Over eating before "that time of the month"??

juliavalerie
juliavalerie Posts: 6 Member
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
Does anyone else find themselves ravaging for food the week before? Over the past 7-8 months I have been able to transform my diet pretty successfully, but that week I can not stop eating. The worst part is, all I want is french fries and cake!!! Then once it's over I barely have an appetite.

Any advice or help???

Thanks so much!

Replies

• messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    I'm with you on this one. I try to make better choices - low cal ones so that I can have cals to eat more... & I try to get in more exercise, again so I have cals so I can eat more... Crazy. I am in that stage RIGHT NOW. Hate it.
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    im a hormonal mess before mine so i just try and up the work outs and walks and if im craviong i just find like sugar free or 90 cal options for everything
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    yeah TOM makes me eat retarded. i go nuts. no self control. i wrote a whole blog dedicated to my lack of self control and the bs that TOM causes in my life..
  • Foxerlina
    Foxerlina Posts: 51
    OH MY GOD. I'm not even kidding, I'm due on and the week just gone was a huge failure for me....nothing satisfied my appetite and all I wanted to eat was chocolate. Still no sign of my period, but i can tell it must be soon as I've had a week of overeating and now my appetite seems to be curbing back to normal.

I will definitely say I suffer badly with TOM symptoms. I'm like an uncontrollable eating machine that doesn't want to exercise and would rather sleep!!!xx
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    i was JUST talking to someone about this.

i'm supposed to start in a day or two and for the past four days... i cant stop myself from eating. i'm making good choices... but too many good choices is still too many calories.

so i do try and workout a little harder or hide food from myself so its out of sight out of mind.
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    I tend to over eat during "the time" if I try to curb my cravings with substitutes. If I don't allow myself to have what I'm craving (always beef, and greasy things), I end up over eating. I once eat an additional 600 calories worth of soup, string cheese, and crackers, and I still wasn't satisfied!!!

Also, if I don't make it at home, I end up getting fast food... bleh!!! I've finally decided that when the craving hits, I'm just going to have it. No turkey burger instead of beef, no squash fries instead of potatoes. I figure as long as I make it myself and it's quality ingredients, even if it is fatty, at least it's nutritious!
  • ♥jewel♥
    ♥jewel♥ Posts: 839
    Just because you're on a diet or trying to change your lifestyle doesn't mean everything changes. We all get craving during that time of the month. Suck it up for a day or two, drink extra water and then move on with your life. Your period is going to be around a lot longer than any diet any of us have been on. Nothing is going to change. Give it up for a couple of days when you feel better go back to your program.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,283 Member
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Bacon.

ITA with Jewel...find a way to deal, it's what, less than a week out of the month?
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    You're preaching to the choir! I hate it! All I want is garbage/bad food and chocolate or something sweet! Typical, right?
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Hi guys,
    I'm cleaning up this thread due to unsupportive comments, increased reports on certain posts and the fact that it is going severely "off topic". Someone has asked for advice so lets allow them to get it without the post being de - railed. Thank you in advance. The thread will be temporarily locked in 5 minutes. There is no reason to believe that the OP posted this for anything other than advice.
    Thank you.
    Ms_Natalie
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator

:flowerforyou:
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    I'm the same way before TOM. For the past couple of days, all I wanted was chocolate and junk food. I gained 8 pounds in water weight alone! (I stepped on the scale tonight and I was within a couple of pounds of the weight I was at this time last week). I've read that 3-4 servings of dairy daily can help starve off the cramps and bloating. I'll try to find the article and post it.
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    I was just thinking about this the other day (as I am experiencing the same thing). It really does make it a little harder..but knowing it is hormone related helps me to get through it.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Hi guys,
    I'm cleaning up this thread due to unsupportive comments, increased reports on certain posts and the fact that it is going severely "off topic". Someone has asked for advice so lets allow them to get it without the post being de - railed. Thank you in advance. The thread will be temporarily locked in 5 minutes. There is no reason to believe that the OP posted this for anything other than advice.
    I was hoping this post would get taken care of - so glad that some of those comments were removed! That was crazy there for a bit. So nice to have moderators :)
  • juliavalerie
    juliavalerie Posts: 6 Member
    "lso, if I don't make it at home, I end up getting fast food... bleh!!! I've finally decided that when the craving hits, I'm just going to have it. No turkey burger instead of beef, no squash fries instead of potatoes. I figure as long as I make it myself and it's quality ingredients, even if it is fatty, at least it's nutritious!"

Thank you - that is a great idea. Next time I want french fries I will just make them at home (instead of getting the bag o' fries from 5 Guys - LOL!)

Thank you for the support!
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    I get like that a day or 2 before TOM ..I just try to eat at my maintenance calories (sometimes I still go over) or I try to work out a little more those days to compensate for the extra calories.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    YES I have that problem too. But, fortunately, I don't eat a lot of junk - even though I might want to. I think the healthier you eat the other 3 weeks, the easier it is to resist the cravings during that week. I reach for almonds or yogurt (sugar free) usually. But, it's not easy!
This discussion has been closed.