Scared

Options
I am scared to weigh myself again because i did so well in the first two weeks and lost 7lbs which made me feel great. Even though i have not done anything different and i have still stuck to my 1200 calorie target and exercised most days i am just affraid that if i step on the scales i will have put weight on again. I know it sounds stupid but thats whats going round my head. I know i have lost weight or changed shape for the better because i can see the difference in my clothes and my boyfriend has noticed too. Any advice on how to feel better about myself?

Replies

• faerie_dust
    Options
    don't stand on the scale...

if it scares you so much, and your self-esteem is riding on it - don't do it. you can see and feel the differences. that is enough.
  • Marinaclare
    Options
    Well, it's normal to plateau a little so if you do, don't be too hard on yourself. If you've stuck to your targets then you won't have put on weight.

xx
  • lachicadelfuego
    lachicadelfuego Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree with faerie_dust. As long as you feel good it doesnt really matter what the little number on the scale is.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    ditch the scales for a bit and focus on inch loss, and how ur clothes r fitting:smile:
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Something to keep in mind is that the scales aren't the be-all and end-all. Lots of factors can affect your scale weight including water retention, time of the day, sodium levels etc etc etc.

Looking at the scale is nothing to be scared of, but if the result isn't what you wanted, it's really not something to worry about. Just be honest with yourself and ask whether you have stuck to your goals - if so, and if you're feeling thinner, the figure on the scale shouldn't frighten you.

Also remember that muscle is more dense than fat, so if you've built up muscle you could have gained weight but actually be in better shape (most bodybuilders have a BMI that would class them as clinically obese).
  • loodoo87
    loodoo87 Posts: 33
    Options
    I dont know if i am understanding this right, does water weight mean that i am not drinking enough water?
    So if i drink pleanty of water a day i shouldnt have any water weight?
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I always have a little bit of 'fear' before weighing myself - I wake up excited and nervous on weigh-in day LOL!

I am 13 weeks in and I have not once seen a gain...

I have either lost or stayed the same...
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    You're going to go up and down throughout your journey. It's not linear and that's normal. So long as there are more downs than ups you're doing great.

You must, from the very start, accept the fact that the scale is only ONE measure of your success. It's not even the most important one -- your health is.

Your weigh ins are tools to gage how your body is reacting but they don't define your success. Don't let them have more power over you than they deserve.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Water weight could be retention of water in your muscles because they are trying to rebuild. Or due to sodium content from previous meals or that time of the month or any number of things... I agree with everyone else. The scale is just a number ... stay away from the scale and focus on how much better you are feeling ans fitting in your clothes, etc.
  • Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You should mentally prepare yourself for some weight gain throughout your journey. It happens - it's normal to occassionally gain a pound or two before losing it. Earlier this week I had my annual physical and I weighed in 2 pounds heavier. Today, I weighed myself at 3.2 pounds lighter than my last MFP weigh in.
  • shayshay01
    shayshay01 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I say be brave and weigh, but that's my personality. ;-) If you are the same or have gained a bit then just turn it into a goal.... like say.... "do 10 mins. more cardio a day".... or " eat one less carb, etc.... I DO agree about measuring your inches though. You should def. do this, b/c even if the scale may say one thing you may see inches lost. But I say GO FOR IT with a positive attitude not to be discouraged no matter what.... Hey, you might find that you weigh alot less and your fears were for nothing. Think of what an awesome feeling that would be?!!! :-)
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Yea dont use the scales!!! Worry about inches and clothes and thats it...Think about it this way... Does anyone really care what your number is on a scale or how you look when they see you. Your appearance to yourself and to others is important not the number on the scale. Also as long as you feel awesome and you are doing what you need to do.

The other thing the 7 pounds you lost up front is detox. It is really common in the beginning to lose 3-10 pounds in the first week due to your body flushing out toxins and excess waist from a poor diet. So dont be discouraged if it slows down.

ROCK IT GIRL! =0)
  • loodoo87
    loodoo87 Posts: 33
    Options
    thanks everyone :smile: