What do you do to stay motivated?

Options
I came down from 183 pounds to 161, and even though I'm happy with the weight loss, I'm still so big and lately I've been struggling to stay motivated to continue. To make matters worse, I ate every type of junk food my eyes saw today and I just feel so disappointed in myself. I'm just at a point where I hate being on a diet, I hate how long it takes to lose weight - I just want to be slim and healthy already so I can end this lifelong obsession with food and diets. Has anyone else ever felt this way?

Replies

• TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You are acceptable and loveable right where you are. There is more than weight and foods. It's about choices we assume will help us get what we want. Either you be content to look and feel however a sedentary lifestyle full of junk food makes you, or you make a choice to feel good and look good, and eat a diet that supports that lifestyle.

I switched and decided to eat healthier and exercise. I wanted more energy and my wife to find me more attractive, again. I also want to be promoted at work. I am getting these things through exercising, eating the right foods, burning the fat off, and it just makes me want to do more.

Don't beat yourself up over grabbing some junk food - get your butt back in the gym or get out and exercise. Give your tomorrow's self something to thank you for.
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You need to accept the weight was not put on over night, and the weight will not come off over night. Embrace your journey as you go. Think of how wonderful you are going to feel health wise and emotionally. Don't give up. Don't quit. The ends results will be so much sweeter than a bag of candy or a cookie. Also keep in mind this is not a diet; this is a lifestyle change. Embrace it!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Gosh, yes- that first 15 seemed to take forever! But it eventually came off as did another 80. Be patient with yourself; long-term results don't happen overnight. Celebrate that 20 pounds!
  • IconStillFree
    IconStillFree Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have to prove to myself I can do it
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I pick a mantra and stick with it for the day. When I need motivation or I am at a weak moment, I remember that mantra. It helps - even through the long and rough times. My mantra today is: Don't quit when you're tired, quit when you're done.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    If you expect just to hit your goal weight and then "live happily ever after" without having to be concerned about your food and exercise, you will just gain everything back and then some.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    What motivates me is just knowing eventually I will die. And I don't want to die not living my life to the fullest. I spent most of my life up until 2 years ago thinking I was invincible even at 410 lbs. Maybe it was just getting closer to age 30 and my health taking a very sudden (or so it seemed to me) downward spiral that put things in perspective for me. There are things I want to do, a "bucket list" if you will, that I just can't do at my weight. I'm already lucky enough to be able to say I've visited another Continent, not many people in my life who aren't in the military can say that and it was a big triumph for me. Among other things I wanna do:

1) Ride in an airplane without a seat belt extender
    2) Sky dive
    3) Shop in the "cute" section of a store. The "women's plus" sections always look like a floral curtain exploded in them :disappointed:
    4) Decrease the risk of getting sick. I already have degenerative disc disease (10 years now) from my mom's side of the family.
    5) Park anywhere I want, not end spaces because I'm always afraid someone will park so close to the driver's side that I can't squeeze back in my car
    6) I want my SO to be able to pick me up when they want. I've NEVER experienced that squealing-as-you're-being-lifted-off-the-ground type feeling. Ever.
    7) I want my doctors to treat me based off my illness and not based off my weight. Yes this happens. It's a real thing. The only way around it is to be stern with them.
    8) I want to fit into smaller shoes! Apparently this happens? I started at 11 wide, now I'm 10 wide. I've seen people lose multiple shoe sizes as they lost a lot of weight. That'd be nice.
    9) Less discrimination in general. Yep, that's a real thing too.
    10) TAKE A BATH! Omg. I've -always- taken showers because honestly I just can't fit in a standard bath tub. I've taken a bath TWICE. Once at a friend's when he got an apartment that had this huuuuge almost jacuzzi style bath tub. It was amazing, the most relaxing thing I'd experienced in a long time LOL. The second time was at a bath house in Japan. Which was slightly uncomfortable just because I was not used to that kind of environment and was still not comfortable with my body.

Before I started losing weight, I spent nearly 2 years just learning how to love and respect myself. I decided to filter out bad people. I decided if someone was going to fat shame me I wouldn't stay quiet any longer. And then I decided to focus on myself and become healthy so that I can be the best version of myself I can be, inside and out. I realize that for me this is a complete lifestyle change. It is not going to end once I'm at my goal weight. I have had a bad relationship with food for almost 30 years, so I'm just going to expect that I'll be spending at least another 30 re-wiring myself. It's ok, there are going to be bad days/weeks, but I enjoy the challenge now. :)

68456049.png
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    If you expect just to hit your goal weight and then "live happily ever after" without having to be concerned about your food and exercise, you will just gain everything back and then some.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ True that!
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! It's a-ok to have a terrible horrible no good very bad day. I suggest that you forgive yourself and move on. :) you've made amazing progress. I read on here once that there's no such thing as motivation. Only discipline and dedication. One day won't break you. Hope you feel better!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I love the part filtering out bad people, yes I think we learn to take care of ourselves. Forgive your self when you mess up, we all do it. You act like you just want to quickly do this and get it done. This is a lifestyle change. Make up your mind this is a life time project and figure out a way to live a different way for the rest of your life You can learn to eat differently and be happy but it is work and you have to be willing to do it.
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My mantra today is: Don't quit when you're tired, quit when you're done.

