Personal Trainer

I'm debating as to whether I should sign up for 6 month to work with a trainer at my gym or not. I meet with a trainer for an assessment and know someone that has worked and is currently working with that same exact trainer and has had very good results, but I understand that every ones results are different. Any advice or feed back, good or bad, ?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    I had a personal trainer every other week while I was losing weight (I lost more than 130 pounds). I loved it - excellent accountability, he designed a strength training program for me that I repeated on my own between sessions, and he really helped me learn how to lift weights and design programs on my own. Generally, he helped me to stay motivated and though I probably would have been successful regardless, he really helped me to reach my goals.

Now I buy smaller packages of sessions whenever I'm feeling bored or just want some form-checks.

If you have a personal recommendation from a friend, and can afford the sessions, I say go for it. Perhaps ask if they offer a free session to try it out first, though? A 6 month commitment is a big one. How often would you have sessions?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    As with any relationship, there can be personality clashes or maybe you'll find you just don't like their style/methods/approach or just don't agree with their advice. If that were to happen, can you get out of that 6 month contract without much hassle? If not, ask for something shorter term, like maybe a month.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    If you can afford it and feel that the trainer will bring something to the table that you can't achieve on your own, then go for it.

Trainers can be great if accountability is your issue and can design a program for you if you're unsure how to start out.

Personally I would want to try out a session before committing to 6 months. This trainer may have great results with other clients, but I would want to make sure your personalities are compatible, etc.
  • Bwneyegirl
    Bwneyegirl Posts: 28
    edited October 2014
    The accountability and the fact that they design a workout routine based on your goals is exactly the reason why I would like to work with a trainer.

I can afford the 6 month contract and think it would be a good investment. They originally try to get you to sign up to 1 year but I rather try 6 months first and them reevaluate after that.

I can chose to see a trainer once or twice a week, but of course the price changes.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    I love my twice a month personal trainer sessions, HOWEVER, yes, it is expensive, and I would be very wary of having a 6 month contract. What if you don't like him/her or you feel you aren't getting what you want out of it anymore?
  • Thanks ladies for all your input and advice!

I am starting to think that maybe 6 months IS a long commitment. I will have to go back to my gym and ask them to give me and explain all of my options before committing to anything.
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Do it! You wont regret it. Just remember that you have to do more than just sessions with your PT. I have been with mine for 4 months now. I wasnt really serious about it til 10 weeks ago. I text him constantly with questions about food and certain exercises to do without him. Hes really become more of a friend now. Its nice to have one more supporter as well. :)