Researching Lifting Form

Options
Hello!
So I know absolutely nothing about weights, except for the fact that I want to start lifting them.
Being more of a visual person, I would really like to study the proper form before I throw myself into a strength program.
I realize that youtube would be a great starting place, but I'm worried I'll fall victim to somebody saying they have correct form but really being quite awful.

Any recommendations on where I should start my research?

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com is a great resource as well.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/

This is my favorite. I look under the workouts tab. They show a video and pics for most of the workouts.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Check out starting strength, the book.
  • Lifts4IceCream
    Lifts4IceCream Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When it comes to YouTube resources/channels: Scott Herman Fitness, Lee Hayward, Physiques of Greatness, HASfit, Omarisuf, just to name of few, are all reputable resources for good advise, just search for the exercise you want to do, and see if any of the above channels have an instructional video for it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Elliot Hulse.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I like Elliot Hulse as well. I also like Scott Herman. I have watched some Bret Contreras stuff but he is pretty long-winded, albeit thorough. Burgener is always good for oly stuff, although you always feel like he is mad at you. For mobility stuff, I love Kelly Starrett.
  • dbmata
    Options
    his eyes.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5, google it
  • TJP_
    TJP_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Jonnie Candito (CanditoHQ), he has a website and youtube channel. Kid can really lift, his form is amazing.
  • aztec707
    aztec707 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    ExRx.net is the Oxford Encyclopedia of exercises.

It might look confusing - Just click the body part you want to work (ie, Thighs), and it will show you exercises for that (ie, Lunges), and you will see good form, and a breakdown.
  • TJP_
    TJP_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Exrx is OK, but a few lines of text accompanying a small gif isn't going to be nearly as valuable as watching an experienced lifter talking you through the perfect form in a video
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Exercises are one thing, but following a program like Stronglifts or New Rules which help you develop your overall physique and fitness is much better approach than randomly stitching together piecemeal workouts. Bodybuilding.com as suggested before does have really great resources for both programs and exercises.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    This response is very true. Your muscles work together in groups. So you really have to think holistically when working out. This helps ensure a balanced physique from not only an aesthetic standpoint but also a functional/mobility standpoint.

Example: if you over develop the chest compared to the back you make your susceptible to shoulder problems. Or if you overdevelop quads compared to hamstrings you set yourself up for knee problems.

Exercises are one thing, but following a program like Stronglifts or New Rules which help you develop your overall physique and fitness is much better approach than randomly stitching together piecemeal workouts. Bodybuilding.com as suggested before does have really great resources for both programs and exercises.
  • flip212
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com & Ex/Rx are both great references.
  • ehuschka
    ehuschka Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! I'm looking at starting a program, just want to visually see everything first.
  • dbmata
    Options
    212019156 wrote: »
    Or if you overdevelop quads compared to hamstrings you set yourself up for knee problems.
    Which can take months or longer to resolve. Personal experience there.
  • megstoo
    megstoo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It would be more beneficial to get a coach or a personal trainer for at least 1 hour so they can show you proper form to avoid injury.
  • dbmata
    Options
    that's a reasonable idea.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Some of the B.U.F.F. Dudes form videos on Youtube are good too.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Some of the B.U.F.F. Dudes form videos on Youtube are good too.
    Those are helpful too.

Are those guys twins?