Rock Climbing and Bouldering

Options
So I'm going to be getting back into climbing after three years not doing anything at all. I climbed from the age of 9 til i was about 15/16.

I need advice on everything from gear to grades, I want to take my boyfriend out bouldering in the Peaks sometime during summer, is there anything I should know?

If anyone here is a rock climber send me a message or something, if anyone is willing to be my mentor I'd greatly appreciate it!

Replies

• scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Hi! My boyfriend and I are super into rock climbing, both indoors and outdoors. We're just starting to ramp up our indoor training for some big outdoor climbs this summer in the Alps.

Feel free to add me if you like. What kind of things do you want to know?
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have been using this as motivation to keep my cardio up! I soooo desperately want to rock climb! I did a rock wall once when I was in jr. high and the part I hated was people looking at me... after I went bunjee jumping at my smallest adult weight we went to the beach and was doing a lot of bouldering and I was hooked. Too bad I'm too fat and not enough balance right now but it is definately something I am working towards.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi, I free climb in and outdoors, and solo climb up to VS routes. Start very simple. I'd recommend going to an indoor wall for a few hours and trying out the routes, noting the grades. You might find your upper body fitness needs to improve, but start on easy stuff and have fun!

David
  • Kezzykezkezkez
    Options
    yeah I KNOW i need to improve my upper body strength lol, I was never very god at gradings and stuff, I normally just went on what I liked the look of.

I need to find a wall near me! *sighs*
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    OH, I just picked up a book from the local library the other day called "Girl on the rocks" not only is it a great intro book for women BUT it has a list of resources and gyms in the back by state. :-D Might be something worth ordering at the library.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've been climbing for about two months now (same time I joined MFP), and typically I climb 3 days or so per week at my local gym. I've done endless amounts of research into climbing, and so I can probably answer (or at least point you in the right direction) most questions that you might have right now.

First of all, consider buying a book. I just recently acquired "Training For Climbing" by Eric Horst (http://www.amazon.com/Training-Climbing-2nd-Definitive-Performance/dp/0762746920/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303997058&sr=8-1), but you may want to consider :smile: "Learning to Climb Indoors":smile: by the same author (http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Climb-Indoors-How/dp/0762739851/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1303997058&sr=8-4).

Getting a good beginner book will be invaluable; it will help you to avoid very common beginner mistakes, keep yourself injury free, waste less money, have more fun, and progress more quickly. Also, Eric Horst is an extremely knowledgeable and science-oriented author on the topic, as well as a good writer.

Also, where do you live? There are indoor gyms almost everywhere, it's probably just a matter of googling "Rock Climbing 'X'" ('X' being the city that you live in).

As far as gear, the best advice is to get a pair of shoes once you know that you are truly into climbing. You should wear the shoes with no socks, and they should be snug, but not so uncomfortable that you can't focus. Keep in mind that shoes DO stretch, up to a half a size if they are truly synthetic, and up to over one complete size if they are leather; this stretch occurs within a few climbing sessions (I can attest to it personally), so keep that in mind when you try on shoes. Also, be SURE you try on a bunch of climbing shoes before buying a pair. All of the different brands fit differently, especially on different individuals. Personally, I love 5.10, but something else may work better for you.

As far as grades etc, the intro book to climbing that I linked above should explain all of that and more in ample detail.

Good luck, and message me if you have any questions!
  • ChessRonin
    Options
    yeah I KNOW i need to improve my upper body strength lol, I was never very god at gradings and stuff, I normally just went on what I liked the look of.

I need to find a wall near me! *sighs*

Also, upper body strength is important, it's true, but probably not nearly as much as you think it is. Again, a good climbing book will explain this in ample detail, but for beginners, the fastest improvements are made in skill/technique; once you are climbing better (meaning using your feet and body positioning well) your lack of upper body strength will seem like much less of a hindrance.

This is another reason why owning your own pair of quality, snug, sticky shoes makes a huge difference in the beginning; it will help you learn to trust and rely on your feet from the very start, as opposed to developing the bad habit of relying too much on your upper body because the gym shoes don't fit well enough and/or are worn out etc.
  • Kezzykezkezkez
    Options
    Thank you for everything you've said! I really can't wait to get back into it :)
  • ChessRonin
    Options
    I realize now, after re-reading your OP, that you may not be a beginner. If everything that I said was useless to you, please let me know, and indicate the sorts of questions that you have, and I'll be glad to try to answer!

For instance, in terms of gear, I've compared the rubber of all of the major shoe brands and I find 5.10 to be among (if not THE) stickiest. Specifically, I currently use the 5.10 Prism:love: , which is a fantastic shoe, although in the medium to high price range. Depending on your shoes size, as a woman, you can find shoes on sale for SUPER cheap. My girlfriend is lucky enough to be a size 4.5/5, and there are always climbing shoes in that size on sale for under $50 (sometimes as low as $20), I assume because the companies and major outlets have a hard time getting rid of those very small sizes.

Madrock also makes a good shoe. My girlfriend currently climbs in the Phoenix :smile: , which she likes, and also has a pair of 5.10 Moccasyms :happy: (which I found for $40 at EMS) which she has yet to try on rock.

Again, let me know if you have any questions!

PS- Forgive the gratuitous use of smileys, but until MFP adds hyperlinks to their forum posts, this is the best way that I have found to footnote URLs!

:love: http://www.amazon.com/FiveTen-Mens-Prism-Climbing-Shoe/dp/B00128YBJ0/ref=sr_1_4?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1303999154&sr=1-4

:smile: (http://www.amazon.com/Mad-Rock-Phoenix-Lace-Climber/dp/B0001VQMC8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303999015&sr=1-1-spell)

:happy: http://www.amazon.com/FiveTen-Mens-Anasazi-Moccasym-Climbing/dp/B0009EFPG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=shoes&qid=1303999066&sr=1-1
  • Kezzykezkezkez
    Options
    haha thanks lol, my boyfriend is buying my equpiment, but wont tell me what!!