Maintaining While (Technically) Underweight

Options
Hi,

I have hit pretty close to my goal weight, but I am considered underweight for my height. I have been checked by a nutritionist and do have a very small bone structure. However, because I am technically underweight, I am having trouble determining how many calories I need to maintain and maybe loose a little body fat in favor of gaining lean mass.

I jog 2-3 times per week (I "eat back" those calories). I eat pretty well, but I will admit I have been eating less than I should over the summer due to some personal issues that had me distracted.

I am underweight now (108, 5'4"), but I have weighed as much as 136lbs so I can surely gain weight if I am not careful.

Anyone have any strategies they could share about maintaining in this situation?

Thanks!

Replies

• forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't think people on MFP are going to give you advice to maintain an unnaturally low weight. Why not gain to a normal weight while working out to build muscles?

If you go to a TDEE calculator, it should tell you how many calories to lose/gain/maintain weight.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Try to build muscle.
  • lamommy13
    lamommy13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't think people on MFP are going to give you advice to maintain an unnaturally low weight. Why not gain to a normal weight while working out to build muscles?

If you go to a TDEE calculator, it should tell you how many calories to lose/gain/maintain weight.

My point was that I think this *is* my natural, healthy weight set point.
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I was 148 pounds 10st 8 I am only 5ft 2 and was overweight for my height I was maintaining happily at 108 for my height a healthy weight.. Despite not doing anything different I started dropping again as low as 103.. Have clawed a pound back since.. Although still at a healthy bmi I am unhappy with this weight I look bloody terrible!! You can see my ribs.. My mum and my sister thought I had an eating disorder!! Not nice!! I have an intense gym schedule and a active lifestyle I am starting to see abs but what is the point if I look ribby? Just glad atm it's too cold for a bikini!! The amount of excersize I do now I need far more calories than I thought to maintain.. Before I lost weight I had never set foot in a gym before and now well I love it!! originally I thought it would be lovely to be 9st again 126 pounds and I got lower than I had ever been now hunting down a couple of pounds to cover those ribs!! I am only a short person so a couple of pounds will make all the difference in looking good again!! ;) everyone is different though body shape wise do your ribs jut out? If they do then it's hardly a good look and perhaps you need to gain abit ;)
  • lamommy13
    lamommy13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    steff274 wrote: »
    ... everyone is different though body shape wise do your ribs jut out? If they do then it's hardly a good look...)

Not even a little. lol. I gain *all* of my weight in my midsection. It's comfortably padding my yoga pants as I type this. :)

I have been trying to put on muscle. I mostly do yoga because I have limited time and like the psychological effects.

• JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I just plugged your height and weight into a bmi calculator and according to that, your weight is fine (18.5). It's on the low end, but some people are just on the smaller side and there's nothing wrong with that.

But you could plug in your stats here on mfp and set your goal to maintain your weight and it'll tell you how many calories you'll need. Just log as accurately as you can and if you have a food scale, it'll definitely come in handy.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you could add just 10 minutes of lifting to your yoga routine and jogging, you might get what you want. You might have to eat a bit more though, as it takes calories to build muscle.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and was 108 for a majority of the last 7-8 years. In the last few years I started weight training and gained weight (mostly muscle) while eating at maintenance or slightly above and lifting heavy. I look much better than I did at 108 despite only have gained 4 pounds, I am way more fit and defined, yet I still fit in most of my old clothes (some shirts are tight in the shoulders thanks to my nicely defined arms and shoulders, goodbye pipe cleaner arms). :) So my point was lift weights and don't be afraid to eat, my maintenance calories are around 1800-1900 per day.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

Technically you're not underweight you're right on the line at 18.5
    If you like your body and you're strong and healthy then stick with it. If not, add weight training and/or more food to your lifestyle.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    not underweight, but right on the edge. My partner is 5'6" 115, and is about the same BMI as OP, she has a small frame so OP, the weight should not be a worry. that said. pick maintenance as you MFP weekly goal and eat that plus your exercise cals back. Just ensure. If you want to gain a little lean mass, lift heavy, get adequate protein and eat 200-300 calories above maintenance/day
  • mangogirl272727
    mangogirl272727 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What makes you think it's your natural weight? May I ask what your ethnicity is? In most of Europe 20-25 is what is considered a healthy bmi. While there are people who are healthy at 18.5 it's actually rather rare (and usually involves someone of Asian heritage).
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I don't think your BMI makes any difference to your maintenance strategy, honestly. Keep logging your food. If you haven't changed your calorie goal from weight loss mode, then just add calories slowly until you stop losing. Accept that your maintenance weight isn't going to be just one number, but a range; for you that might mean something like 106-110 or 108-112. Monitor your weight regularly, and adjust your calorie goal if you move out of your maintenance range.

• SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    lamommy13 wrote: »

My point was that I think this *is* my natural, healthy weight set point.

If it is, maintaining won't be rocket science.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Ribs aren't a good indicator. Everyone's bone structure is different. My ribs jut out, and I am definitely not underweight..