Is 5 days a week enough?

Options
Hi everyone,

I am self employed and work from home which involves sitting in front of the computer all day and not really getting out much. I have started trying to do about 50 mins - 1 hr exercise 5 days a week. I have also started keeping my calories within the limits. Considering that my general activity level is low and I live a very sedentary lifestyle, is 5 days a week exercise enough?
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I sit in front of a computer at work all day too. And I started with 2 or 3 days a week and started losing weight. Now I am up to 5 days a week just because I found out that I enjoy taking care of my body and I am still losing weight. I think it's good to have a day or two of resting a week, but that's just my own personal opinion, I am sure it's different for everyone.
  • aladd2
    aladd2 Posts: 70
    Options
    Yes, I think so. I think this will help you see results :) but how much results also depends on what kind of exercises you're doing.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Its definitely enough, probably more than what most people do.

I started at 3 days a week and did that for a long time. Now I'm up to 6
  • mertheg01
    mertheg01 Posts: 19
    Options
    I work an office job as well. I am currently doing 5-6 days a week of exercise. I try to exercise twice a day just to keep my body in focus. I do my best to workout the same time each day and do the same workout(s) each day of the week. Watching my calorie intake and recording it has helped a lot.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    It could be enough, if you are staying within your calorie goals on the days you are not working out. Personally, I workout 6 days a week, and sometimes 7 when I am in the mood and my Sunday (usually my rest day) has time open for it. Though, if you don't technically workout on your off days, you should still try to do something active.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It's more than enough if you are just starting to exercise.
  • samantharae121205
    Options
    bumpp.
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and I work out anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 hour, 5-6 days a week and I have seen awesome results!!! I only had about 15 lbs to lose but I have also toned up a lot. The question is when you work out, is it intense? The best way to see results is to work out at a pace that makes you uncomfortable. If you are uncomfortable enough to think about giving up, then you're right where you need to be...push yourself! Good luck!!!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Diet is 80% diet and 20% exercise

Keep those calories under and you will do great! :D
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Yes, its enough, especially if you did 0 before, and are eating healthy!

I work in an office at a computer, but I have found some things to do to get myself moving (dont forget, health and safety says you should take a 5 min break from your computer once an hour!)

I work on the 2nd floor, so I run up one flight of stairs, walk to the other end of the building, run down 3 flights of stairs, back to my side of the building and then up 2 flights of stairs. Each time I do it, I burn off about 60 calories! I aim for 4 times a day :) If I cant make the gym that day, i try to do more, but there are things you can do even when at work that will boost your exercise and calorie burn off :)
  • CharmingCherry
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies :) I mainly do running, circuits and I have a weights machine at home. I also do zumba once a week. I was worried that with my rest days not being very active, I might not get the best results.