Doing more pull ups help!

Options
2»

Replies

• gamerguy123
    gamerguy123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    These last two posts have been awesome advice. I will definitely do that stretch. I can do a few hammer ups like the video calls them--from the video I think I actually am doing those right.

All these posts have been awesome. I am thinking about starting a new thread, posting my entire workout routine. Maybe I can get some pointers on what to add...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Since you can do 4 neutral grip chin ups, one thing you could attempt would be to program those in but staying away from failure on a per-set basis and build volume over weeks.

One example would be to train N-grip chins like this 2-3 days/week:

Week 1:
    1,1,1 (omit this if you decide to train these 2/week)

Week 2:

Week 3:

Week 4:

Then around week 5 attempt:

Week 6
    etc
    etc
    etc

Now granted this is just 1 method and there's all kinds of variables with respect to the remainder of your training program, but the idea here is to stay away from failure on a per-set basis and increase training volume over time, eventually increasing reps per set while backing down on total volume and re-adding volume.

Either way, you'll likely want to do the following things:

1) Train vertical pulling. Supplement with assisted and/or eccentric (timed negatives) work as needed.

2) Train horizontal pulling.

3) Lose weight

4) Increase training volume over time.

I would suspect that once you are training 5-6 rep sets of neutral grip, your max will be closer to 8-9, and at that point you will probably have also added 1-2 supinated grip chins to your max and you might be able to do a couple of overhand pullups.

At some point when the above occurs you could switch grips and start your progression over based on current max number of reps.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Just keep building strength in the chin-up and set small goals, 5, 10, 15, etc. Are you joining the military and getting tested in the pull-up? If not, then don't stress about it just work the chin-up which is your strongest position and you will improve strength in your latissimus, posterior delts, etc. You will get strong enough to do regular pull-ups, I guarantee it.

If you're really savvy then get a pull-up bar for your house and put it in the closet or something. Everytime you go into that room, do pull-ups.
  • Upekkha20
    Upekkha20 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would honestly have to disagree a little with the additional accessory back work. If you want to do pull ups->do pull ups. I definitely agree with those who suggested doing them assisted in some way.

Accessory work is great if you are targeting a certain muscle for body building.

But a pull up is already a great compound exercise. Doing them assisted will obviously train all the muscles you need to do them in the first place. So I personally would not recommend extensive back workouts just to do a pull up.

I think the resistance band assistance is great. But once you can successfully do them--its all about progressive load from there!

You'll get them in time. And once you do, it is a great feeling to walk up to the pull up bar confidently and bang out a few sets.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Meh- I had to take a PT test in college- I trained exclusively through occasional pull ups- and mostly extremely heavy lat pull down training. If you can find the right cocktail for YOU- you can really make it go a long way.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hey. All good advice, I just wanted to add, maybe try weighting your chin-ups. I can only manage 3 chin-ups in a row and 1 pull-up :( but I've added weight to the chins so that hopefully when I do them with just bodyweight getting more reps should be easier.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Jorocka your so right about actualizing the muscle. The back area is the hardest ,its so easy to let the biceps and shoulders take the lead. I started shooting a compound bow 4 years ago and still have a hard time isolating what they call your bow muscle. The best shooters only have to relax that muscle to trigger their release.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Buy a door frame pull up bar and every time you walk by it, do a set till failure. You'll have wings in no time.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Great advice from joerocka the whole way thru this thread.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Buy a door frame pull up bar and every time you walk by it, do a set till failure. You'll have wings in no time.

Early on in progress I agree with this. At one point I could only 2 reps and I bought one for my home and put it in my bedroom, I did 1 rep everytime I walked in the room and I would add a couple reps as my max reps improved. Eventually my pull-up strength got considerably stronger and I started using 5 sets of reps @ 50% of max reps. So if could do 10 reps, then I would do 5 x 5 for one week. Then next week I will do 5 x 6, then 5x7, and so on. Right now I can do 12 reps @ BW +30lbs. I don't do any other upper back work other than a couple sets of DB Rows once per week and a couple sets of Pendlay Rows once per week, but I do pull-ups / chin-ups 3 days a week and rotate grips as well.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Dear god that sounds brutal Sam.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Dear god that sounds brutal Sam.

It's not bad, I only train 3x week so I have plenty of time to recover. But I definitely get the most out of those 3 days.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options

I have one at home. Love it.

• gamerguy123
    gamerguy123 Posts: 48 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I like this idea a lot, especially since I can do them at home . But I actually tried this out and I couldn't fit it in my door frame. I have an older conodo. I will try buying another one see if that fits. If it doesn't Wal-Mart returns are pretty good.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I like this idea a lot, especially since I can do them at home . But I actually tried this out and I couldn't fit it in my door frame. I have an older conodo. I will try buying another one see if that fits. If it doesn't Wal-Mart returns are pretty good.[/quote]

This is the one I have. Bought it a few years back at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I take a lot of group classes and working on them at home gave me the confidence to know I could do them in classes with no problems.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Iron-Gym-Total-Body-Workout-Bar/17435150?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=91962754534&category=0:4125:4134:1026285:1074344&client_guid=d32fb5fe-8bbd-4a9c-ab66-740defe0c8c4&config_id=2&parent_item_id=11064295&guid=498cf19e-4e88-4e5c-a9d7-a28bbec973c7&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Negative Pull ups (get your chest/chin to the bar- lower yourself slowly back down)
    Assisted pull ups (band or machine)
    Lat pull downs
    Lat press downs
    barbell rows
    db rows
    Australian/inverted rows

keep doing the things, it gets better.

+1

The only thing I would add is to be sure to use a full range of motion for your pull-ups. I see many people in the gym perform many reps but "cheat" by not using a full range of motion. It is better to do fewer reps with proper form than more reps without a full range of motion
  • browndog1410
    Options
    To gamerguy123, everyone had to start at some point. I was in the army over 35 years ago and could barely do 2 chinups. Over the years i started then stopped. About 18 months ago I started again in a committed fashion. Now, aged 55 I can do 30 wide grip pull-ups, or 10 with 30 pounds weighed belt. My lats grew and grew with improved reps and sets (as did my biceps and shoulders).
    Bottom line: don't worry what others can or cant do but just focus on what you can do. You'll get there.