Almond Milk

Options
Does anyone in the UK drink almond milk, i bought some last week from the only place i could find it (Holland & Barrett) but just discovered that its sweetened with agave syrup, is this bad ??

Sarah xo

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the UK, but I'm not a fan of agave nectar. It actually has more concentrated fructose than HFCS (high fructose corn syrup).
  • CallousMalice
    Options
    Oh.. I didn't know that. But is it as unhealthy? I mean, sweet is one thing, but agave is natural. HFCS isn't.

**Edit: I misspelled agave lol
  • pocketsam
    pocketsam Posts: 134
    Options
    Hiya,
    I drink it all the time. I buy mine from waitrose. Also sweetened with Agave. I use Agave syrup a lot too, its much better for you than using sugar, sweeteners etc.
    Have a little google about it and maybe pick some up too? Its great if you have a sweet tooth since its really sweet and you hardly need to use very much at all.
    I am pretty sure waitrose does it un sweetened too. Is it Ecomil?

ps - ever watched the show cook yourself thin? that rave about agave on that show. But like anything...good points and bad points with it. I ve used it for years and I am still alive XD
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    hi pocketsam is it ecomil but they only do the sweetened version, ive searched everywhere for it in the shops in the uk x
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Oh.. I didn't know that. But is it as unhealthy? I mean, sweet is one thing, but agave is natural. HFCS isn't.

**Edit: I misspelled agave lol

Agave is no more 'natural' than HFCS.
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of almond milk, but I do drink it. (I love my cereal and would rather the calories come from the "cereal" rather than the milk). The one I get is unsweetened and, even though I don't love the consistency, it's drinkable. I say you buy that one.
  • girliegirl14
    girliegirl14 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm not in the UK either, but Agave does cause your blood sugar to spike and will be stored in your body just like regular sugar. Truvia is a natural sweetener, if you can find it in the UK. It's definitely doesn't taste like sugar, but is a better substitute. Hope you can find the unsweetened version of almond milk! Good luck.
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Argave is fine, I use it all the time. Also you can make your own Almond milk really easily... look on line or send me a message if you want to know how.
  • girliegirl14
    girliegirl14 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thought this might help. I'm not a nutritionist. I just read a lot! Good luck.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    I'm in the states but I drink almond milk all the time. I usually get the lowfat unsweetened regular or unsweetened vanilla kind (it's got around 35 cals per cup compared to the vanilla sweetened 70-80 cals per cup). But I'm not sure as far as the issue with agave goes, I use it as a sweetener when cooking once in a blue moon and I've heard both good and bad things about it. I think that goes for most sweeteners tho, I just try to stay away from the super chemical-y ones..

Edit: That's an interesting article on agave, I (like a lot of people, I think) thought it was a lot more natural than that. I haven't used much of it in the first place, but I might rethink using any at all since honey tastes just as good anyway...