It smells so GOOOOOOD In here!!!

Options
Ok, I work in a office where people are free to eat at their desks. Around the lunch hour, the wonderful waft of Hamburgers, fries, hot wings etc will waft past my desk. As I sit here with my Yogurt cups, hard boiled eggs and chicken salad, my stomach will growl and wish I was sinking my teeth into the fatty bad food.

HELP! How do I stick to my diet when all I want is a cheeseburger??

Thanks!

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    If your stomach is growling then you should have a snack in between breakfast and lunch. Not being so hungry helps a LOT with that kind of thing. Ex - my next-door cube neighbor covers the ledge in between us with chocolates and candies every single day. I have to keep my belly happy or it will compel me to have some See's.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    my next-door cube neighbor

That is the best thing I have read all day!

But seriously, if the smells of all these "bad foods" are getting to you, maybe you should try to pack a lunch that is microwaveable? Hot food is more appetizing, especially with the weather getting cooler, partially because it engages the nose. I have a can of soup everyday. I try to get soup that has 9-10g protein. and then for a snack I'll have the yogurt or apple and cheese. But you could do leftovers from dinner the night before. I am personally looking forward to not being in night school so that I can make dinner and save some for the next day
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The amount of ordering in is crazy at my office, especially since there are so many places right down the road that do free delivery. So, I too get my fair share of tasty whiffs. It doesn't normally bother me because I bring stuff to work that I really enjoy eating (salads with my favorite toppings, delicious soups, and pita sandwiches stuffed with veggies) so when I get whiffs of what they're eating, I can sort of hyper focus on what I'll be eating soon and it's enough to distract me.

But there are times when this doesn't cut it. The first of every month is pizza day, where our employer brings in dozens of pizzas, and on payday everyone seems to order Chinese food. Because I can predict these occurrences, I plan ahead and will bring something cheesy but healthy for pizza day or a stirfry on Chinese day. For nonpredictable days, perhaps you could look into other options like bringing a burger or veggie burger from home or some homemade sweet potato fries once a week that you can reheat in the micro and won't be as bad calorie-wise as a restaurant-bought burger. Perhaps knowing that your burger day is coming tomorrow will help satiate you now.
  • mjpachunka
    mjpachunka Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Because I can predict these occurrences, I plan ahead and will bring something cheesy but healthy for pizza day or a stirfry on Chinese day. For nonpredictable days, perhaps you could look into other options like bringing a burger or veggie burger from home or some homemade sweet potato fries once a week that you can reheat in the micro and won't be as bad calorie-wise as a restaurant-bought burger.

• mjpachunka
    mjpachunka Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!!!
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Why not get out for a walk and eat out of the office? I eat a quick lunch daily in our canteen which I bring from home and then get out for a 30 minute walk. We get 45 minute lunch.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    fobs13 wrote: »
    Why not get out for a walk and eat out of the office? I eat a quick lunch daily in our canteen which I bring from home and then get out for a 30 minute walk. We get 45 minute lunch.

^^this... or instead, maybe take your lunch outside if you've got a decent place to sit. that way you'll have fresh air instead of food smells, and by the time you come back in you've already eaten and won't be tempted for more.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Just think of how much they are getting fatter eating all that stuff. You don't want it. This is me waiving my hand in front of your face in a Jedi fashion.
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Make yourself a big pot of chili with lean, ground turkey, black beans, onions, garlic, spices. It'll smell wonderful and meet your need for "comfort" food. The one I make is 168 calories per cup and it's very filling since it's full of turkey and beans.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Oh. For a minute there I thought you were talking about the ooey gooey red velvet cookies I have in the oven.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    Oh. For a minute there I thought you were talking about the ooey gooey red velvet cookies I have in the oven.

On an absolutely unrelated note, what is your address and how many of those are going to be left by the time I get there?

• tdhdee
    tdhdee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I also have sort of the same problem. We usually have cookies, cakes and other goodies in the office through the week. Most of the time it is things brought in from someone's home. It looks fantastic! I'm a coffee nut so I am in the kitchen often grabbing a cup through the day and have to see the goodies. To me it's motivation. Walk on by... Our office is so enclosed with no way to open windows and get fresh air or anything, like most offices, so when someone does bring in outside foods, it might smell good initially but then the whole office smells. It stays for hours. I am always surprised at how long a McDonald's burger and fries can linger! Nothing is worse than burned popcorn in the microwave though!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Just make yourself a lower calorie version burger when you get home
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    fobs13 wrote: »

This, if it is a lovely day have you got a nearby park you can go to?