has anyone tried barre class?

Options
My friend and I want to try a barre class. Has anyone tried it? My friend said that she read reviews that said the class is really hard and that reviewers said that they "felt like they were dying." She is more in shape than I am, but what can we expect? I read that it's for all levels but is it really? Any info would be appreciated. I'm trying to mix it up so I don't get bored with working out.

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Never tried it, but I've heard its suppose to be a really good work out. Just sign up, whats the worst thing that can happen??
  • penkwin
    penkwin Posts: 25 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I've done a few barre classes at my gym (not sure if it's exactly the same as the 'barre method' or something like that, but I'm sure it's similar). It's tough, but I told the instructor beforehand that it was my first time trying it and she kept an eye on my form. I had to rest a few times but so did a few other people. I was also not very flexible but the instructor said that my form was good and the flexibility will come later, haha. My class was a lot of repetitive movements, strengthening the legs. I definitely felt the burn. If you're already working out, chances are you will be able to handle it just fine, but it's no picnic! After it's done you feel really great though. :)

ETA: You could also try looking up "barre workout" on youtube to see a few examples.
  • reginastiffler
    reginastiffler Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have never done one of those barre workout classes, but I really miss doing the barre workouts in ballet. Let me know how your class goes if you decide to do it :)
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Just did the 10 min w/o on youtube. Wow!
  • proverbs_3130
    Options
    I do a Barre class 2x a week and am completely hooked. I have done Barre3 before (it's own branded version) but they are all pretty much the same. Small repetitive movements cause deep muscle stimulation that reshapes your legs, etc. It is really fun, goes by fast, and causes that "good" sore for a couple of days. Go for it!
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I do Pure Barre and absolutely love it. It is a killer, but the teachers are very supportive and give modifications based on your level.
  • GirlWithCookies
    GirlWithCookies Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! We're definitely going to do it (as soon as the required sticky socks I order come in). How do you log, though? I didn't see it in the exercise database.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've never done one of the barre fitness classes, but after 25 years of dancing my favorite workout is still a good old fashioned ballet class! I love having my legs and butt feel like they are on fire after only a few minutes!
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    It's ballet based exercise. It's physically challenging but really simple to follow. It's a great workout without the high impact stuff like jumping that turns a lot of people off.

Give it a try!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have heard that they are really difficult but then when I read about what they did I questioned what kind of adaptation they were trying to solicit from that type of training. It really sounds like it would be incredibly tiring without a lot of actual benefit.

When you're training for something, no matter what it is, always pay attention to the SAID principle (specific adaptation to imposed demands). In a nutshell this means that you are going to get better at the things that you do more than the things that you do not do. So, if being good at a barre class is important to you then they are definitely appropriate; however, if you want to run fast, lose fat, build muscle, be strong, etc... there are more effective ways to spend your training time.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I take a barre class once a week. Mine seems to incorporate pilates, weights, and yoga into it. If you enjoy full body resistance workouts, then you might enjoy it. Also, until I took that class and some other pilates classes, I never realized how much an inch movement could hurt and burn.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't wear the sticky stocks, they irritate me to no end. I record it as an hour of pilates. It might be more, but I like the wiggle room.
  • zumbamomma2
    Options
    I bought a 5 class package through groupon. I had never done it before. The instructor was very helpful. I really felt my core get stronger over the 5 classes. It is definitely a work out. I also recorded it as pilates. I encourage you to try it, but give it a few times to get the hang of it. Also, most important don't forget to laugh and have fun! :)
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I've done it too (Groupon, it's super expensive!) Doable for sure and you really feel it the next day.
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I've done it a few times before, I didn't like it.
  • lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    try starting with tracy Anderson on youtube. her moves are ballet like, great for getting your butt off of the back of your legs. warning, she is no cheerleader, you need to watch to learn, but what she lacks in teaching skills, the workout will make up for.
  • kittycatty22
    Options
    I did barre class for a while and loved it. It was quite hard and challenging but I really felt the results.

My class was in a dance studio which meant there was mirrors everywhere which made me feel a little self conscious/ uncoordinated.
  • cynthiar1025
    cynthiar1025 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I go to Pure Barre 1 - 2 times a week as my schedule allows. I'd love to do it more, but time is an issue. We have people of all different ages and levels. There was one student who was 9 months pregnant. Went to class one day and the next, had her baby. she obviously did a modified technique. The teachers are good about helping you out and making sure you are doing the proper form and are really supportive. I am usually not a fan of group classes as I am uncoordinated, but the barre classes are not a zumba class, so it is easier for me to keep up. I love the results. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.
  • GirlWithCookies
    GirlWithCookies Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Update: I went to a class this morning. I didn't really like it. Not because it was hard -- which it was, so it must have been working -- but because it just wasn't fun. I might do it again if my friend wants to, but it was meh.