what do you use to track your calories burned?

ladylu11
ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
I am wondering what is the best way to keep up with the total calories I am burning in a day? I need something I can wear like a watch not the thing that goes in your pocket. Any suggestions on what to get?

4433730.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    A Polar FT7 hrm!
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    HRM is your best bet. I have a polar ft4 and absolutely love it!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member

Me too!
  • JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373

Me too!

Which one is the best or does it matter as long as its a POLAR? I'm going to buy one this weekend.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    You said "in a day". As in all day? If you want all day tracking, you'll need a BodyBugg, or a BodyMedia sensor.

http://www.bodymedia.com

http://www.bodybugg.com

Also, these are not watch style units. They have watches you can get, like the BodyBugg, or you can use a smartphone to track the information. Otherwise, the units are worn on the upper arm, near the bicep.

HRM's like the ones mentioned by others in this thread are great for monitoring your calories burned during exercise, but should not be worn throughout the day. They will not accurately calculate your calories burned for the whole day. Only during periods of exercise.
  • Jazzart
    Jazzart Posts: 28 Member
    A Polar FT4
  • JRena225
    is it best to get a Polar with the body strap or can you still get a good enough calorie reading from just the watch? I don't wanna spend an arm and a leg if I don't have to.
  • AdamATGATT
    is it best to get a Polar with the body strap or can you still get a good enough calorie reading from just the watch? I don't wanna spend an arm and a leg if I don't have to.

Get a strap. Do not do the watch-only kind. Definitely not as accurate.
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    someone already suggested the hrm i have.. the polar ft7! it's wonderful. but i had to reply anyway because i love your ticker! go colts! :wink:
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,013 Member
    so, what if we want to track all day???
  • JRena225

Okay and i'm assuming not every Polar FT has a strap?
  • AdamATGATT
    so, what if we want to track all day???

Ready my post up above. I've explained that.
  • AdamATGATT

Okay and i'm assuming not every Polar FT has a strap?

Almost all Polar models I know have a chest strap. You can't go wrong with an FT4 or FT7. I have the FT4 and it works for what I want it to do.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    I have a Mio Classic Petite HRM--a watch with the HRM feature and many others. I usually just wear it when I'm working out but I have worn it several times all day long for kicks and giggles and kept up with my calories burned all day long. I love it...and it was very affordable.
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 355 Member
    Note to all:

Please, please please, take a look at the Bodybugg app reviews if you choose to buy a new version. Sadly, after trying to work with mine for about six months I have given up and can say nothing positive about them I have nothing good to say about them. I will be purchasing a HRM in the very near future.
  • TNGURL
    TNGURL Posts: 89 Member
    I have a MIO HRM... it's easy to program & track up to 3,500 calories burned at one time. Also, works as a watch, timer, etc.. highly recommend it. It was only $45 where as most are up to $100.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member

Me too!

Which one is the best or does it matter as long as its a POLAR? I'm going to buy one this weekend.

I did a lot of research, all kinds of brands,& models. Polar FT4 or FT7 have the best reviews. The FT7 is,a little bit cheaper
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    You said "in a day". As in all day? If you want all day tracking, you'll need a BodyBugg, or a BodyMedia sensor.

HRM's like the ones mentioned by others in this thread are great for monitoring your calories burned during exercise, but should not be worn throughout the day. They will not accurately calculate your calories burned for the whole day. Only during periods of exercise.

Exactly. But notice what he said: HRMs will NOT accurately tell you what you burned all day long. They are intended for cardio workouts only (e.g., 70% of your MHR or higher). Also, even if your HR is within this range, if you're doing non-cardio work (e.g., lifting weights ... with few exceptions), the calorie burn number will be wrong. These HRMs are ONLY for use during cardio workouts. This is because the calorie calculation is related to oxygen burn (this is complicated and I'll skip the long version).

Simple Rule: Wear your HRM only when you're doing a cardio workout.
  • ladylu11
    thank you all for your input, advice, suggestions, etc.... this really helps a lot!
  • ladylu11
    someone already suggested the hrm i have.. the polar ft7! it's wonderful. but i had to reply anyway because i love your ticker! go colts! :wink:

Thanks girl! Can't wait til football season!
This discussion has been closed.