Caloric Intake

Options
Hi! 5'6, 122, 19 year old male. I run everyday for about 45 minutes … My parents are always on me about at least maintaining my weight. How many calories would you suggest I eat per day? Thanks

Replies

• jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I just ran your numbers on the scooby tdee/bmr calculator. It said your TDEE is 2700. So that would be the amount of calories you need to maintain.
  • hwells114
    Options
    okay, thank you very very much. would you say 45 minutes of running is adequate exercise?
  • jillmarie125
    Options
    Are you looking to gain weight? Or maintain? If you are just trying to maintain, then i would stick with the running and make sure to eat 2700 calories a day. If you want to gain, then you would need to eat more and I would suggest a weight lifting program.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    hwells114 wrote: »
    okay, thank you very very much. would you say 45 minutes of running is adequate exercise?

Whether or not it's adequate depends on your goals. What are you trying to achieve?
  • hwells114
    Options
    well, see, I am in college and whenever I go home my parents tell me I need to put on some lbs. However, it really is tough for me. I'm not one of these guys on here looking everyone to tell me how skinny or whatever I am. I have trouble putting on weight. If I don't workout, eating a full days worth of food is hard for me because I feel a sense of guilt. If I run the 45 minutes and eating 1700 calories, would that at all help me gain weight>
  • jillmarie125
    Options
    no you would lose at 1700 calories
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Just input your numbers on one of the many calculators online, then fool around with the numbers over some time to see what keeps you from losing or gaining.
  • jillmarie125
    Options
    ok- i want to also add, that I know its hard to gain weight for some people. Not me...but I have friends who have trouble gaining. But if you want to atleast maintain, then 2700 with your running. Working out is good for you and I would never suggest not running or any form of exercise. You just need to make sure you are eating enough. If you don't like eating full meals, nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy....are all good options for getting your calories up without feeling like you are over eating.