Brisk walk Succes Stories (pics pls)

Options
124»

Replies

• manuntac
    Options
    I follow you with admiration, I started brisk walking and i'm going to add a Wahoo TICKR HRM to check my own burst rate for brisk walking!
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Lost somewhere between 79-85 (last time on the scale was 85, but it wasn't an official weigh in day) pounds in 6 months through calorie counting and walking as my cardio. (But I lift too) When I first started, 2.4 mph (absolutely flat) was about as fast as I could walk and still breathe. Today I do 3.5 mph with a 2.0 incline.

My profile pic (added here) is the best comparison shot I have. But it's at 4 months time… so I've a lost a little more since then.
  • d3gus
    d3gus Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi SW:238 CW:217

I walk morning and night - only 12-15mins in morning and between 30 and 60 mins at night depending on the weather ( if i am honest lol ) both at 3 mph - on top of this i do a morning weights routine about 5 mins and a longer weights routine at night ( free weights ) I am finding that the hills back home are not so depressing and I can climb them with ease now. I have been doing this since beginning of september and lost 20 lbs so far ( also eating at a slight deficit ). Not looking forward to the cold nights tho..

I don't do running - not built for it lol - but enjoy the open air and walking my dog - what a better way is there to lose weight .. ps: noticed definition on my legs coming back and on my arms from the weight lifting
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I walk roughly 5-15 miles per day, depending on time. I walk 30 minutes to work, an hour at lunch, 30 minutes home, and some walking in the evening too. I'm hoping I can ride this all the way to my goal weight, as I hate traditional 'workouts' - they bore me to tears.

SW: 250lbs in April 2014
    CW: 203lbs
    GW: 140lbs
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I started walking in March, Since then I have walked over 800 miles and I have lost 22 lbs in the process. The furthest distance I have walked is 8 miles and my fastest mile was 13:20. My average speed is 3.8 mph and my fastest speed was 5.2 mph. I love walking out doors. When unable to get out due to weather I do Leslie Sansone Walk At Home videos. I love walking. My current profile pic was taken last month. I do use hand weights, resistance bands and a pilates chair for strength training. I do beginners yoga for flexibility.
    SW 134.9 lbs
    GW 120 lbs
    CW 112 lbs

60817891.png
  • 39plus
    39plus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Even prior to joining MFP, I started Power Walking for 1 hour daily. On the weekends and holidays since I'm off work, I walk outdoors. My routine:
    Treadmill:
    Minutes 1-15 is 3.7mph
    Minutes 16-30 is 3.8mph
    Minutes 30-45 is 3.9mph
    Minutes 45-60 is 4.0mph
    Incline: Start at 6% and DECREASE every 5 minutes, therefore it's at 0% when I'm done. Sometimes I start at 0% and increase, just to switch it up every 2 weeks or so.
    When I'm finished, the calorie counter displays about 520 calories burned (may not be accurate) But I'm satisfied, and I don't eat back my daily 500 cal deficit.

Outdoor walk: Very brisk pace, not sure of distance but still 60 minutes.
    Stats: Remember, I just joined MFP 4 days ago, but I have been exercising consistently since September.
    September 23rd: 183lbs
    October 10th: 175lbs.
    Height: 5ft3 and 3/4 (according to Doc, but I need to say 5ft4 to allow for more weight..lol)

On Monday and Wednesday for Strength Training: Jumping Jacks (ole' school elementary style) where you do the ten on each side and end up back at the front; regular push-ups, squat-thrusts, lunges, and arm weights (curls and lifts with dumbells)
    I just looked at a jump rope yesterday, I may purchase this weekend.

• 39plus
    39plus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I meant to say: Minutes 15-30 is 3.8mph. Basically change the speed every 15 minutes is what I do.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Hi. I usually walk 3x's per week...

3.5 ~ 4.0 mph depending on my mood
    45 minutes ~ 1.5 hours

I also swim at least 2 x's per week...

45 minutes ~ combination of strokes ~ free, breast, and back (not in good enough shape to do butterfly...yet)

I eat at a calorie deficit. I do not eat back my exercise calories.

209 ~ weight when I started exercising (231 when diet changed)
    179 ~ current weight

Good luck on your journey!

30_lb_diff.jpg

phenomenal!
  • pamcris
    pamcris Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    4-6 miles a day, 6 days a week. Lately I've been walking at 3.9 m/h at a 15 incline (as much as the treadmill allows). When I started changing my diet I was 210, then when I started adding exercise I was 190. Right now I'm 149. My goal is 135 (I'm 5'2") by January 16th. That's my daughter's birthday and since that was the beginning of my weight gain, I feel like it should be the "end" of my weight loss journey. Although I'm pretty sure after I reach 135, I will more than likely try to reach 130.

I also do strength training 3x a week. I follow the strong lift app and so far it has worked great!

My profile pic has the most recent side by side comparison. I think it was taken 2 or 3 weeks ago? I'll d another one when I reach 145 :)
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I lost ~40 pounds by eating a calorie deficit and walking between 3-6 miles @ 3.5/4.0MPH 5-6 days per week. After the first 40lbs I did get a bit bored of it and started jogging instead. I now couple that with lots of different types of workouts.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I used walking and swimming as my main forms of exercise to lose my first 100 pounds. I then added strength training but I still consistently try to walk 30-60 minutes daily for maintenance. I was walking over 2 hours a day when I was working on my weight loss but I hit my goal. Walking is great because it's low impact. My wife is also a big walker and has lots over 30 pounds walking.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I started walking about two months ago with about a one month break due to injury and screwing up my metabolism. My initial loss was 5 lbs which I gained back and now I am eating healthy and walk daily. I in the beginning could not walk down the street which is .2 mi then I could walk halfway to the school, then my walk was to school and back which takes 45 min now and is 2.8 mi. Then I did a loop which was 4.0 alternating two shorts 2.8 and 4.0. Recently I linked my 4.0 and my other 3.5 and came up with 5.0 so then I did the two loops like a figure 8 loop and it was 7.0 my first ever! And I did it ywo days ago. I did it in two hours. I am now at a 3.0 pace. I just started all my walking about october 3rd. I don't know my weight as I am not weighing for 30 days. I am doing a 22 mile march in nov. That is my challenge to myself and a 50 mile walk event in feb. So I have to keep challenging myself. I love walking it is my mood stabilizer! Im going on a challenge walk tomarrow and can't wait to see what I do!
  • killervogel5
    killervogel5 Posts: 24 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Years ago prior to MFP, I started at a gym, walking on a treadmill. 2MPH was an easy walk, 3MPH was a struggle then. I got away from the gym and the good habits and fell back into the old ones, put a bunch of pounds back on. When I finally decided to get in (better) shape for my wedding, I went back to the gym and started walking again. I had started MFP by this point and was eating better - I was surprised how much easier the walking was even after 15 pounds or so had come off. Ramped up the speed, 3MPH became a warm-up. Now that's a slow stroll for me. If I am walking for speed (e.g., a race walk, which they do have locally for me), I've knocked out a walking 5K in under 40 minutes. If I am walking for distance, which is how I usually treat my weekend workouts because I don't have to get to the office, I will generally walk about at 3.9MPH. I have also started running, but I know that's not for everyone. Either way, I've lost 166lb so far doing both walking and running (along with a little bit of gym time).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!