Is one C25K app better than another?

Options
Kalikel
Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
There are so many! Can anyone recommend a good one?

I have zero experience with this, so any advice is welcome.

Replies

• redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If you like zombies at all, I really loved the Zombies, Run! C25k app. There's a story that you're a character in, and the story advances every time you run - which kept me motivated to keep doing the workouts, because I wanted to hear what happened next! :) Plus the C25k app fits right between episode 1 and 2 of the first season of the regular Zombies, Run! app - so once you finish it you can continue straight into the regular app and continue the story. There are 3 full seasons of the regular app now.

Since I did the Zombies, Run! C25k app, I don't have any other C25k apps to compare it to... didn't see a need to do C25k twice. :)
  • mysmileighs
    mysmileighs Posts: 103 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm using the Active Network, LLC (developer) Couch-to-5K app (starting week 2). I found 2 that connect to MFP in some way (https://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/134 and https://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/131) and I think I'm going to give one/both of those a try.

I like the Active one, it gets the job done, but it doesn't like it when it's running in the background and it doesn't sync to anything else I have. First world problems, I know, but an inconvenience none the less.

:flowerforyou:
  • fswku
    fswku Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper, and just manually entered the schedule as a new one-off training plan for each week. But then again I tend to do things the roundabout way sometimes...
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs. Worked great for me - easy to follow, the audible cues for when to warm up, run, walk & cool down were easy to hear and understand. It allows you to run a a playlist of your own music if you like.

Other than that, I think all the programs as far as run/walk intervals and the number of weeks it takes are pretty much the same, so it's just a matter of how user friendly it is and whether or not you want to spend money on it.

Good luck!
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Another Zen labs fan here. I'd tried a couple of C25k programs the last few years and didn't finish.

The Zen Labs version was really good about balancing building endurance and then pushing you.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I'm trying zen labs this go round love the interface and while I pull my playlist from my distance tracker it has that too.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    +1 for Zen Labs. I have had a bit of trouble with it shutting down, but only if I'm using other apps. It works fine with Pandora, as long as that's the only other app I'm running.
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I use Rundouble. It is a paid app but the first two weeks are free as a trial. The first two weeks are also automatically in timed intervals. Starting with week 3 you can choose to do either timed or distance intervals. I don't know if it's still going on but when I bought it they had a special so you could get the C25K program ($1.59), the 5K improver to improve your 5k time ($1.59) and the 5k to 10K ($1.59) all for like $3.00. At the end of the workout, if you have your MFP account info sync'd the app will automatically upload the workout to MFP. You can also go on the website and compare your interval times and where each interval was on a map of your route.

I promise I don't work for Rundouble. I just really like their app.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I used the NHS podcast, and tracked performance using Runkeeper.

In erms of running training, there isn't much between them as they're all based on the same base programme anyway.

The advantage of that was that I now have all of my running history in one web service.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I also used the free NHS app. The music wasn't to my taste but the plan certainly worked. http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I recommend Rundouble, although I haven't tried any of the others.
  • josnaps
    josnaps Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would thoroughly recommend the NHS Couch to 5k podcasts, the music is a little dire but the tips along the way are most welcome! I quite like that they are podcasts instead of an app too.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • MamaGab92
    MamaGab92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use 5K Runner by ClearSky. It isn't free (only $1.99) but it has worked really well for me.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have tried a bunch and honestly they are all pretty much the same. Just pick one and stick with it, you'll see results!! Good luck!! :smile:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all! They all sound good, lol.

Zombies sounds really fun.