Bicycle!

Options
I'm looking to buy a women's hybrid bicycle in the near future, and I am not sure where to start when it comes to brands, etc. Does anyone have any input on good bikes to look into? I'm only looking to spend $300-500. Any help would be appreciated! :D

Replies

• Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    Carera subway, cheap and an awesome bike! You can't go wrong with a subway.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    What do you want to use it for - is it for fun/leisure or for getting to work each day?
  • keynesian
    keynesian Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Go and have a chat in an independent bike shop for the best advice and to be measured.
  • chipbryan
    Options
    As a former bike shop owner and an avid cyclist who rides about 150 milkes a week, my advice would be to ask around in your area and seek out the best 2-3 local bike shops. Then one Saturday spend half the day visiting each one of them and spend time letting them educate you and test ride some bikes. If you are going to take up cycling for fitness and recreation, you are going to need a good local bike shop that you can develop a relationship with.

The fit of your bike is very important, as is the ability to have it maintained and adjusted free of charge under the warranty and service plans that bike shops provide. While there are certianly decent bikes available at Department Stores and Warehouse Clubs, the service aspect is nonexistent.

Cycling is a great sport/hobby with a very strong social presence in many areas, so I would also do some surfing to find out names of local clubs in your area...they can be a great resource/motivator/support network when you are starting out...

I am happy to offer detailed info, but until you are a little further into the process, it is premature. Best of luck, and let us know how you progress!
  • ineednapkin
    ineednapkin Posts: 151
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I am looking to ride for fitness and leisure, and I am really excited about buying a bike, I just can't really look right now because I'm in the Middle East. I come home soon, so I definitely plan on going to my local cycle shop, I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. I can't wait!! Thanks again for the input :D
  • johnmcfarm
    Options
    Hi, I would highly recommend you check out Trek bicycles. We have three Trek Hybrids. I think you can find one that you like for around the $500 price. Indeed, here is one that is under $400: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/bike_path/hybrid/700wsd/

I don't think I would get too hung up with buying a "girls" styled bike too much. My wife and daughter ride a "boys" bike and like it just fine.

We ride quite a bit, I put on over a 1,000 mile per year usually. In fact, my favorite way to travel is on bicycle. We do three to four day trips each summer. Always an adventure.

Thank you for your service and defense of our country!

John
  • PhilipHall
    PhilipHall Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Marin sells a very good bike and you will end up paying less than a trek or cannondale with the same components. You can also look for deals at your local bike shop. People come in all the time especially now, selling their older bike and upgrading to a newer one. Most of the time, there is nothing wrong with these older bikes, the previous owner just wants a new lighter, faster, upgrade. I have just gotten back into cycling and am dropping weight fast (2 lbs/ wk) by keeping cals down to 1500/ wk and cycling or running 3 or 4 days a week. Good luck in your search for a new bike!
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I vote trying to find a Trek bike. I found a 2nd hand one at al;ocal shop and wouldn't trade it for anything. Thing flies too!!