lifting ladies, I need your wiseness!

Options
Hi, I have been following stronglifts 5x5 and I'm really enjoying it. However, I have read that it excels at increasing actual strength, but isn't great for actually changing the shape of your body. I have been consistently lifting 3 times a week for 4 weeks now and I have lost a grand total of one centimetre off ONE thigh!! (Diary is open, I also run between 2 and 6 miles 3 times a week, 5'3", 144lbs).

Now to my question....do I need to give it more time to see body shape changes? Or is there an alternate lifting program that focusses on changing my shape? Pics of how your shape changed following x, y, or z program would be nice too.

Looking forward to hearing from you all. :)

Replies

• Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    4 Weeks isn't that long in the scheme of things. I have been lifting for a year plus and am still a work in progress.

The Strong Curves program is very good for developing a nice curvy shape, with a focus on the bottom half.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed stronglifts for its simplicity but I have had better results from strong curves
  • Sim123one
    Sim123one Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It takes time, but with a good workout routine and a clean diet, I promise you will see results!

Just keep doing what your doing, you will know when you are ready to try something a little bit more challenging - I have heard good things about strong curves for shaping the body though!

Good luck x
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My goodness sim123one, please don't think I'm hitting on you...but you have the body I'm working towards!! Which program did you follow??
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I think stronglifts is a good program for a beginner. I would suggest doing that first and after you finish, move on to strongcurves, to focus more on the lower body. That's my plan.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Lifting is usually for strength or muscle gains...it will tighten up muscles ie your butt doing weighted squats...it also helps you maintain your muscle while losing fat as long as you are getting in enough protien.

but in reality if you are looking to lose inches that comes from your deficit...not from lifting.

I have been lifting for over a year doing SL for a year but I was eating at a deficit...that is what "changed my shape"
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Ah so its not a program issue its a deficit issue?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Ah so its not a program issue its a deficit issue?

yes.

Building a strong base for getting strong is always the first step before going on to specialized programs.