Flat stomach, how?

Options
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've been logged on, but still keeping up with the weight loss and enjoying my smaller size! I still have a bit of a problem though, and hoping someone can help me out. I've lost roughly 15 pounds, but I still have this 'pudge' on my stomach that won't flatten. I'm assuming this is going to be solved somehow through a certain exercise, though I'm not sure what.

I'm not looking for washboard abs, so I know sit-ups and crunches are probably not the answer, but could be wrong. I just want my tummy to be nice and flat, but don't we all? :)

Replies

• evedavies
    evedavies Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FitForCrete1
    Options
    bump
  • onlyJoanna
    Options
    The stomach is always one of the last places to go (your body naturally pads there in case you happen to get pregnant), but doing situps/crunches should help somewhat.
  • TwiFan5
    TwiFan5 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I would like to know the same thing.
  • chrisallcock
    Options
    ive seen many posts like this and other people have always said its the diet you choose that will help shift it, apparently you can do sit ups all day long and they wont help so a good diet is what you (and me) need
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    You need to work your whole core area...You need cardio & strength trainin' ( weights ) and a proper clean diet...We all have abs, they are just hidin' under a layer of fat - that you need to get rid of. Drink lots of water as well...Do you have a workout program that you use? :smile:
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    The stomach is always one of the last places to go (your body naturally pads there in case you happen to get pregnant), but doing situps/crunches should help somewhat.

Good point about it being the last to go, but I notice you have 14 more lbs to go until your goal, maybe once you lose the last 14 it will be gone anyway? Just a thought... Good luck!!
  • angechilada
    angechilada Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yeah. You can't spot reduce fat. Doing weight training overall is good because muscle burns fat even when you aren't working it, but diet is really the most important part. Your body chooses where it stores fat, so it also chooses where it burns fat when you lose weight. I've lost 35 pounds and I still have a tiny bit of fat that won't go away, but my biggest problem are my arms. They still have a bit of flab. But I do weights 5x a week and I've seen pretty great results! :)
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    A Pilates instructor once told me the only time you should not be holding in your abs is when you are sleeping or dead.

There are lots of ab exercises on Youtube.
  • caat1rules
    caat1rules Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No particular exercise is going to target that. Your body is going to lose fat the way it wants regardless to what exercises you do. Go to GOALS tab and change goals to manual. From there you can change the % of proteins, carbs, and fat. Try lowering your carbs to around 30%, Protein at 50% and fat at 20%. This, with a reasonable amount of cardio, should lower your body fat in short order. Lowering you body fat % is the only way you’re going to get rid of your problem area.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Ab work is a must to help stabilize your core and prevent injuries.

As far as getting a flat stomach, I've learned for myself - it's fiborous foods. If I eat lots of brocoli, the pudge is there. If I eat more of leafy greens, not so much.

You may need to experiment with the the types of foods you are eating and monitor how they make your stomach feel.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Thel ast 14lbs may make the difference in your stomach, especially if you dont have much to lose else where.
  • kimialibby
    kimialibby Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A good friend once told me that Abs are maintained in the kitchen.... It's true... when I make poor food choices I can see it in my abs!
  • askhawaja
    Options
    A good friend once told me that Abs are maintained in the kitchen.... It's true... when I make poor food choices I can see it in my abs!

As much as I hate this fact - it's actually spot on.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    agreed with that kitchen comment, but ALSO i gotta say that most ppl think that doing crunches will solve their stomach problem... now.... while it can help, and i personally adore doing abdominal exercises, your abs should actually be getting a workout throughout your entire workout and throughout the day..... When you do ANYTHING just make sure you abs are tight. I keep my abs 'sucked in' all day, xcept they are not really sucked in, this is now just their natural state. your core is required to do all other work, lifting, running, yoga, etc... keep your tummy in the whole day and slowly it will firm up further.

doing this improves your posture and generally makes you look better :)
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I had a baby 7 months ago now and never thought I would get back my naturally flat tummy but I nearly have so it can be done!

Different things work for different people but for me it was lots and lots of cardio that burned the fat off and then as I get closer to goal I am doing more strength training, Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack to tone up and incorporating crunches, reverse crunches and planks into my gym routine.
  • heather0709
    heather0709 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I need to get my stomach flatter also and it's hard!
  • fitbot
    Options
    one small tip- walk around all day sucking it in.

:)
  • BetterJenny
    BetterJenny Posts: 50
    Options
    I've heard sucking it in as often as possible helps. I bought myself a dvd from Walmart called "Better Belly Yoga"...it focuses on your core. I'm just getting started so I haven't gotten to that dvd yet but I'll let you know how it works for me
  • fitbot
    Options
    sucking in also gives you better posture. and yes yoga is an amazing core strngthener