Replies

• Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I workout alone. It's my me time.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't have it any other way. It's my me time when nobody messes with me. NO asking me where things are or stopping to talk because they know I will lose my count and that bugs me to death. I don't like distractions.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Hells yes!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout alone. I exchange a few words between sets, and will ask for a spotter when necessary, but beyond that I'd rather be left alone to get on with it.

I don't like gym partners yelling at me that I can do one more rep.

A. If my muscles are out of ATP, shouting at me won't generate more.
    B. Even if I can do one more rep, unless I am specifically trying for a rep max, you're just screwing with my programming.
  • jorge_ta83
    jorge_ta83 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Nothing more beautiful than an empty gym (for my selfish purposes lol).

I wouldn't mind a training buddy though, who kindly get my rear moving to go to the gym.

So yeah, I currently work out alone.

• moma3_00
    moma3_00 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't know how I would do it all without the people around me. I go to the group fitness classes and class-friends keep me honest - ask me why I'm not there and such if I miss.

I ALWAYS run with my friend because if it weren't for her, I'd run much slower and wouldn't go the whole way. I wouldn't be a runner if she weren't there pushing me to keep going. :)

As for weight lifting, lately I have been working a trainer once a week, and I find that I lift more weight when I'm with her, I guess since she can spot me AND because she inspires me. I also lift with my running friend once a week and it's good because, not that we are competing, I feel like I try SO much harder when she's there. Plus, if I see a defect in her form, it helps me to correct it in mine.

Still, I do lift by myself in the VERY early mornings and I have found that I enjoy having my music on and getting lost in my workout.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I would love to go to the gym with the guy I'm seeing but when he benches 2.5x my weight as a workout and I can barely put up 80#, he's a little intimidating. Although I may have to give it a shot. It might be pretty fun.

Most of the time I do go alone though. I like the alone time but it would be nice to have a spotter since my workouts are getting a little heavy.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I'm sure if I told my boyfriend this he would take it the wrong way too. But it is true, there are many things that I enjoy doing alone, just because of the type of person I am. Working out is one of them. I get into my zone and forget about everything around me. The next step is to leave my actual phone at home and use a mp3 player for music. Zero distractions during my time!

Exactly! Husband, seriously, we live together -what on earth would we need to talk about when I'm on the treadmill?! Shhhhhhh.... No cell phone for me, either. It stays in my locker. Everyone can live without me for that short time.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I put together a home gym as I prefer to workout alone, and not be bothered. My time. Unless it is the wife's squat day, then I stick around to check out her.......form.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    me too. But I don't like people.

I don't like people either .. at least at the gym unless they have a nice smile. I could never work out with someone unless they were a personal trainer and there would be a benefit to do so. I do group classes all the time though. It just makes it more fun, cause really it is not like a workout.
  • mundaycarroll
    mundaycarroll Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like doing cardio by myself. But when it comes to lifting I like have a partner with me. I don't push myself as hard during the lifting portion so it's nice to have someone there who is going to make me go harder.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Nope. I like doing my own thing when I want to do it. Plus being with myself isn't so bad. LOL
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Not only do I workout alone, I lock the door if the spare bedroom where I exercise so HE can't get in to interrupt me. I do DVDs and free weights I need to focus on form and not injuring myself.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do hikes and runs alone, I like going at my own pace. I am not opposed to strength training with a partner though
  • thingofstuff
    thingofstuff Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love group classes with my best friend, but I am way more productive alone. My boyfriend and I like to go at the same time and do different things, but stretching together after is always pleasant.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Major introvert here.

I built a home gym in my garage :smiley:
  • phil230532
    phil230532 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Alone. More convenient to go out the front door on my schedule for an early morning run. And twice a week do strength training at the local Y alone. More time efficient. Don't have to wait on anyone.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,367 Member
    Options
    I like working out alone too. I'm introverted and need to deal with people all day long so my work outs are "me" time. I like to just put in my headphones, get my work out in and then go about the rest of my evening

Other than the fact that I work out first thing in the morning and then go about the rest of my day... this is me too.

I don't even let my SO hang out and watch. It's my time to myself.
  • seanhamilton
    seanhamilton Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym and love working out there. Commercial gyms piss me off
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Anyone else like this? I tried going to the gym with my boyfriend, and to be brutally honest, I don't like it. Nothing against him, but I really enjoy working out alone. Maybe that's why I never really liked group classes...
    Same here; I am internally motivated and find that a workout partner slows me down and group sessions are just not challenging.