Might be going a cruise..not good.

Options
gamerguy123
gamerguy123 Posts: 48 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
So my family is pressuring me to go on a cruise right before our X-mas holidays. I don't really want to take the time off work, but just as important, I know it's very easy to gain weight on a cruise. I have worked really hard and only lost a pitiful 4-5 lbs & still have a long ways to go, but that can easily all be destroyed by this trip.

My question is how good are the gyms on these cruises? They are thinking about carnival. What are some tips to avoid gaining weight on the cruise? I know guys like myself tend to overeat when it's all you can eat.

35570519.png

Replies

• engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Do what you've been doing. Count calories and hit your goals. The gyms are like a nice hotel would offer. Lots of walking because the ship is so large. Pick excursions that make you work - not lay on the beach and eat and drink. (Snorkel, swimming, zip line, etc.) Go to the dance club(s) - you can burn a crap ton of calories shaking your grove thang one night! Ask for smaller portions at dinner. (Lunch sizes.) Get the meal plan the first day on board and plan your week of food. :) Go! Have fun.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I went on my first cruise in May, the gym was pretty good on Freedom of The Seas with classes as well as machines. There was also a running track on deck around the pool so best used early in the day. Lots of stairs going from cabin to events to eat etc etc. Formal dining not large portions and waiting staff adapted to your needs, good options at buffet too.

Weight gain isn't inevitable on a cruise.
  • stillwatergirl
    stillwatergirl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i think the opportunity to spend a vacation with your family should outweigh your fear of gaining weight on a cruise. I have never been on one, but i have heard there are lots of activities to choose from. So, if you overeat, engage in more exercise/activity.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be a disaster. There are LOTS of stairs and walking on cruises. Choose to never take an elevator. Find the walkers loop deck and walk it when you're bored.

Carnival food is pretty so-so, so have a few indulgences but you should find it easy to not go overboard. Drinks are overpriced so plan to go easy. If you're a diet soda drinker, buy the 'soda card', if they offer it.

Have fun!
  • cresyluna
    cresyluna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    A cruise should really be considered a challenge for weight loss, but not an absolute breaker. Almost always there is healthy food available - while it is tempting to declare "I'm on a cruise, all the food is included, I'm going to have triple portions of every food and three drinks at every meal!" no one is obliging you to do that! You can stick to muesli, salads, water, fruit, lean meats, steamed vegetables, etc. the entire time if you wish. I knew of someone whose mother insisted they split all cruise meals together to avoid overeating, so maybe that is a strategy if your family likes doing the multiple course sit-down meals?
    I think a big thing is, since the food is always included and everywhere, to not just mindlessly eat if you're bored/tired/whatever. Go walking. Read a book on deck. Take up knitting to have something to do with your hands. Watch a movie. Play a boardgame or card game with the family. Don't make food the focus of the cruise.
    And the gyms might not be the most spectacular but will have all the basics. Plus as people said above, walk everywhere/use the stairs.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You'll do a ton of walking on the cruise. The ships are huge and every one I've been on the theater for the show is on the opposite end of the ship as dinner. Take the stairs rather than the elevator - there is so much up and down the stairs. I haven't been on Carnival but the gym is usually adequate - I never end up spending as much time there as I should. There's usually some fitness classes offered. On your shore excursions try and pick something active or do a lot of walking. We walked so much! Oh my goodness - my legs and feet hurt!!

Again I don't know about Carnival but on the cruises I've been on there's always a healthy option on the menu in the main dining room, lots of salad and healthier options in the buffet and on my last couple cruises they had a healthier place to eat near the spa area for breakfast and lunch.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I've only been on Royal Caribbean cruises - they have great gyms. Hit the gym - and WALK everywhere you need to go - don't take the elevators. Be mindful of alcoholic drinks - I limited myself to one per day on the last cruise I took.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So my family is pressuring me to go on a cruise right before our X-mas holidays. I don't really want to take the time off work, but just as important, I know it's very easy to gain weight on a cruise. I have worked really hard and only lost a pitiful 4-5 lbs & still have a long ways to go, but that can easily all be destroyed by this trip.

My question is how good are the gyms on these cruises? They are thinking about carnival. What are some tips to avoid gaining weight on the cruise? I know guys like myself tend to overeat when it's all you can eat.

