Gym or Home?

Options

Replies

• Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    If I could afford a gym I think I would really like to go, but I'd probably want to workout at home a lot too.

I'm a very shy person, and I'd probably be very self conscious at first, but I think being where other people could see me woud motivate me to keep going, cause I wouldn't want them to see me quit! :laugh:
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    loved the gym when I went, I worked out harder and longer, now it is too far away, and I am too cheap to pay for what I can do on my own :wink:
  • Cerabell18
    Options
    Home, outside, or the pool. I stopped going to the gym after college. I couldn't find one in my area I liked to go to. My husband and I have bikes, trainers so we can ride them inside if it's raining, and plenty of DVDs to keep us occupied. I live in Western Washington so no rain can keep me from a good run and it's always nice to step into the pool for an hours swim after freezing your butt off on the run over :smile:
  • StephCarlo
    StephCarlo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Home works best for me. When my 2yo goes down for a nap I have about 2hrs to myself, for exercise and a shower...someimes I can evenshave my legs!! WooHoo!
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Home. I have a treadmill in the basement so I'll use that or I'll run or bike from home. I have to drive to the pool, though. I try to fit that in on my way to or from work. I don't belong to a gym although having weights would be nice for strength training.
  • patsyrd
    Options
    :happy: You can say that again. Growing up my mom would have me sit at the table until ALL THE FOOD WAS OFF THE PLATE AND IT LOOKED LIKE YOU JUST HAD TO PUT IT INTO THE CABINET. I'm not saying my mom didn't cook good, but she sure was a stickler for the food process. I just didn't like her mashed potatoes. Toooo Lumpyyyyy for me. Yes, I agree with you, Africa vs. American's. Have a great day.
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I like the gym because there are more options there and more room than at my house, and I feel like I *have* to use it if I'm paying for it. :wink:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I was doing both religiously on alternating days, until the cold weather set in and when I get home I only feel like changing into jammies and calling it a day.

I walk right by the gym door when I leave my desk every night, so that's a shoo-in. I will use this to my advantage and do gym workouts exclusively if need be.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    definitely the gym! It truly is a better choice for myself... I applied and received a scholarship for the fitness center I go to after doing some pt on my knee after a car accident.

I deal alot with depression and am on disability due to that and anxiety....so without the gym, my social contacts can really be nil.... it took ALOT for me to push myself to go anywhere before I started at the gym.... well, quite frankly I was to scared to go anywhere other than to see my therapist.

So for me.....the workouts have saved my life many times over in a zillion different ways....I now have awesome friends that I'm not afraid to go out and do things with like in the past....I have so much in common with my gym rat buds...and frankly would spend all my time at the gym if I could. :laugh: :drinker:

I do Yoga at the gym but I also do it twice a day at home and have some excercise vids here at home I do as well........pushups, crunches things that way I do at home if I don't fit them in at the gym...

So I say whatever works best for each of us....:flowerforyou:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    both, but I do it at home.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    both, but I do it at home.
    and you're looking great/fit btw...if I may add that here:drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :drinker:
  • stephica
    stephica Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think I would make excuses if I could/did work out at home.

The gym seems to be more motivating, good equipment, relaxed and take my time, take a shower afterward and go from there. (The gym I goto is in a central location which makes it much easier) I find it much easier just to pack my bag and go from there. Once I am in the routine it makes it so much easier. Also next week I am going away to Dominican and need to go tanning every other day, So once I'm already there it helps.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Gym, I have freeweights and a bench at home, but thats it. I would much rather go to the gym (on days that I lift)
    run days dont matter, unless it's raining!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I loved the gym... but now I cant afford it. I loved being held accountabl by my other workout buddies. At home Im just not motivated... Does anyone have any thing that will help motivate me at home?

Get a workout buddy on here... Each day you let each other know how you did. Or join a challenge, they can be motivating...
  • psantacruz
    psantacruz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I did home for the last 4 months, but I'm ready to do the local activity center because of their equipment- it's stuff I don't have, It's not very busy there at all. I had a YMCA membership, but it was $50 a month, and you had to wait for machines because it was so busy. The local activity center is $50 a YEAR.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I did home for the last 4 months, but I'm ready to do the local activity center because of their equipment- it's stuff I don't have, It's not very busy there at all. I had a YMCA membership, but it was $50 a month, and you had to wait for machines because it was so busy. The local activity center is $50 a YEAR.
    That's a bite when you head on over and you have to wait around to get on a machine...I can feel your frustration.:grumble: :wink:

Fortunately at my fitness center I must time it right, plus my scedule is more open than some so I can go at off peek hours...so that can help hugely!

Glad you found a new place that is much less busy....who needs to get more stress when they go to workout to reduce stress..right?:bigsmile: Good luck at your new place of workout:drinker:
  • ACastle1
    ACastle1 Posts: 101
    Options
    I prefer the gym. At home I just have too much else to focus on. At the gym I can focus purely on working out.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    The machines are better at the gym and mine is right next to work so I'm not allowed to go home until I work-out. The classes are also more motivating since you're working out with other people and since you've got an instructor and the music. It's just more dynamic and I tend to push myself more and to work out more intensley. Also, the gym has better strength training options that, in my experience, no home gym can match.

Home is certainly more convenient and I still walk on the treadmill in front of some of my shows or do an occasional video but I find it's easier to talk myself out of it at home or to work less intently.
  • abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout at home. However, when I was in college I loved going to the rec center since it had more than I had in my house. Gyms still have more, but now I'm less motivated than I was then. I tend to do exercise videos or take Charlie, my chocolate lab, on a run. I also do a lot of random workouts when I'm watching various shows. Like doing leg lifts or ab exercises. My sister was a personal trainer (now she does research on cardiovascular disease) and she got me into the habit of doing this when I was in school. So, now I'm trying to start this again. I didn't realize how much of a workout I could get while mindlessly working out and watching a show.