info into the Scooby TDEE calculator with a sedentary setting (google it if you want to play with the numbers).

Your BMR - 1462
    Your sedentary TDEE - 1754

2 lbs a week is 1000 calories off your TDEE - 754 (MFP will not recommend lower than 1200)
    1.5 lbs a week is 750 calories off your TDEE - 1004 (again MFP will not recommend lower than 1200)
    1 lb a week is 500 calories off your TDEE - 1254

I'm just showing you why MFP is giving you the numbers you're getting. Eating this low in calories is VERY hard (emotionally and hunger wise) and can be harmful (nutrition wise).

You have two choices:
    1. Eat 1254 a day and be happy with 1 lbs a week loss.
    2. Increase your activity level from sedentary, so you can eat more. (More calories burned = more food you can eat to lose the same weight) For example, adding in 1-3 hours a week of "light exercise", like walking, increases your TDEE to 2010. You could eat 1510 calories a day and still lose 1 lb a week.

I would recommend option 2. Still aim for 1 lb a week loss, but add exercise and eat back most of your exercise calories. This way you can eat more food, which personally makes me happier.

Please don't eat less so that you will lose faster. The better option is to pick a plan you can stick with in the long term. Going super strict increases your chances of giving up. Going more moderate increases your chances for success.

This next year will pass anyway, would you rather be 52 lbs lighter because you went with a moderate weight loss and could stick with it, or be at the same weight because you went too strict and gave up?
  • actonangels1
    Options
    This post has a lot of numbers, please read it to the end. I just put your info into the Scooby TDEE calculator with a sedentary setting (google it if you want to play with the numbers).

Your BMR - 1462
    Your sedentary TDEE - 1754

2 lbs a week is 1000 calories off your TDEE - 754 (MFP will not recommend lower than 1200)
    1.5 lbs a week is 750 calories off your TDEE - 1004 (again MFP will not recommend lower than 1200)
    1 lb a week is 500 calories off your TDEE - 1254

I'm just showing you why MFP is giving you the numbers you're getting. Eating this low in calories is VERY hard (emotionally and hunger wise) and can be harmful (nutrition wise).

You have two choices:
    1. Eat 1254 a day and be happy with 1 lbs a week loss.
    2. Increase your activity level from sedentary, so you can eat more. (More calories burned = more food you can eat to lose the same weight) For example, adding in 1-3 hours a week of "light exercise", like walking, increases your TDEE to 2010. You could eat 1510 calories a day and still lose 1 lb a week.

I would recommend option 2. Still aim for 1 lb a week loss, but add exercise and eat back most of your exercise calories. This way you can eat more food, which personally makes me happier.

Please don't eat less so that you will lose faster. The better option is to pick a plan you can stick with in the long term. Going super strict increases your chances of giving up. Going more moderate increases your chances for success.

This next year will pass anyway, would you rather be 52 lbs lighter because you went with a moderate weight loss and could stick with it, or be at the same weight because you went too strict and gave up?

SingRunTing - thank you! This makes a lot of sense.

Can you explain what exactly TDEE stands for?

I changed my stats to reflect my proper weight, goals, etc and decreased my lbs per week to 1 lb and my calories did increase from 1200 to 1410. I think I'll try this for now, maybe for this week and see what I feel like at the end of the week. If things don't improve, I'll try to up the calories to 1500.

Yes, I'd most rather be 52 lbs lighter for sure!!

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I do lack confidence for sure. Never had any confidence since I was a little girl. I "think" I can do this, but then I think it's unattainable. I read the success stories here from people and I think, "Why isn't that Me?" I have NO will power, and I freely admit that. I DO want to lose weight, I really do. I've struggled with my weight for the past 12 years so you'd think by now I'd get my *kitten* in gear and DO SOMETHING about it.

I guess part of me just worries about failure and who I will disappoint if I can't do this. Of course I want to do this for ME first and foremost, but having the family know that your trying to lose weight then failing is just not something I want to go through.

This is why mindset is important as well as your relationship with food. Honestly its straightforward eat at a deficit, move a bit more rinse and repeat. What you need is to take on board the message and commit. Its a bit of a leap of faith but one you start doing the above you will lose weight. You then need to start developing some determination that you will sustain it. Success breeds success. It must be heartbreaking depressing and exhausting starting and then giving up it also saps your self confidence, multiply that over a lifetime and I do understand how it rules peoples lives ive seen it.

Im on my first diet, its going fine and im quietly determined and optimistic. No big statements, but I fully intend to complete. You need that type of focus that you can do it. If you need a friend to hold your hand and lead you through the MFP way, sensible sustainable dieting by creating a deficit, moderating portions and accurate logging, then feel free to add me.

I dont care whether you have 100, 200 300 lb to lose, you arent your weight, its just a case everyone starts somewhere, but you wont get anywhere unless you start and you wont get to your destination unless you sustain. Be friends with yourself, dont demonise food and start being smarter about the whole process as a change of habits rather than a tortuous denial thing. Its not altogether easy, but in no way is it impossible as the people in the success stories show. You always have a choice to do things that get you to your destination or to do things that dont. Small victories will build your confidence.
  • actonangels1
    Options
    Thank you 999tigger. Very well said!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Can you explain what exactly TDEE stands for?

Here is a great thread that explains TDEE:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • actonangels1
    Options
    Thanks. That helps a lot!
  • actonangels1
    Options
    It's funny. Every night I go to bed and I tell myself, "That's it!!" "I'm so done, and I am going to do this!" Wednesday comes along and it's my dart night. I think, "What's a couple of beers?" I come home, get the munchies, and eat! :( I'm good Thursday and Friday - come Friday night after a long week at work... Hubby has a few beers, so I do too! Saturday comes along, I eat good in the morning. Afternoon hits, maybe company drops in, we're sitting on the deck, "Hey, maybe I'll have a few beers!" (really, I'm not an alcoholic) Seems that way though doesn't it?

I know I see a pattern here.....BEER!

• sonjabowler
    Options
    I have days like that and I don't freak out. The next day I do a little extra at the gym, eat 3 really sensible meals and keep it moving! Just a small set back. If you keep thinking negative, you'll say "f" it and eat even more--I know, I use to do that alot!
    DON'T BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF :)