Very Sore front of thighs and sore hips

Options
Hi All,

This is my first post , this site has been an inspiration for me on my journey of losing weight.

I started 6 weeks back slowly on elliptical , from ten min to i increased 30 min then added one hour of fast walking four weeks back along with resistance bands for some muscle building.

Everything was going great until this week, my front of thighs and my hip along with my butt started aching too much.

Yesterday i totally stopped doing everything when i could not walk even due to immense pain in my front of thigh on my left leg.both legs are very sore but left one is worse.

I had to take couple of painkillers to calm the pain .now i feel empty without my daily exercise .

My wife says i was overdoing it but i felt great till this week .

I changed the from aerobics to endurance on my elliptical for last two weeks.that is the only change i have done.

Do i have to wait to be pain free before resuming on elliptical and start my walking.do i need to go to a doctor.other than pain in my thighs i feel fine.

what can i do to burn calories while sitting , i dont go to gym any suggestions.

Thanks for help.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    are you stretching after you exercise?
  • Putrevus
    Putrevus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was not till recently as i did not know that i had to,
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It is likely you are suffering from what they call DOMS, I think that stands for Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. I get it all the time if I do a new work out or heavier weights or basically anything my muscles are not used to doing. It hurts like anything but honestly the best way to make it go faster is to keep moving, perhaps not as strenuously as you normally do. It does honestly ease up after you get moving

Stretch after you exercise and drink plenty of water
  • Putrevus
    Options
    jenny3008 wrote: »
    It is likely you are suffering from what they call DOMS, I think that stands for Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. I get it all the time if I do a new work out or heavier weights or basically anything my muscles are not used to doing. It hurts like anything but honestly the best way to make it go faster is to keep moving, perhaps not as strenuously as you normally do. It does honestly ease up after you get moving

Stretch after you exercise and drink plenty of water

Thanks for the reply

I drink plenty of water, i thought of DOMS too but this pain was too much yesterday i could not even walk or even drive .

as usual i woke up early for my walking but i am afraid to start , so that i am not in position like yesterday where i could not even drive to work.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It sounds like DOMS as it's muscular (front of thigh) but if it's more on one side then there is a chance you you may have strained something - Rest, Ice, Elevate

As soon as you feel able you can start again and work through the pain - but listen to your body and if it's too much don't

and yes warm up and stretch
  • grapefruitannie
    grapefruitannie Posts: 122 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I get this and believe rabbitjb is right. I changed my routine at the gym recently and incorporated the stairwalker. (looks easy blinking aint) and my front thigh muscles felt as though they were on fire every single time I moved. Lifting my leg up to change gear in the car was not very pleasant to say the least and god knows what I looked like from outside the car with such a grimace on my face lol.

Anyway the only way to get through it was to keep moving, keep stretching and drop back the intensity of my workout at the gym. I am back on the stairmaster now and all is good. Reverse lunges helped me as well, although they kill the first time too!.

Keep moving you will get there, give it a couple of days and try your new routine again you will be surprised just how quickly your body adapts. :smiley:

Oh yeh and Stretch EVERY TIME you finish hold the stretches for a couple of seconds - youtube have loads of free stretch routines. Good luck
  • thump418
    thump418 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I agree. Rest, elevation, and Ice will always help. I experience the same pain quite often after I do a leg workout. A foam roller is also very handy. anytime I am feeling sore anywhere i whip out the foam roller and sit on where ever the pain is. Within a day or two I'm good
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like DOMS, which is best for me, when I just work through it and loosen it up.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I do at least 5 hours a week on the elliptical and I do get sore. I take it easy 3 days a week, and do lunges and anything that stretches my quads, hamstrings, and hip flexors. You should find some exercises doing a quick search online.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Are you working the same muscle set every day? If yes, don't. But it does some like DOMS. Just move to upper body if you want to exercise.
  • Putrevus
    Options

I am doing elliptical everyday, so I guess I am working the same muscle every day, I dont think I have a choice If I want to do elliptical every day.

I am walking and doing some light aerobics also.

I bought this elliptical four years ago other than doing occasionally we never used it till now, everyday not only me but my wife and kids are also doing it.

I fear joining in the gym will ruin the flow like it happened many times before where we paid for gym but never went.

I walked today and did some aerobics and I am feeling fine so far other than being little sore, let us see how the the day goes on.

thanks a lot to every one for the kind replies.

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When I have DOMS, the best thing I've found is to do some light cardio, like walking or an easy resistance on the elliptical, followed by a really good stretch. You may also want to look into foam rolling as it can really help with the healing process. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water and protein (over MFP goal). Potassium can help as well - you can google for a list of foods that contain higher levels and incorporate them into your diet regularly.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Don't fear the gym. Get some motivation and start weight training.

This.. or start to workout at home. There are plenty of in home resistance/weight training programs that can provide substantial results. I do body beast with dumbbells and a reinforced med ball and love it.

I don't go to the gym because there are too many teens that go to mine.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I strained my psoas (hip flexor)so bad I had to get muscle relaxers and heavy duty pain medication. You may want to look up the stretches for the psoas. They did wonders in reducing the pain.
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    If the pain is still significant in a few days, you might want to go see a doctor. But like everyone else said, it sounds like soreness.

Maybe try varying your workouts? Different muscle groups every day? if for the next few days you really can't bear to do anything with legs, try some arm, shoulder, back, or core workouts. If you need ideas just hit up YouTube or Instagram for some workout videos!