Tesco Food Shopping

Options
Right so its pay day 2mz for me - and i'm going tesco to do a food shop. What should I put on my shopping list?

Replies

• bethanymelton
    bethanymelton Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Lots of fresh fruits and veggies!:wink:
  • Angiebug1969
    Options
    Awe... I just had a rush of memories!! My hubby & I lived in England for 4 years while he was in the US Air Force... I use to shop at Tesco all the time near Cambridgeshire!

As for your shopping list... I only suggest stearing clear of their fresh raspberry donuts! WHOA those were my downfall back in the early 90's!! YUM! hahaha!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Protein and Lean Meats/Fish.
  • michelle6006
    Options
    wholemeal bread and water ( mine has to be sparkling ) and i cant live without my hartleys sugar free jelly !! ( 16 cal per half pint !)
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Make sure you go early, by lunch time all they ever have left is the wrinkly dried out veg. The salmon is half price at the mo so stop by the fish counter too.
  • Laurab_1986
    Laurab_1986 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Tesco Donuts are so yummy I agree!!!

I guess they are a no no!
  • Laurab_1986
    Options
    Jelly Check!!!

Trying to avoid bread its making me really bloated x
  • Laurab_1986
    Options
    Thanks Vicky - but I don't like fish apart from prawns (nor cheese) geez I'm too damn fussy!!!
  • msenior
    msenior Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I'll be doing the same thing. I will be looking at the nutritional facts very closely
  • lanenalatina
    lanenalatina Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Lots of fresh fruits and veggies!:wink:

I second that good luck:wink:

6540321.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Thanks Vicky - but I don't like fish apart from prawns (nor cheese) geez I'm too damn fussy!!!

Keep an eye on the fish counter then, they often have half price raw prawns. They are easy to cook and taste much better then the precooked ones reheated. They freeze and defrost them for the counter so you need to ask for ones from the freezer.

Quorn has become an essential for us. We used to eat a lot of minced beef in shepards pie, lasagna, bolagnese etc and quorn mince is cheaper and lower in fat than minced beef. Some people suggest using minced turkey or chicken instead but i think that is so far from the flavour it tastes awful to me. We also use the quorn chicken style piecesand fillets too. Tesco's own vegi mince is terrible, it really needs to be quorn.
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Spinach! :D
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i do a rough menu for the week and work out all i will need for the recipies and try oh so hard to stick to that list... start with chicken, lean meat, fish... veggies, fruit, water and so on
  • Laurab_1986
    Options
    Thank you for your guidance!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Are you shopping for only yourself, for for a family?

If only for yourself, Tesco pledge that their ready prepared meals contain only ingredients that you'd find in your own kitchen and some of their meals can be inexpensive. For instance after 1st May for three weeks their frozen "Light Choices" meals will be 5 for £4! :)
  • ellenangel
    ellenangel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Love Tesco! They have some new low-fat cottage cheese in cool flavours like pesto + red peppet. Might be good salad toppings! Also some new frozen Quorn products which are pretty low calorie.

I love their own brand of frozen veggie burgers- around 90 calories each and either can eat as a burger, or chop up with some light Dolmio and eat on a bed of spaghetti/vegetables for a bolognese-type dish that is easier to portion control!

Other things I LOVE:
    - Quark (by the cream cheese- 1/2 tub is about 80 cals and 15g protein, fat free- can stir into hot foods and it melts really well to coat pasta/veg/whatever, and add salsa or something for flavour- or, add to an apple that you chop/microwave with cinnamon and sweetener first for a snack/dessert that seems too good to be true!)
    - sandwich thins- they are new and made by Warburtons. 100 cals each and make awesome sandwiches if you are cutting down on bread! I keep mine in the freezer then they are perfect to just thaw out and make into little toasties with Laughing Cow Extra Light Cheese (20 cals per triangle), tomato and turkey or ham slices!
    - Branston pickle. OMG. So good- so much flavour packed into it. Love mixing it with tuna for sandwiches :)

Other things I like a lot:
    - aubergine, butternut squash, asparagus: I love just roasting a big tray of these with a few sprays of Fry Light oil spray (and sprinkle with salt and pepper)
    - half fat feta cheese (little goes a LONG way- 30g is about 60 cals and sprinkled onto roasted veg is delicious!)
    - Options hot chocolate- less than 40 cals. I make mine with a tsp of coffee powder in it and it makes it so much richer/decadent! Also amazing if you make with half the amount of water then throw in a blender with ice once cooled.
    - Tinned pineapple: put cubes on a plate and freeze (grapes and banana slices are good too)- seriously like a dessert and take a while to eat :)
    - bananas, apples, melon
    - frozen blueberries (my current obsession is thawing a portion in a bowl for the day and mixing with Quark and sweetener for a dessert/snack- around 100 cals. Tastes like cheesecake if you crumble up a digestive biscuit on top!)
    - kidney beans, chickpeas...any beans
    - John West light lunches- by the tinned fish. All flavours are around 100 cals and make perfect lunches if you throw them on a bed of lettuce! I like the salmon one best (it has salmon, couscous, morrocan dressing- I normally hate salmon!) The Italian tuna one is really good too.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    John West light lunches- by the tinned fish. All flavours are around 100 cals and make perfect lunches if you throw them on a bed of lettuce! I like the salmon one best (it has salmon, couscous, morrocan dressing- I normally hate salmon!) The Italian tuna one is really good too.
    I agree they're very convenient as they don't need refrigerating.

By the way, I think there's a typo in your post, they're actually around 250 calories each. :)
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Goji berries and the seed snack thingy... Very yummy.
  • ellenangel
    ellenangel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    John West light lunches- by the tinned fish. All flavours are around 100 cals and make perfect lunches if you throw them on a bed of lettuce! I like the salmon one best (it has salmon, couscous, morrocan dressing- I normally hate salmon!) The Italian tuna one is really good too.

By the way, I think there's a typo in your post, they're actually around 250 calories each. :)

Nope- not a typo :) Just checked the ones in my cupboard- the salmon one is 200, Italian pasta one is 219, French one is 203 and the salsa one is 180 (also a few bought more recently are 195...odd). Maybe they have changed them recently?
  • TourThePast
    Options

Nope- not a typo :) Just checked the ones in my cupboard- the salmon one is 200, Italian pasta one is 219, French one is 203 and the salsa one is 180 (also a few bought more recently are 195...odd). Maybe they have changed them recently?
    Well they may not all be 250, but they are all nearer to 250 than 100, LOL!

They are advertised at being "under 250 calories", and because I don't like peas or beans the only one I eat is the Tuna Sweetcorn Pasta Water chestnuts and Peppers one. That is 247 calories, so I mistakenly assumed they'd all be about that level.

Great idea though, and fantastic if you're walking - have you tried that new Moroccan Salmon one yet?
    http://www.john-west.co.uk/products/light-lunch/