Where do nuts fit into a diet?

Options
Ive just been doing some research and have just been trying to figure out where nuts belong in a diet. Ive seen them go anywhere from snacking once in a while to once daily.

On a personal level though with my lunch I usually have a serving of quaker rice cakes and a light and fit yogurt. I am however considering switching both snacks for either an equal serving of almonds, cashews or pistachios. I just dont know if its healthy to do that every day in a diet aimed towards weight loss.

Replies

• EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You can do this if it fits into your macros / daily calories. The thing about nuts is they are higher in fat than protein, and they come out at high calories. They are very good for filling missed fat, if you can fit them into your calorie allotment.

I highly recommend shelled pumpkin seeds, as they are much higher in protein than almonds, and at a similar calorie count.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nuts are great protein and have healthy fat. I like to put them in my yogurt, with fresh fruit.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    They fit in your diet wherever you fit them, or not.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    As long as they're properly measured/weighed out, have them as much as you'd like. Very calorie dense so you have to be careful or you could way underestimate them.
  • jillyrose0711
    jillyrose0711 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    a handful of nuts plus a piece of fruit has always served as a well-rounded daily snack for me. don't be afraid to have nuts or seeds each day as long as it's in smaller proportions due to their caloric density
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I love nuts and seeds but I have to be sooo careful because the calories really add up. If you can fit them in and are okay with portion control, I'd say do it... they're really good for you. Unsalted is probably best.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    They fit right into my mouth.
  • hairysucker
    Options
    I get sad when I weigh out one serving of nuts. :s (peanut butter too...) The calories add up so fast! They make a great snack, but if you are eating a "handful", or more, then it's more calories than you think. But if it fits within your goals eat as many as you want.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I get sad when I weigh out one serving of nuts. :s (peanut butter too...) The calories add up so fast! They make a great snack, but if you are eating a "handful", or more, then it's more calories than you think. But if it fits within your goals eat as many as you want.

I get sad about it too :( I realized I was eating 4oz of peanuts instead of 1oz. I was so devastated!
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    HEY NOW!!!!

because they are a delicious snack full of minerals, protein and healthy fat. A welcome addition to any diet.

I'm quite sure I don't know what you thought I meant. :neutral_face:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I eat 20-30 nuts nearly every day. They are a good fat, and pretty decent protein. Yummy. Don't need to be refrigerated... I ate them nearly every day when I was losing weight too.
    If anything, I'd skip the rice cakes. To me they are only a semi useful peanut butter delivery system. Nothing more.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    They fit in your diet wherever you fit them, or not.

This. There are plenty of food choices that provide fats, protein, etc. Choose the ones that appeal to you. Don't eat the ones that don't.

• trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    HEY NOW!!!!

because they are a delicious snack full of minerals, protein and healthy fat. A welcome addition to any diet.

I'm quite sure I don't know what you thought I meant. :neutral_face:

:#
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    If anything, I'd skip the rice cakes. To me they are only a semi useful peanut butter delivery system. Nothing more.

If anyone ever wonders what happens to all the gajillions of foam packing peanuts that get thrown away, I'm firmly convinced that they are recycled as rice cakes.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Get the 100 calorie packs of walnuts and almonds…that way you get the health benefits..and don't overeat the calories...
  • Deannas69
    Deannas69 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oh how I love pistachios and almonds. I find that half a serving of almonds fills me right up. Pistachios seem to be my current go to nut right now and I do not hesitate to eat them as a snack or with my lunch. I have to make sure that when I bring the bag home from the store that I immediately break it down into serving size containers or else I will eat them mindlessly!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I saw an interview on TV where the doctor was speaking about not just any nuts but tree nuts. They have some beneficial fat that you need. I have been eating tree nuts daily ever since. I love them in my oatmeal or as a snack.
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I buy sliced raw almonds, because an ounce of them looks bulkier than an ounce of whole almonds. Sometimes the appearance of food really makes a difference.