I HATE Yoga

Options
Okay, I need to know that there is someone else out there that just detests Yoga. I have tried, and tried, and TRIED, to like it, but I just don't! :explode: I remember the first time I did Turbo Fire Stretch 40. I thought, awesome, 40 minutes of stretching... Wrong! I have renamed it, 40 minutes of I HATE YOGA! Does anyone else feel this way? Also, does anyone have any ideas to help me learn to at least tolerate it?

Replies

• ButterflyKristen
    ButterflyKristen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    That's so FUNNY b/c I was getting on the message boards to post THE EXACT SAME TOPIC!!! Today is YogaX day on P90X and I have been very resistant to doing it. I dread it! It's 90 minutes of mind-numbing positions and it does not burn the calories that allow me to EAT!

Sorry, I don't have a solution, but I will look forward to seeing what others have to say on your post. I can just say: "I'm with you hun!"
  • jscimeca
    jscimeca Posts: 66
    Options
    i agree!! I HATE HATE HATE Yoga!!!
  • skbruewer
    skbruewer Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I did a round of P90X, and YogaX made me want to kill myself! I almost always only did the last 45 minutes. I could at least deal with Tree, and Pigeon, but everything else just makes me feel like a pretzel!
  • kayceejay4
    Options
    I too, HATE yoga!!! You are not alone!!! LOL!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Tried it once and walked out on the instructor.
  • A_shelton316
    A_shelton316 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I HATE YOGA TOO!!! :mad: :laugh:
  • Dallas4369
    Options
  • Shua456
    Shua456 Posts: 211
    Options
    I DESTEST YOGA!!!!! I tried it with p90x and I dreaded the yoga days. You can do core work without doing yoga.

Now my daughter loves yoga and has lost 15 pounds doing it so it does have it's redeeming values, it's just not for everyone.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I like some yoga, but have found a ton that I can't stand. The first few times I did one of my favorite belly dance DVDs I hated the yoga warmup because I kept having to strain my neck to see what was happening. Once I got the moves down I liked it a little more. There are still some videos I can't stand.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add my name to the "I hate Yoga" pool! It's just not my thing. So, I simply don't do it. I love weights, cardio and stretching, and I just don't think I'm missing out on any benefits by not doing Yoga.
  • niffer82402
    niffer82402 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I will join this club too! I have tried several different times to "like" yoga, but it just isn't for me! I think it is sooooo boring! :yawn: I do LOVE the way I feel after a great workout, but for me, that means cardio, 30 Day Shred, Couch to 5k, etc. It definitely is a very personal preference!
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I just did Turbo Fire Stretch 40 and would have rather spent that time being bitten over and over again by mosquitos. Hated it - so much so, that I came here to search for threads about hating yoga and what-da-ya-know, I found "I HATE yoga." I don't have any solutions except to just not do it. I'd rather do one of the Cardio or HIIT DVDs. Or at the very least sub it for Stretch 10 instead.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    yoga is evil

try pilates instead, much nicer :)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    This thread confuses me, why would anyone try to make themselves like something that has no appeal, or keep trying to force themselves to enjoy doing an exercise that they don't get anything out of?

There are countless other forms of exercise, I wouldn't waste any of my time with something that didn't give me enjoyment - if I forced myself, it would be all to easy to find all sorts of valid reasons for not doing the next session.

Personally I find yoga dull - I did one session, back when I was fit and slim and knew within ten minutes flat that it simply wasn't for me. I won't be doing another.

EDITED TO ADD: In defence of yoga, it does have great benefits, in India our driver did yoga every morning and gave an extremely convincing testimonial to its value to him - it's just not for me.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    This thread confuses me, why would anyone try to make themselves like something that has no appeal, or keep trying to force themselves to enjoy doing an exercise that they don't get anything out of?

There are countless other forms of exercise, I wouldn't waste any of my time with something that didn't give me enjoyment - if I forced myself, it would be all to easy to find all sorts of valid reasons for not doing the next session.

Personally I find yoga dull - I did one session, back when I was fit and slim and knew within ten minutes flat that it simply wasn't for me. I won't be doing another.

EDITED TO ADD: In defence of yoga, it does have great benefits, in India our driver did yoga every morning and gave an extremely convincing testimonial to its value to him - it's just not for me.
    [/quote

Honesty, I hate all exercise, all forms of it. I have to "force" myself to do it all the time. And the only reason I keep going, is because I want to lose weight and get toned. It's the means to an end. Hate the means, love the end. Yoga holds a special place in exercise hell for me though because I have zero patience.

I just started the Turbo Fire 90 day challenge. And today the challenge included a workout called Stretch 40. This is the first time I've done this one and it turned out to be a lot of yoga. P90X also has a yoga class in it's program, apparently. So for those of us doing these DVD programs, that find ourselves in SURPRISE! a yoga class - not fun. And some of us really want to follow these programs perfectly, for whatever reason, and will have to do these yoga classes according to the program's schedule. I think I will actually sub this next time with the more enjoyable 10min stretch. But that's just me.