P90x suggestions and advice?

Options
Hey potential motivators!!

I work ridiculous hours and they feed us delicious unhealthy food all day, but I'm tired of that being the excuse and cause of me being out of shape. I've been looking into getting P90X because I can do it on my own time and in the comfort of my own home. There's an athletic girl somewhere under all this chub and I'm dying for her to come back!!

Few questions... Does anyone have any suggestions for the P90x? I'm looking to getting the 3 (most current), but what's the difference really? I'm not sure I could hang with the Insanity one? It may take me a minute to get into the swing, but I know myself and if I don't see quick results, I'm setting myself up to fail.

This social community motivation is new to me and I've been on here for about 5 minutes, so I'm also open to new friends here and any advice to helping my fat butt get in shape. I really want to do it this time!! Thanks in advance!! I look forward to your responses.

Replies

• Chrissy_1516
    Chrissy_1516 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I did P90X about 5 years ago and I really enjoyed it. It was challenging and really helped to build strength. Before I started it I couldn't do a push up or a pull up and I would have to take breaks through out, but it got easier as the weeks went on. I am currently doing p90X3. I find it challenging as well and since each work out is about a half hour rather than an hour, such as in the p90X, it is much easier to fit into the schedule. I have never done the insanity one. There is also a modifier in each of the videos that is helpful to watch, especially just starting out, depending on your fitness level.
    Don't get discouraged if you don't see results right away. It took me a while to see results but the biggest encouragement I found was that each week things got easier to do (such as being able to do push ups not on my knees). Look at the small improvements you are making and the bigger ones will come.

• SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the 1, 2 and 3 have nothing to do with being "current". 1 is still the gold standard and if you're just starting out I'd go there first. It's still their biggest selling and most popular program. P90X2 was essentially a money grab. When P90X first came out there was really nothing else like it. It wasn't long before the others came along and Beach Body wanted to stay fresh. Unfortunately, P90X2 was really just a crass excuse to sell foam rollers and a shameless rip off of RushFit to a large degree. P90X3, in my opinion, was what 2 should have been. Something new and well thought out and at leas somewhat original.
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    I'm in my last month of my 2nd Round of the original P90x (classic schedule) with one week off between rounds...lost 15 pounds during first round, and have lost 16 pounds (and counting) and I'm not finished with round 2.

The originally is longer --- but its the best. If you get the P90x original - do the "classic " schedule...yup...hand weights (heavy), pullup bar (yeah you can do it), and plyometrics (jump high and sweat like a pig).

After I'm finished, I'm be going to Cathe' Friedrich's XTRAIN 90 undulating program...she lifts heavy and doesn't mess around (home workout program).

Good luck to you ...PS: whatever you choose, remember your results are dependent on your calories intake....
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Hey, nice to meet you. I'm a big fan of the P90X series. That's what I used to drop 64 lbs. I've done them all, and they all work great. If you're starting out and don't have a ton of time to spare (assuming from your comment of working ridiculous hours), P90X3 would be great. I really like that program. It's just as tough as the other 2, but the workouts are 1/2 the time. Plus, there is so much variety of exercise styles in that program, you won't get board.

Allan
  • Brandicefilms
    Options
    Hey! Thank you all for your responses! I've never done anything like this before and I could really use the support and motivation!

I think what I'm learning is to start at the beginning and go from there. Don't buy into the 2nd one and go as hard as I can and don't give up if I want the results. Consider calorie intake and I will get stronger and lose lbs. as I progress if I stick to the program. Sound about right?

What if I miss a day here and there? Do you find it's something you don't want to miss or it's okay from time to time? Also, anyone buy the recovery shakes and all that? Please add me as a friend. I need all I can get. Thanks for your time.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Day 3, and Day 1 of Week 3. Those are the two crucibles. Day 3 because you are so damned sore from your first Plyo that you can't sit on the toilet, and Day 1 of Week 3 just because you're starting to wear down. Once you get past Day 1 of Week 3 you're pretty much battle hardened. You won't want or need any more days off than the ones the schedule provides.
  • joe_hikeny
    joe_hikeny Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Consider calorie intake

P90x is amazing. I love to exercise. it makes me feel great. The weight coming off and improvement you want will only come with clean eating and not cheating yourself. It's not always easy. You'll slip and have a cheat meal. Don't have a cheat day or week. Why give up. you've got nothing but time.

Nutrition is 80% of the battle.... No bs dieting.... you need to figure out what healthy foods you like and make a lifestyle change.

I'm on day 57 of my lifestyle change. I log my exercise and food everyday. I even log my exercise in a separate excel sheet and i track everything i do so i can see how i can improve or what changed from last week,
    I've walked 56 1/2 miles
    I've run 39 miles
    I've Hiked 31 miles
    Almost 25 hours of High Intensity Interval Training Like p90x
    I've had 9 rest days
    --> It took me a few minutes to calculate. But i can look back and see what work i've put into getting better. I've lost 12 Lbs. I have 11 more to go. I've gained muscle. I feel amazing. I'm happier and healthier than i was almost 8 weeks ago.
    I've had days when i could only squeeze in 30 minutes or a 1 mile run. But i did it and it's paying off.

My goals are
    6 + miles a week Running
    4 + miles a week Hiking
    2.5 + hours of HIIT / P90 or Insanity
    6 + miles of Walking

I want to be 150 Lean Muscle.

Have goals and know what your working towards. Eat clean and give it your best at every workout.

Stay Motivated

Joe

• "This social community motivation is new to me and I've been on here for about 5 minutes, so I'm also open to new friends here and any advice to helping my fat butt get in shape. I really want to do it this time!! "

If you are looking to SAVE MONEY on your program and want accountability and motivation follow me on facebook! Stephanie Rhodes Fitness Journey! I am a Beachbody Coach :) My husband and I are going to be starting a challenge group for P90X3 soon...we are currently doing 21 Day Fix! It's a great 30 minute program to get you ready for P90X3 (who has an hour to work out? We don't!) and easily get your nutrition in check! I definitely recommend Shakeology as well...not so much as a protein supplement but for the increased energy, nutrition, and the fact it cuts down in cravings...plus it tastes DELICIOUS! You can also follow my nutrition here on my fitness pal!