Is this website accurate?

Options
I'm just getting started and only looking to lose 10-12 lbs. I noticed as I track my food each day, it tells me at the end that if I keep at that certain calorie count/day, I'll be at such and such weight in 5 weeks. Does others that have been doing this longer than myself see that this weight amount appears to be accurate?

Thanks!

Replies

• karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    nope....I never listen to that....there are so many variables. How much YOU burn at exercise, your age, hormones, types of workouts, etc... All calculators are general estimates and everyone's body reacts differently.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    rcanon777 wrote: »
    I'm just getting started and only looking to lose 10-12 lbs. I noticed as I track my food each day, it tells me at the end that if I keep at that certain calorie count/day, I'll be at such and such weight in 5 weeks. Does others that have been doing this longer than myself see that this weight amount appears to be accurate?

Thanks!

For some it is, for others it isn't. In my case, it told me I should have been below 200 pounds six weeks ago...hasn't happened yet.

• fayelobeck89
    fayelobeck89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    No. I (mostly) stick to me cal goal and currently weigh 10st4lb. It tells me almost every day that if I continue to eat the same for that day I will be 10st4lb in 5 weeks lol
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    It has been pretty accurate for me so far. I've been logging 14 weeks and I'm pretty consistent. It is just simply calculating the projected loss on that one day log. If you have a good or bad day, it will move accordingly.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It's never accurate as I update monthly, I just ignore it. I use MFP to count calories and it does that perfectly.
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Mine is pretty accurate.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    No, but it's a good guideline. However, don't eat back your calories unless you're burning over 400 calories a day. Then you may eat back half.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you actually kept whatever deficit you created that day for every day for 5 more weeks - likely yes. But that's about impossible. 50 cal over goal is better than 100 below consistently.

Whatever you do, don't let that ridiculous encouragement cause you to attempt bigger weight loss speed than is reasonable.

Just encouragement to select 1/2 lb weekly weight loss goal with so little left to lose. No need setting up a fight with your body you'll lose (but not fat weight).
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I don't pay too much attention to that number. As long as the long term trend line of actual weight loss is good, that number is simply a bad estimate.
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    It's just to be used as a guideline and probably changes every day. If mine consistently says for a few days in a row that I'll weigh the same or more in five weeks, I adjust my diet or know that I have to be more strict in the days ahead. It doesn't necessarily mean that you will weigh what it says you will, it just gives you a guideline to follow for how well you did that day.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!