Please Help! Loose skin or fat

Options
tarima034
tarima034 Posts: 14
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
I have lost 4 stone over the space of a year and my body has been left in a puddle. I am considering surgery but want to know if anyone can advise me if I can tone this up. This has affected my life and my bottom is so squidgy and saggy that when I sit down everything goes to the sides and I can feel my bones touching the seat. I cannot sit for long periods of time as the pain is really bad.

Replies

• tarima034
    Options
    Could anyone comment even an opinion
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    looks like fat to me, loose skin looks more crepey from what I've seen and you can't pinch it like that

consider doing weight-bearing exercises to develop musculature
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    It looks like it could be a bit of both. Have you been exercising whilst dieting. I have loose skin on my tummy but that is due to two pregnancies and c-sections (and not eating particularly well when pregnant lol).

Don't know what you are doing now. Maybe if you try some strength exercises this could help.
  • tarima034
    Options
    What types of exercise could tone this area up?
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations on the weight loss! You put in the work to lose the weight, and you should feel very proud. The picture doesn't look entirely like loose skin, so I do believe you could see great benefits by adopting a strength training routine. Also, have you looked at your sodium intake? I know this causes water retention for me. Drinking lots of water and watching my sodium helped me get rid of some bloat. Hope that helps!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's both-try weight lifting.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss so far!!! B)

Sorry to say, it looks like fat, w/ some loose skin. You have come a long ways but if you are not comfortable where you are at then there is still some more fat to lose. Good news is you know what to do :D
  • maybebaby34
    maybebaby34 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi! After my last surgery, I was left with loose skin. My dr said it was such a quick shrink that my body needed to have time to catch up. Idk how fast you lost, but may need a little time. I knew I did not want to be left with loose skin during this loss. So I do alot of weight lifting. Aa the fat disappears the muscle will give the skin time to shrink. I also rub myself head to toe with coconut oil everyday. It keeps the skin soft and increases the elasticity. Surgery should be your last thought. Huge scars are left behind... cut yourself a break. You did something AMAIZING!! Congratulations! :)
  • stepfordexwife
    Options
    It's fat. As you lose your fat gets squishy and can kind of hang. I hit the hanging fat at about 155lbs. (I'm 5'5") I felt like I looked worse than when I was 202! I've lost 12lbs since then and a lot of that fat, which was in the same trouble area as yours, has disappeared. I still have some saggy fat/skin on my belly from having babies but I am confident that will also significantly decrease as I get closer to my goal.

I also want to say you look great! Awesome job on losing so much weight!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    from previous posts it can take a couple of years for all of the changes our body is going to go though to happen (including loose skin) This may be just bro-science but people seem to say it regularly. Good luck
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You do NOT need surgery. Your skin looks good. Just don't lose the weight too quickly. Take your time and avoid loose skin.
  • MeRoHa
    MeRoHa Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would much rather have some loose skin than to be obese again. I hope that over time through proper nutrition and exercise that any loose skin will become less noticeable.
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Honestly it looks like mostly fat but it is hard to tell.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Build muscle!! It will catch up, you look great!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I say mostly fat but possibly both. I'm having that problem on my bottom now and I HAVE been lifting all along. Frustrating, I know.
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight?
  • bandit8it
    bandit8it Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tamira, congrats on the weight you have already lost! Great job! I agree with the others that your body needs some time now to adapt, both for the skin to shrink, and if you want to improve your shape further, through weight training. Muscles will give you definition, give that skin something shapely to form around, and boost your metabolism to help you maintain your weight loss. See if you can google "Go Kaleo" for inspiration if you would like to see someone who really transformed her body...the weight loss was only the beginning.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    1. good job on the weight loss!
    2. weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint so keep at it and most of what's left will go over time.
    3. build your glutes (bum muscles) to round out and firm up your bum (squats, lunges etc) it will not only change the look of your behind but also feel better to sit on!
    4. :smile:
  • tarima034
    Options
    I am 5'2 and weight 10 stone I did go down to 9 stone 4 but found my skin hanging even more and my breasts like an 80 year old women. I put on some weight to help but now have maintained at this weight for 5 months
  • tarima034
    Options
    I am worried to lose more weight and worried to put any more on, and the pain is really bad