gaining weight after running?

Options
So yesterday I did my first 10K! I was so excited and had a great time. The only damper is that when I stepped on the scale today I had gained two pounds! Is that crazy? Too much sodium, potassium replacements? Has this ever happened to you?
:grumble:
Bunny

Replies

• bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    So yesterday I did my first 10K! I was so excited and had a great time. The only damper is that when I stepped on the scale today I had gained two pounds! Is that crazy? Too much sodium, potassium replacements? Has this ever happened to you?
    :grumble:
    Bunny
  • MelsaEstel
    MelsaEstel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I find that I show a gain after a tough workout. I think it's mostly due to the extra water I drink during and after the workout. I could be wrong.

Never be discouraged about showing a gain after a workout. Remember that over time, you will slim down, even if the scale doesn't agree. Muscle is heavier than fat, so the number isn't always the best judge of progress!

Congrats on the run! I have always wanted to be a runner!
  • juanitagf
    Options
    Muscles retain water to repair themselves. Don't worry about it.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    It's all about glycogen replacement. Google glycogen or check with Songbirdsweet for a fuller explanation, as I don't get all the scientific stuff too much but as SBS put if in layman's terms for me--your muscles burn glycogen for energy, on longer periods of exercise, you burn it all up, so your body makes more. All that involves fluid of some sort, so you will almost assuredly have a gain after any exercise that lasts over 90 minutes or so. I've gained up to 5-6 pounds within a day or so of long exercise. After I did my Century ride (100 miles in one day), I gained 6 pounds in 3 days.

Be patient, and in a few days, you'll see a big drop.
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    THANKS! I knew there had to be a good explanation for this! And by the way - i'ts almost gone! :smile:
    Bunny
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have a big run 10 miles or longer I notice my jeans feel a little tighter just for awhile then it all goes down. But I do know after 26.2 miles I lost 6 pounds, think I lost all water during that marathon. Weird!!

Alisha