Body Fat % - help?

Options
I changed my calorie intake to maintenance about 4 months ago. In that time I've started weight lifting (3 months ago) and increased my cardio from what I was doing (1 month ago).

Good news: I'm maintaining my weight perfectly. Scale is always +/- half a pound. So that's good.
Bad news: Body fat % has also stayed the same for the past 4 months. Wouldn't the increase in exercise change that? I can't figure it out. Anyone else have experience with this? Any advice is appreciated. :)

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It's notoriously difficult to measure body fat accurately. It can't be measured with a scale and even bodypods aren't reliable. I wouldn't worry about that. If you want to know if you're gaining muscle, use a tape measure and look at your clothes and how much you're lifting. If your weight is staying the same and your inches decrease you are becoming denser - i.e. lower body fat. If you see muscles where you used to see round soft curves, you have lower body fat. If your clothes fit better but you haven't changed weight, you've probably lost body fat.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I would suggest eat at a small deficit while lifting heavy, and maybe even lower the cardio so you retain the most amount of muscle possible. Also make sure you get enough protein.

What lifting program are you doing now? If you are doing your own thing I would suggest picking a tried tested and true program such as starting strength, stonglifts 5x5, New Rules of lifting etc.
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that's really helpful! And encouraging. :) I have lost inches the past few months and can definitely lift and do more all the time. And yet my trainer has me hold this thing every month that says "nope, you're still fat" Same-exact-number-every-time. (Okay that's not what it says literally but it's how I interpret it and it inevitably bothers me for days.)
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Recomp is really slow. I've been lifting for just over a year now and maintaining about the same weight. In March, 2014 I had a BodPod test done and came in at 18.9% body fat. I just had the same test last week and came in this time at 16% body fat. So over the course of 7 months I lost just a few % body fat.

This is lifting heavy too (currently I'm squatting 1.2x body weight) 5-6x/week. I also calorie cycle, but I'm not sure if this helps or not.

How are you measuring body fat, btw? If it's your scale at home, I don't think those are accurate in the least. Measurements, calipers, or if you have access to a BodPod (or DEXA or Hydro) will give you a better picture. Just keep in mind it's super slow. Pictures also help. I can really see the difference in my body after a year of lifting.
  • BChanFit
    Options
    Erickirb - I keep waffling back and forth on the calorie thing. I agree with you and think decreasing would help but my trainer seems to think *increasing* will help. So I feel stuck on the intake issue right now. I am trying to build a base to start marathon training in May. Looking to get up to 20 miles (18 this week, 20 next week) and will continue that until May so reducing the cardio isn't really appealing either. I don't understand how reducing cardio will help the BF% issue?

I'm currently eating about 130 grams of protein a day, give or take 5 grams.
  • BChanFit
    Options
    husseycd wrote: »
    Recomp is really slow. I've been lifting for just over a year now and maintaining about the same weight. In March, 2014 I had a BodPod test done and came in at 18.9% body fat. I just had the same test last week and came in this time at 16% body fat. So over the course of 7 months I lost just a few % body fat.

This is lifting heavy too (currently I'm squatting 1.2x body weight) 5-6x/week. I also calorie cycle, but I'm not sure if this helps or not.

How are you measuring body fat, btw? If it's your scale at home, I don't think those are accurate in the least. Measurements, calipers, or if you have access to a BodPod (or DEXA or Hydro) will give you a better picture. Just keep in mind it's super slow. Pictures also help. I can really see the difference in my body after a year of lifting.

Wow, very impressive! I can't squat that much, I just started semi-recently so I won't be attempting that anytime soon either. :)

I'm using the hand held thing they have at the gym. Not sure what it's called. Thanks for the info about the slow pace - helps put things in perspective. Trainer said I should be going down 2% or so each month.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    wait... you do all this work and your trainer is humiliating you in some way? ahem.... not cool
  • mbcaldwell123
    mbcaldwell123 Posts: 79 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If your trainer is checking your body fat with an electronic body fat measuring device, GET A NEW TRAINER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go somewhere that will measure with calipers or via hydro. The electronic measuring devices are notoriously in acurate. Have someone do a 3 pinch and a 4 pinch measure.
  • BChanFit
    Options
    I guess my thinking is... even if it's wrong, wouldn't it still reduce to a lower wrong number if I lost fat?
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Kindeo wrote: »
    I guess my thinking is... even if it's wrong, wouldn't it still reduce to a lower wrong number if I lost fat?
    not if the gym wants you to keep paying their trainer ;)

• BChanFit
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »

OMG Didn't even think of that. Something new to consider... I would certainly hope they're not reduced to rigging the body fat thingy for clients. :\
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    It's notoriously difficult to measure body fat accurately. It can't be measured with a scale and even bodypods aren't reliable. I wouldn't worry about that. If you want to know if you're gaining muscle, use a tape measure and look at your clothes and how much you're lifting. If your weight is staying the same and your inches decrease you are becoming denser - i.e. lower body fat. If you see muscles where you used to see round soft curves, you have lower body fat. If your clothes fit better but you haven't changed weight, you've probably lost body fat.

Links to the lack of body pod accuracy????

• husseycd
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

First thing that popped up in Google: http://www.nifs.org/fitness-center/fitness-assessments/bodpod

It's done at the local university here.
  • husseycd
    Options
    Standard Disclaimer: Sorry for the standing-on-the-toilet shots. I've been taking pics here for years never thinking I'd make them public. :blush:

This is ~3% reduction in body fat according to BodPod. It shows most in my abs. Weight is pretty much the same, or was in these pictures. Maybe a 1-2lb difference.

February 2014
    [img]http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/Lifting progress/F-02272014.jpg[/img]

August 2014
    [img]http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/Lifting progress/IMG_00000341.jpg[/img]

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

OMG Didn't even think of that. Something new to consider... I would certainly hope they're not reduced to rigging the body fat thingy for clients. :\

It's highly unlikely that your gym is manipulating the device. These devices are inaccurate because any number of things can affect them: how much water you've had to drink that day, what time of day you use it, if you use it before or after your workout, etc. Plus, the electric wave may not actually travel through your whole body. If you use the handheld device it pretty much just gets the top half, but if you use a BF% bathroom scale you get the bottom half. It's ok to use it to get a ballpark number, but don't accept it as true.

ETA: I own one of these and it is about 5-7% off of what I've been measured at by the caliper method (which also has room for error).
  • BChanFit
    Options
    I always do it every 4 weeks, same time of day, same amount of water/food before. I guess I just thought it would show decline and have been disappointed. I was trying to think of what I could do to get it to show improvement but it sounds like the general consensus is to not worry about it?
  • BChanFit
    Options
    And Husseycd you look great! Would love to be down 3% bf...
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My profile pic is me at 11%. It took me 2 months to trim up from 16%/11%. The only thing I changed was my diet. Lowered my protien and carbs to my body weight. I did lose a few pounds of muscle but I havnt figured out how to diet down exactly and keep all muscle, even with BCAA's.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    husseycd wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

First thing that popped up in Google: http://www.nifs.org/fitness-center/fitness-assessments/bodpod

It's done at the local university here.

Nice body recomp. I notice there will be links that claim the other methods of BF% are inaccurate also. I read a site on how to get inaccurate reading on hydrostatic weighing which is suppose to be like the best method to measure BF%.

I myself am getting a bod pod test done today. I saw some have a tube for you to breath in because that would give inaccurate reading since bod pod uses air displacment.

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

I was thinking the exact same thing!!!