35570519.png

To be completely honest, I was not impressed with the food on my cruise. It was edible and it was available, but it wasn't that good. I don't understand the people who gushed about it.

Anyway, aside from that, there are so many things to do on-shop and on excursions that don't include food but do include exercise. You will only gain on a cruise if you choose to overeat and not move, just like in the real world.

Taking the time from work is another story.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous! I've been on four cruises and we're planning another one for next summer. On the last cruise I ate what I wanted and gained 2 pounds. They came off within 2 weeks of returning home and getting back to eating right. Enjoy yourself!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise last year. I hit the gym, nommed all the noms, and did damage control when I got home. After all, how many cruises do you get to take in your life?
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I went on a cruise a few years ago and didn't gain a pound. I hit the elliptical every day, and when I got seconds (or thirds) at meals, I chose lean proteins. You can do it! And have fun! Don't spend your vacation time stressing about your weight.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My strategy has always been to avoid the elevators, do lots of walking around the deck every day, use the gym treadmill at least twice during our 4 days and skip the fancy poolside drinks. We still enjoyed delicious food; we just didn't eat like it was our last meal. We'd have lovely big omelets for breakfast that kept us full until lunchtime (and away from the soft serve ice cream machines), a lighter lunch that was mainly veggies and lean meats, and more lean meat/veggies for dinner. I let myself enjoy a daily dessert from the buffet only if there was something I really wanted, as opposed to just eating it because it was there.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    On my ship the gym wasn't great....but who cares.

I got up in the morning, got in a 1/2 hr workout, and then went crazy all day.

I gained 8lbs on my 7 day cruise and lost all 8 after being back 4 days. It's going to be mainly water weight gained.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I don't gain weight on cruises either....we take the stairs as much as possible, hit the weights in the gym for 30 min in the morning, walk the track after dinner, do active excursions, and are mindful of our portion sizes. Nothing extreme in either direction, just an all round balance.

I actually find it easier to maintain and even sometimes lose a pound or two on a cruise. I'm active all day instead of hitting the gym in the morning and sitting at a desk all day.

We are setting sail in February....can't wait!!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    One week isn't going to have a big impact long term. Go on the cruise if you can afford it and afford the time off work. Eat what you want and relax. Be as active as you can by taking the stairs, doing laps around the ship, swimming, and active excursions. You may gain some weight, but a lot of it will be water weight.

What matters far more is what you do when you get home. Day one of being home is day one of resuming your logging, calorie counting, workout regimen, etc. That has a much larger impact than the one week you took off.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it.

You'll burn extra calories by walking all day. Like others said, take the stairs.

The food is actually easier to maintain as long as you don't do late night snacking. Wake up and hit the omlette station and fruit. Eat a good sized breakfast. I always ate around 9 or 10am and breakfast was so filling, you go do activities and before you know it, it's afternoon. They have a salad bar at lunch. Eat that or a sandwich and avoid the outdoor grill (that's the killer). Do formal dining for dinner (avoid the grill again). They have many healthy options for formal dining. Avoid the late night pizza...ok, maybe just one or 2 nights :smile:
  • gamerguy123
    gamerguy123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

I gained 8lbs on my 7 day cruise and lost all 8 after being back 4 days. It's going to be mainly water weight gained.

The gym sucking especially concerns me...I changed my routine to lift heavier & do more compound exercises, so that might suck not being able to do it for 5 days. Plus I set a deadline to loose 10 lbs by the end of December.

The other part is last time I went on vacation-gained 10-12 lbs of fat & I am just now loosing it.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    #firstworldproblems
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The gym should be suitable for heavy lifting of some form. Trying some new machines might be good for you. Look at it this way-- you won't be working so you can hit the gym every day.

If adjusting your goal date to be in January isn't conceivable, just stick to your calories on the cruise. There actually are other things to do besides eat and there are healthy food options.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

The gym sucking especially concerns me...I changed my routine to lift heavier & do more compound exercises, so that might suck not being able to do it for 5 days. Plus I set a deadline to loose 10 lbs by the end of December.

The other part is last time I went on vacation-gained 10-12 lbs of fat & I am just now loosing it.

The gym on the ship I was on was not conducive to lifting.....it was only a week. I did my cardio and called it a vacation.

How long was your vacation to gain 10-12lbs of fat? That's 35000 to 42000 calories...above maintenance..