How can I avoid "sweet" cravings?

Options
Sometimes when I have a GREAT day, like when I got running in the morning, eat well and drink tons of water I have a severe craving for something at night. And before I know it I have sucked down 2-5 cups of ice cream, or cinnamon rolls, or some of my boyfriends sugary cereal. What do I do?

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Prelog/preportion something sweet into your day. I also find eating lots of filling food (high protein, fiber and fat) help keep me from wanting to overeat on sweets at the end of the day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fruit, especially berries. Very sweet, very yummy and low-cal!

Eventually, when you get used to not indulging every craving, they will stop. It a bad habit that needs breaking, that's all. :)
  • SarahRDanaher
    SarahRDanaher Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I really do need to focus on portion control.
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Sweets are my downfall. Something that's worked for me is dark chocolate. Not a whole candy bar obviously, but a couple pieces normally hit the spot.

Sometimes when I'm desperate and I have no chocolate, I'll get some plain Greek yogurt add 1/2 sliced banana and drizzle agave over it. Or something along those lines.

Unfortunately, I have not found a way to avoid the cravings. They are there.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I know some people are anti-artificial sweeteners, but I find that drinking a sugar free root beer or eating a sugar free dark chocolate pudding cup hits the spot.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When I lived in a student house I would keep my sweet things in the kitchen, my social anxiety would stop me from venturin in there to grab things to eat at night since there would be people over watching TV in there.
    Since coming back to my Mum's, I have free range of the kitchen. I try not to have sweet things in the house unless they are things I have to prepare! Then it's a matter of if I'm too lazy to make something to eat or not. If I am prepared to make something, my "go-to"s are sliced up berries, air popped popcorn made with coconut oil and with icing sugar sprinkle or my current favourite is the former alongside a muller light dessert- 99 cals a pot and they come in flavours of chocolate, white chocolate, mint, fudge and chocolate orange. They are pots of heaven! I hope they are available where you are!
  • CdnRower
    CdnRower Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to willpower and holding yourself accountable. I like sweets on occasion, god who doesn't? I have a personal contract with myself that if I have any sweets I have to do 100 burpees the next day. Trust me, I don't have sweets very often :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Prelog/preportion something sweet into your day. I also find eating lots of filling food (high protein, fiber and fat) help keep me from wanting to overeat on sweets at the end of the day.

This^

Plan for something sweet. They day will come when you are in maintenance......this will be like managing your sweet tooth forever. I still have some work to do myself.
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The less sugar you eat, the less sugar you crave. Please stop keeping all of those things in your house! My favorite go to snack is Trader Joe's brand dark chocolate covered banana slices. Dove makes them too, but TJs is better. Soooo decadent! Just have 1 or 2 slices, and only buy one box at a time.
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes! thats my saving grace! I know that at the end of the day I get a chocolate or chocolate peanut butter shake! :) Dark chocolate is also good, you can eat 5 dark chocolate kisses for 100 cal!
  • jaggerjia
    Options
    Dark chocolate a/o open and just sniff vanilla extract.
  • BigDaddyBooth
    BigDaddyBooth Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a sucker for ice cream, and it sounds like you are as well. Every week I buy these Great Value ice cream cups. They come in vanilla and chocolate, and only have 100 calories.

It's actually good ice cream, and it's portion controlled! I leave calories each night for it, and it's my daily sweet.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    For some of us, sweet tastes pique our appetites for more sweet tastes. Try avoiding naturally or artificially sweetened drinks and see if that helps with the cravings. Worked for me.
  • misswhitney1
    misswhitney1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Half of a sliced apple or a cup of grapes - there's enough actual sugar in there to give me a fix, usually.

Also, watermelon or strawberry flavored EXTRA/Orbit chewing gum in the afternoon when I start to fade.
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    OK so I'm not a Shakeology "pusher"...but I'm not kidding it works when it comes to cravings. I don't know if it's because of the vitamins & protein it has or what. Since I've been drinking Shakeology once a day my cravings have been amazingly minimal. Just my two cents. :#
  • jke78
    jke78 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sweets are my downfall. Something that's worked for me is dark chocolate. Not a whole candy bar obviously, but a couple pieces normally hit the spot.

Unfortunately, I have not found a way to avoid the cravings. They are there.

This is my answer. I keep a bag of Hershey's dark chocolate kisses. 20 cal each, I'll have a couple here and there, it really helps.

• Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    frozen fruit, fruit/honey, funsize/treatsize bars of chocolate, low calorie hot chocolate, frozen yoghurt, nuts, dried fruit :)
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    also freezing chocolate bars is helpful, makes them last longer
  • PinkPupper
    PinkPupper Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Eat more ripe fruit. Bananas are the perfect thing for a sweet tooth.
    Just remember bananas are not ripe until they have speckles. I like to call them freckles. haha
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    A friend once told me to eat a pickle when I craved chocolate. What works for me is to save calories for chocolate milk that I mix at home (Nesquik in skim milk). Hot or cold depending on the season. I hope you find what works for you ! ! !