I want more veggies...should I fear carbs?

Options
Hello. I've been trying to get my macro ratio set right for me, but there is so much conflicting information out there. Any help for my situation will be appreciated.

I'm 5'7", 140lb., female, 40, pear-shaped 35-28-39. I've lost 40+ pounds over the last several years and hope to loose my last 5 or 10 sometime soon. My other goals: slim thighs and bulk a bit up top. I don't have any health issues. I don't eat processed foods and my sugar intake is low.

My activities include: lots of Pilates (intermediate to advanced, mat and reformer 4 times per week), just started consistently-weight training focusing on building strength in my upper body (2x), a short run once per week, a little dancing (overall not much cardio).

I've tried to up my protein, but it's hard. I eat eggs, roasted turkey breast, chicken breast, and lots of fish and crab meat (nothing red-yuck). Even if I eat three protein-based meals a day, I only seem to log 60g (trying for 100g). Increasing my meat portion sizes makes me feel bloated and heavy.

Trying to go low carb at 75-100g is not working either. I love veggies (fruits too, but I don't yearn for fruits as much). I've always thought that my large veggie servings were good (ex. 1 large broccoli head, 12 oz steamed green beans, 2 cups spinach, one yellow squash), but now I'm restricting my portions to reduce carbs. Should I stop worrying so much?

I eat few grains (some rice 2-3 tablespoons per serving, some oatmeal 1/4-1/2 cup), but have been laying off bread (1/2 sprouted grain English muffin sometimes) since I feel so much better and don't have cravings if I don't eat it.

Also, I love good fats and eat plenty of olive oil, avocado, coconut oil, pecans, and almonds, but there is no way I can reach the quantities recommended by low carb, high fat diet supporters.

With all of that said (thanks for listening), can I go with a 60c-20p-20f or a 50c-25p-25f and reach my goals???

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can't go both for low carb and low protein. I would try for 110-120g of protein, meet your fat macro, and not worry about carbs at all. I don't think there is such a thing as too many veggies.
  • fitzman84
    fitzman84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day? Seems with 60g protein, and 100c is only around 640 calories... How many grams of fat are you getting? Direct message me and I'll try and help.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Calories as a whole is much more important than trying to eliminate anything. Especially if it is a food you enjoy. Why do most fad diets fail because they are not sustainable long term. Good Luck on Your Journey

29509743.png
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your veggies. I don't think you should limit them at all unless you're dousing them in sauces or sugar or something.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You should never fear ANY macro nutrient- they are all important to a healthy functioning human being.

• throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I agree with PPs - there is no such thing as too many veggies, unless maybe we're talking white potatoes. Vitamins and nutrients, fiber, healthy carbs, dense low-calorie food... you really can't go wrong eating as much as possible.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,967 Member
    Options
    throoper wrote: »
    I agree with PPs - there is no such thing as too many veggies, unless maybe we're talking white potatoes. Vitamins and nutrients, fiber, healthy carbs, dense low-calorie food... you really can't go wrong eating as much as possible.

^That
  • liveonfred
    liveonfred Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! My calories are set at 1390. I just changed my macro ratio to 30c-25p-45f. This gives me 104 carbs (which is still kinda low-I will probably need to bump it up even without much grains), 87 protein (this is hard for me to reach, but I think I will try doubling my fish and fowl servings), and 70 grams fat.

Since one of my goals is to build muscle, is 87g protein enough? I hope so! Thanks!
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    veggies are the best - those are fiber carbs!
    - but shoot for a well balanced macro % if you are trying to hold onto muscle during weight loss .....for me 40/40/20 works well (protein / carbs /fat)...you can purchase some whey protein (yum chocolate flavor) to mix with skim milk....make sure one scoop is at least 30g of protein. Then there's protein bars to squeeze in between, if you still need it for hitting numbers.
  • liveonfred
    liveonfred Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Karen. I think for now, I'll work on bumping up my protein while staying under my caloric target. And...I'll go back to big veggie servings and not worry about the carbs.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    How much can one consume in one sitting on lettuces?
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I've been reaching around 50c30p20f. To up protein I've been relying on whole wheat breads if any bread, dairy (milk, cottage cheese, greek yogurt), whey protein powder, lean meats (fish, chicken, turkey... but mostly fish), and higher protein veggies, legumes and mushrooms. Since fat isn't too much a concern for you, you can choose whole fat instead of reduced for these, include nuts as you have, etc. I'm finding not much of an issue reaching over 100 g protein if I wanted (I usually take in around 1,100 - 1,400 cal a day).

On the MFP info page, it says to look for grains that have at least a 1:10 ratio of fiber to carbs. So, at least my rule of thumb is that as long as most of my carbs are coming from nutrient dense foods with fiber, it's ok. I also use that 1:10 rule for veggies, fruits and other high carb foods, but I find most have a much higher ratio of fiber.

Some comparisons that might be good options for you if you want higher fat and lower carb:

Soy beans - 28c 40f 32p
    Brussels sprouts - 84c 7f 31p (1:2.7 ratio fiber:carb)
    Whole Milk - 32c 49f 21p
    Cottage Cheese (2%) - 16c 28f 55p (this is my go-to for a high protein snack)
    Crimini Mushrooms - 60c 23f 60p (1:3 ratio fiber:carb)
    Whole Wheat English Muffin - 80c 9f 17p (1:6 ratio fiber:carb)

If you want to build muscle, higher protein than fat might be better; but of course there are so many schools of thought on that.

Hope this helps!