calf injury/charlie horse? OGM the pain

Options
ok so I was playing basket ball yesterday with my 2 sons age 6 and 8 and felt like I was slammed in the calf with a hard ball and could barely walk back into the house. I stretched rubbed it with muscle cream and then before bed soaked in a hot bath, but man even today it is still painful to walk.

I made sure I ate a banana for the potassium but I don't know how it will get better before I have to do a 5k mother's day run.
It is like the muscle is so tight and bound up.

Any ideas for recovery?

Replies

• pammy59
    pammy59 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen when I was walking excessively 7 years ago. Charlie horse in calf. Painful. No relief. Unfortunately mine was not a muscle issue, it was a blood clot. Worth a trip to a physician to have evaluated. Hope you feel better soon!
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    K I am gonna try to explain this to you the best I can by text...I ussually have to show people. So opposing muscles work against each other hence the word antagonist. So to release the back calf muscles you need resist the motion of the tib anterior muslce which is the one along your shin. This muscle helps you bring your toes towards your chest, so take that foot and place it under something SUPER heavy. All you want to do is act like you are going to pick it up and of course actually try. Firing the tib anterior/shin muscles into a resisted state will force the calf muscles to relax. You need to hold this for about 30 seconds each time. Continue to do this as many times as possible. This should help some. Keep ice on the muscles for the next few days.

keep me posted on how its doing.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for that I will have to try it and maybe even think about the blood clot thing too...anything is possible buy I have been exercising so for my muscles to bail on a simple game of horse is pretty lame.