Tried my new "toy" today

Options
So, I decided to try my new Timex 30 lap heart rate monitor today while I did a 45 minute workout with my Wii-Fitness Ultimatum game. (Even though I havent yet figured out the heart rate zones and keep it from beeping constantly! :angry: ) The game said I burned 322 calories which I entered into MyFitness Pal. My HRM says I only burned 301. I don't know which one is accurate or how to make the divided between activity adjustment in MFP.

I really need someone who is HRM genius to help me figure out how to keep it from beeping constantly and therefore save my sanity and help me feel more confident with it's reading.

Replies

• amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    So, I decided to try my new Timex 30 lap heart rate monitor today while I did a 45 minute workout with my Wii-Fitness Ultimatum game. (Even though I havent yet figured out the heart rate zones and keep it from beeping constantly! :angry: ) The game said I burned 322 calories which I entered into MyFitness Pal. My HRM says I only burned 301. I don't know which one is accurate or how to make the divided between activity adjustment in MFP.

I really need someone who is HRM genius to help me figure out how to keep it from beeping constantly and therefore save my sanity and help me feel more confident with it's reading.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    On the accuracy issue, the general consensus that I've seen is to go with the HRM. On the beeping issue . . . I have a Polar so mine's not exactly the same, but in mine if I go into the Exercise menu and move down to the settings, I can actually change the volume or turn off the sounds altogether. I'm sure yours must have a way to turn off the sound too. Do you still have the manual? That should tell you how somewhere. Good luck on saving your sanity! :flowerforyou:
  • noremac
    noremac Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    you can try this calculation if you want to know (MHR-RHR) X intensity % + RHR = THR

1. MHR=Maximum Heart Rate

MHR= 220 - age

2. RHR=Resting Heart Rate

RHR= your 60 second heart beat or pulse count when your heart is at rest

3. Intensity % = 70% for lower THR 90% for upper THR

4. HR = Target Heart Rate defined as heart beats per minute

EXAMPLE

George is 30 years old and has a resting heart rate of 60 bpm. His target heart rates would be?

220 - 30=190

(190-60) X 70% + 60 = THR (190-60) X 90% + 60 = THR

130 X 70% + 60 =THR 130 X 90% +60 = THR

91 + 60 = THR 117 + 60 = THR

151 = THR 174 = THR