What do you guys think about Lean Cuisine or Michelina's

Options
2»

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    i haven't really had many of the michelina's, but i'm a big fan of lean cuisine and healthy choice. yeah, i know they're high in sodium but they are so easy and convenient and most are really tasty.
  • LMPRF97
    Options
    Eat healthy choice it has less sodium and bad stuff.
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    They helped me figure out portion control, which is really helpful, but you can do better by cooking yourself.

I adore my crock pot. I eat better than any tray now, but I admit there are still 3 or 4 in the back of my freezer.

Edit: One other thing... I am very mold sensitive. I can smell and taste it where other people can't. On occasion, the veggies in the Lean Cuisines are not quite right up to par, although I doubt many would notice.
  • lakefunn
    lakefunn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to eat all of those, but since my daughter and I have steered more toward whole food, these frozen dinners taste horrible, especially Michelinas Lean Gourmet. Yuk
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    If it were the zombie apocalypse and they were all I had, I'm sure I'd happily eat them.
  • QueenKristine7
    Options
    Healthy Choice has a pumpkin squash ravioli that is soooo good, a bit high on the carbs but delicious none the less
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    slimyfishy wrote: »
    "Diet" meals are great if you are in a pinch. However, they are ALL high in sodium. Have them as a last resort, but compensate by having fresh fruit/veg and lots of water as a side :-D

This^

I use them sometimes, but always add some extra veggies. If sodium is something you need to watch, then look up sodium counts on Lean Cuisine's website before going to the store. Compensate by having lower sodium snacks/meals the rest of the day.

https://www.leancuisine.com/Products/Search.aspx

You can plug values into the sodium section
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Try Amy's Organic...so much better than Healthy Choice & Lean Cuisine!
    And I never have a problem fitting them into my macros :)
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    They're fast, convenient, relatively cheap, and you know exactly what you're getting for calories and nutrition, so if you don't mind the taste and texture, go for it. I never found anything like that (even the Kashi ones, which I enjoyed, as opposed to just tolerating because I was having a lunch emergency) very satisfying, though.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them everyday for a few years, sometimes twice a day.

They were CHEAP, usually $1-$2 on sale
    Fast
    The calories fit my plan.

I was typically hungry most of the time because 250 calories in a LC is a lot smaller than 250 calories in a large chicken breast and broccoli as an example.

But, I didn't enjoy them (they were fair) and my weight never changed. I tried making my own food which tasted better and fit my plan even more. With in 3 months I went from 220lbs to 185lbs and all I changed was replacing LC's with food I prepared.

I prepare food on Sundays. This past Sunday I cooked several chicken breasts various ways (shredded, diced, whole, seasoned, etc), made swiss steak, and cooked some cubed beef. Make some veggies and it's all ready for the week for lunch and dinners.

My wife will still occasionally eat them. I just cringe when she does because her face looks as bland as the food she is eating. The rest sit in the freezer since the fridge is full of prepared meals.

54850889.png
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Great food choice if you are solely focusing on calories in vs calories out. Pretty iffy on the sodium front, as well as some of the other macros.

I eat them every now and then, but always add stuff to them! For example, I add broccoli and seasoning to the LC eggroll. I add more spinach to the spinach alfredo. I add more kidney beans to the beans and rice.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I used to practically live on frozen dinners but have lost my taste for them... plus I don't find them very filling. Smart Ones has a Mexican beans and rice one that I like and I buy one every so often, but other than that I've pretty much given up on them. Oh... and what everybody else said about sodium.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I like the noodle based dishes in frozen food, particularly Alfredo or spaghetti marinara. I'd stay pretty far from a meat heavy dish, because the texture is gristle-y.

The fettuccini Alfredo from michelena is really yummy.

I add food to them, because 250 calories is just too low for me. So if I eat one, I'll have a salad or piece of fruit and a glass of water or skim milk along with it. Just the noodles isn't enough (for me)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Also the lean cuisine panini is very yummy. I had it sometime last year. I don't buy these frozen meals often, but I don't think they will hurt you any.