Not losing anymore... am i eating the right calories?

Options
All of a sudden I've stopped losing weight, intact I've gained a pound, but I'm putting that down to normal fluctuations. Im strictly calorie counting and staying within my limit.

Im 5 foot 7.5 (the half an inch is important to those of us vertically challenged!)
165 pounds
31 years
Male
Im eating 1600 calories per day.

I have a job that involves working nights and days, 13 hour shifts. I usually work 3 of these a week. Its a job where I'm mostly on my feet, but doesn't involve a lot of walking or any manual work..

Is eating 1600 right or should i reduce this?

thanks for the advice!

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. You are more likely eating too many calories.
  • adamwalker1983
    Options
    im not sure its quite that simple. I've taken a look at scoobys calorie calculator and if I'm interpreting it right, I'm eating the right amount
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing solids and measuring liquids?
    How long have you been "stuck"?
    Did you start a new workout?
    How has your sodium intake been? (higher than normal..most likely retaining water)
    Have you taken measurements?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    How long are we talking here?
  • adamwalker1983
    Options
    Couple of weeks now. Im measuring literally everything short of oxygen and water. Sodium levels normal. No more than usual.

Is 1600 the right amount basically...or should I reduce
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Actually, according to Scooby's it should be 1650. You are at a stall, which is totally normal. I would ride it out and keep doing what you're doing.
  • adamwalker1983
    Options
    Okay. Thanks. Will do. Just didn't want to keep going and end up wasting my time :)
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't long: I've had stalls for 4-6 weeks and then dropped.
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I stalled once for 3 months. Nothing you can do about it, but keep on keeping on.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    im not sure its quite that simple. I've taken a look at scoobys calorie calculator and if I'm interpreting it right, I'm eating the right amount
    It actually is that simple.

First how long have you been tracking?
    How long have you been at 165?
    What is your training like?

1600 calories, I see the need to go that low but if you're not losing weight then you are not logging as accurately as you believe . I'm 5'7" which is short for a male and I personally have never had to go down to 1600.

I was going to ask what you were doing for exercise/activity as well.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    Reset your self. I had a two week perioud where I lost nothing. The first week I followed the rules and the second I didn't track, gained .5 lb. Then this week I start tracking again and i am down 2 lb in four days. I think giving my body that week of eating a little more did it
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    the #1 reason is you are understimating what you are eating followed by weight loss isnt linear, so it will fluctuate. You should look at the trend being downwards over 3 weeks.
    Are you doing any exercise?
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    As a male, that doesn't sound very overweight at all to me. What is your build? If you are broad at all, then you should be in or very close to a great size.
  • katherineduweck
    katherineduweck Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Stalling for a couple weeks is normal; your body changes and the body's natural survival reactions have not caught up with our modern environment. (And yes, this is from my doctor, not the internet or a friend.) Ride it out, or increase your calories to maintenance levels for 2 or 3 days, then go back to 1600/day. Either way the plateau should break & you'll be fine. Don't underestimate the changing of the seasons affecting your body's function, either.