I used to feel justified...

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    i may or may not have eaten a donut while reading this. but im within my calorie goal so i dont care :D

I have donuts regularly. :) They're less calories than that stupid chocolate bar!
    I think the thing about it that bugged me most was the fact that I love my treats, and I have them often... but I didn't really want that treat, and I had it any way. I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd enjoy a donut and coffee from Tim Horton's, and so it felt like a serious waste of calories.

The lesson that stood out from it though, was kind of worth the hit.

Oh, and I threw in 45 mins of zumba and managed to come in 19 cals under goal! WAHOO!

Yay, you! Those are some hard lessons that we seem to need to keep learning again and again.

I was reading that things like candy arouse your dopamine response. The thing is, while dopamine makes you FEEL like there's going to be a terrific payoff, there never really is because pay-off is an endorphin function. So, looking at a bar of chocolate or smelling a cake makes you FEEL like you are going to encounter mind-blowing yumminess, that's not always your experience - especially after the first few bites. So, a lot of time there's a feeling of let-down after snacking. We just don't remember that when our dopamine system kicks in over the next bag of chips.

And I know you know what reliably gives you the endorphin high promised by the dopamine response....

Wow, interesting share. Never thought of food that way (my sex life, yea. Food no :laugh: ) Thanks for sharing this. /nods head

:flowerforyou:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Hehe. IN for more effective and fun ways of getting that endorphin rush!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I meant the Zumba, sillies!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,787 Member
    For me it was potatoes and walking. "Oh, I walked a mile to the store today, it's totally fine to eat a pound of buttery mash (or a whole sheet of roasted or a plateful of fried) potatoes." I was well aware of the damage most other foods could do but I had a real blind spot about those dratted potatoes! Similarly, I knew walking wasn't exactly high-impact but I didn't know how truly low-key it was until I started using a Fitbit and MFP.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    For me it was potatoes and walking. "Oh, I walked a mile to the store today, it's totally fine to eat a pound of buttery mash (or a whole sheet of roasted or a plateful of fried) potatoes." I was well aware of the damage most other foods could do but I had a real blind spot about those dratted potatoes! Similarly, I knew walking wasn't exactly high-impact but I didn't know how truly low-key it was until I started using a Fitbit and MFP.

Bah. I can burn 400+ calories walking at the gym for an hour. It's all about the speed and incline.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

I thought, by becoming a runner, I could eat anything. Yeah. 100 calories a mile. So, if I run a 5k, I take care of the calories with the gatorade beforehand and the chocolate mile after.

Now I'm bulking. Cookie-city, right? Wrong. 200 extra calories a day. That's an apple with peanut butter.
  • MireyGal76
    I ate sooooo much this thanksgiving weekend... but I went out dancing and did lotsa yard work... so it all evens out... right? Yeah, probably not. LOL

Raising this thread from the dead because I needed to read it again. :blush:
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Im distracted by the fact that someone actually thought it was a good idea to put fruit in a chocolate bar... what an abomination...
    Now what were you saying???
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    JCM1969 wrote: »
    Im distracted by the fact that someone actually thought it was a good idea to put fruit in a chocolate bar... what an abomination...

Totally with you there.
  • MireyGal76
    Hey, people do chocolate covered raisins, blueberries, etc all the time.
    #nojudging

lol

the "fruit" in this case is some raisin. :)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    That is my favorite bar and though I may talk about eating small portions of fast food, I don't even bother messing with that anymore. I know I can't just eat the 2 squares.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    I used to do this. That's how I got to over 350 pounds. I have found a lot of chocolate treats that are just 100 calories or less and as long as I measure everything I feel like I do ok.
  • MireyGal76
    Indeed... I can eat one square of dark chocolate and be satisfied... but the fruit n nut bar is like crack. I need to stay away from those.
  • I can totally relate. Been there too. Funny thing is, I knew better but I still justified my indulgences.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

you are not alone- I can barely tolerate nuts in mine. I like chocolate like I like my cocaine- pure and off a Taiwanese hoo... oh wait- never mind.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    Hey, people do chocolate covered raisins, blueberries, etc all the time.
    #nojudging

lol

the "fruit" in this case is some raisin. :)

If you haven't had Trader Joe's chocolate covered bing cherries... you haven't lived sucka.
  • dbmata
    JoRocka wrote: »

you are not alone- I can barely tolerate nuts in mine. I like chocolate like I like my cocaine- pure and off a Taiwanese hoo... oh wait- never mind.

I work for a chinese company. You shoppin'? lol.
  • missy5290
    missy5290 Posts: 68 Member

Made me think of this Family Guy Scene

"Ugh, look they have Chunky bars. What a god awful mess those things are. Chocolate with raisins in it. Yeah, yeah that's what kids want with their chocolate, fruit. Why don't you put sunflower seeds in the Ding Dongs while you're at it."
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

I work for a chinese company. You shoppin'? lol.

It's like food- I'm not always hungry- but I can usually always eat... plus you never know when a good sale is coming around- and I'm a woman- I can't turn down a good sale ;)
  • dbmata
    HAHAHAHAHA, that kills me.

Well done.