Love this!
  • namstanton
    Options
    The attitude to motivation I tried to adopt is, forcing myself to do something. Reminding myself at the end of the day, its me has stopped me getting closer to that goal. I get annoyed at that. I suppose alot of it is just trying to have a diet thats enjoyable, and do excercise that you are excited about.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    What motivates me is just knowing eventually I will die. And I don't want to die not living my life to the fullest. I spent most of my life up until 2 years ago thinking I was invincible even at 410 lbs. Maybe it was just getting closer to age 30 and my health taking a very sudden (or so it seemed to me) downward spiral that put things in perspective for me. There are things I want to do, a "bucket list" if you will, that I just can't do at my weight. I'm already lucky enough to be able to say I've visited another Continent, not many people in my life who aren't in the military can say that and it was a big triumph for me. Among other things I wanna do:

1) Ride in an airplane without a seat belt extender
    2) Sky dive
    3) Shop in the "cute" section of a store. The "women's plus" sections always look like a floral curtain exploded in them :disappointed:
    4) Decrease the risk of getting sick. I already have degenerative disc disease (10 years now) from my mom's side of the family.
    5) Park anywhere I want, not end spaces because I'm always afraid someone will park so close to the driver's side that I can't squeeze back in my car
    6) I want my SO to be able to pick me up when they want. I've NEVER experienced that squealing-as-you're-being-lifted-off-the-ground type feeling. Ever.
    7) I want my doctors to treat me based off my illness and not based off my weight. Yes this happens. It's a real thing. The only way around it is to be stern with them.
    8) I want to fit into smaller shoes! Apparently this happens? I started at 11 wide, now I'm 10 wide. I've seen people lose multiple shoe sizes as they lost a lot of weight. That'd be nice.
    9) Less discrimination in general. Yep, that's a real thing too.
    10) TAKE A BATH! Omg. I've -always- taken showers because honestly I just can't fit in a standard bath tub. I've taken a bath TWICE. Once at a friend's when he got an apartment that had this huuuuge almost jacuzzi style bath tub. It was amazing, the most relaxing thing I'd experienced in a long time LOL. The second time was at a bath house in Japan. Which was slightly uncomfortable just because I was not used to that kind of environment and was still not comfortable with my body.

Before I started losing weight, I spent nearly 2 years just learning how to love and respect myself. I decided to filter out bad people. I decided if someone was going to fat shame me I wouldn't stay quiet any longer. And then I decided to focus on myself and become healthy so that I can be the best version of myself I can be, inside and out. I realize that for me this is a complete lifestyle change. It is not going to end once I'm at my goal weight. I have had a bad relationship with food for almost 30 years, so I'm just going to expect that I'll be spending at least another 30 re-wiring myself. It's ok, there are going to be bad days/weeks, but I enjoy the challenge now. :)

68456049.png

This is VERY motivational. Thank you!
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    I motivate myself by reminding myself that I'm still starting this journey, it's only been a month, I have time to learn what to do right, to accept that sometimes days don't go how you want, and to take the time to properly lose weight. I remind myself that it's okay to slip up, it's okay to feel down, it's okay to enjoy food, and it's okay to not want to exercise sometimes. If I'm not happy with it, what's the point? The only way change will stick is if I do it in a way that makes me happy. It might take me years to lose all the weight I want to lose but at least I'll do it in my own way at my pace. You don't need to lose it all over night because you didn't gain it all over night. I just remind myself that I am a wonderful person with a goal in mind and that I need to just accept myself and love myself to make it to that goal. Beating myself up or constantly worrying won't get me there.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Progress pics!
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Grumpycat that post was amazing.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    AOdell79 wrote: »
    Grumpycat that post was amazing.

Thank you :)
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I am internally motivated to be the best version of myself, and any actions that move me away from my goals are just not an option. Life is too short to fall short of full potential.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Everyone has those days and it's ok. It's ok to feel that way. I know I do, and I find myself arguing with myself to "DO" just get up and do something...so I trick myself by saying...ok I'm just going to do 5 minutes of activity to get my blood moving...then 5 minutes goes by and I'm already feeling better in my mind and with the activity so I do 5 more...usually turns into 20. But really, just know that we all do this, no-one can be motivated every single day and every single minute!
  • morning_joy
    morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I keep a dress that I will look fantastic in when I get firmer and a bit smaller hanging on my wall. I see it every morning when I wake up and every night when I go to sleep. I can picture myself in it dancing and looking amazing.