Why is weight loss so slow?

Options
I am working with a weight management clinic to lose weight for spinal surgery. I went today after a week of being on 1200 cal high protein diet and have been walking 5x a week and short strength training 3x a week. I only lost about 1.5lbs my first week and I don't understand that because I was spot on with every food and weighed it all out scanned the items into the mfp app and did not eat my exercise cal back does it always start slow?

Replies

• Your body could be retaining water. That is a small sample size. My weight fluctuates 5-13 LBs per day.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1.5 lbs/week loss = 750 calorie deficit, you ate 1200 so expended 1950 ? That's possible, depends on your height / weight / % body fat / age etc - or more specifically on your personal metabolic rate.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    1.5 pounds is a great loss! That's not slow at all. You didn't gain all the weight in a week, you won't lose it in a week either.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1.5 pounds is a great loss! The standard rate is .5-2 pounds a week, with the lower numbers hitting when you have less to lose.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    jokarenk wrote: »
    I am working with a weight management clinic to lose weight for spinal surgery. I went today after a week of being on 1200 cal high protein diet and have been walking 5x a week and short strength training 3x a week. I only lost about 1.5lbs my first week and I don't understand that because I was spot on with every food and weighed it all out scanned the items into the mfp app and did not eat my exercise cal back does it always start slow?
    You lost a pound and a half - NICE GOING!
    In a year, that's 75 pounds total.
    I lost almost 100 pounds just like that and have kept it off for 3 years. What you're doing is working just as it should, and fast weight loss is seldom lasting weight loss.
    Keep up the good work!

• ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    A loss of 1.5 lbs in a week is awesome! That is not slow at all. Keep going!
  • Panda_Path
    Panda_Path Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    There are many reasons why the body does what it does, but you LOST still the same. Celebrate that!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Weight gain is pretty slow too.
  • justcallmedave
    justcallmedave Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is slow because weight gain is slow.It happens over months to years not days to weeks. Consistency is the key and well done on 1.5lbs
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Let me edit it for you:

"I only lost a whole about 1.5lbs my first week...."

Like everyone says, 1.5 pounds is great. Don't be misled by the huge losses that you see on TV and in the media. Those are achieved by people who are in the process of ruining their metabolism (see Dr. Yoni Freedhoff on "The Biggest Loser" contestants).

1.5 pounds/week = 6.5 pounds/month = 78 pounds/year.

34527787.png
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    2lbs is the maximum that is recommend to lose in a week. You don't want to lose to fast so 1.5lbs is great! You will have bigger losses and smaller losses but losses are coming. :) Be proud!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It comes off slowly because the Weight Gods want to punish us for our sins. :)

• Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It comes off slowly because the Weight Gods want to punish us for our sins. :)
    Exactly! Does anyone notice that many "why" questions aren't actually seeking answers? And even when they are, there may not be any good answers. Enjoy the ride, that's my advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdg5ereIsaI
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Weight gain is pretty slow too.

+1
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Did you gain 1.5lbs per week?
  • jokarenk
    Options
    Thanks everyone I appreciate the positive feedback. I am just starting out and keeping as positive as I can, it helps to talk to others who have gone through the journey.