Low calorie Ideas, please!

Options
Hello! I'm fairly new to this. I was counting calories before and got down to 140 pounds, was doing so well. Got a new desk job then I got right back up to 170. :( I'm looking for low calorie snack, dinner, lunch, whatever doesn't matter just different options. I've finally started looking and so far the absolute BEST things that help me: cauliflower smashed and prepared like potatoes, sooo low calorie and good, cinnamon yams are delicious, sweet, and low calorie vs eating something unhealthy, been cooking lots of fish and chicken too. Anyway, would appreciate ideas and recipes! Thank you!

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Winter squashes are very filling and low calorie. Beans and lentils are extremely low calorie for the amount of nutrition they pack.

A number of vegetables can be prepared mashed, especially root vegetables.

Broth based soups are a great diet food. The warm broth makes them so filling without adding caories.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Cutting cucumber slices and making a mango salsa.
    Celery and PB2.
    Just a half cup of oatmeal can be filling.

Keep drinking water - that can fill you up!
    Message me if you want more tips.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You can have whatever you want. It is all about quantity. Fats you can eat in small portions, but will satiate you for longer. Fruits and veggies will carry a lot of mass for not so much Calories, but will leave you wanting more by first break. You could have 5 eggs for 350 Calories, or a bowl of cereal for the same. it is up to you.

Generally, low calories will have less food and less ingredient besides spices and herbs. I cannot condone "low calorie" items that will hold you over. Your body naturally wants to eat! So it just depends on WHAT you eat. Fruits and veggies will leave you wanting more in a little while. Nuts are always a good go to. But 80% of what I eat is fat, so that may not apply to you and your goals. That is the best I got for ya. I suck at cooking.

Best luck finding your solutions!
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Broth based soups
    Big 'ol salads
    Spaghetti squash or zucchini as a pasta substitute is ah-mazing (get a vegetti!!)
    Sunflower seeds aren't exactly low cal, but the ones in the shell slow you down enough to let you a snack over a long period of time
    Air popped pop corn
    Sweet potato with cinnamon and a little maple syrup can be like dessert and it's so yum and healthy
    Frozen berries mixed with Greek yogurt is another awesome almost-dessert snack
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i love everything from skinnytaste.com I've made dozens of her recipes and they all come out fantastic. its really helped me to stay on plan if I'm eating good (but also nutritious) food!
  • aevonvett
    aevonvett Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs.
    I can't recommend this enough. High in protein and it will keep you full.
  • deelabonte
    Options
    If you eat dairy, plain non-fat greek yogurt is great-- 18g of protein per serving and 0g of sugar. Also has 50% of your daily calcium requirement, depending on the brand. Add in some fresh fruit and you're set.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    aevonvett wrote: »
    Hard boiled eggs.
    I can't recommend this enough. High in protein and it will keep you full.

This is my go-to snack. I eat 6 a day (two for morning snack, two at lunch, and two for afternoon snack before I go home to dinner).
  • Br00kie18
    Options
    Thanks guys! Skinnytaste.com definitely looks promising. I will definitely be using all your ideas.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Your best bet would be to look up recipes on Pinterest & type in low calorie meals, dinners, lunches, etc.

Some of my favorite lower calorie meals include:

1. A box or a few servings of frozen veggies, rice, & a protein like chicken or tuna mixed together.
    2. A wrap with chicken or steak, mushrooms, spinach or iceberg lettuce, & some kind of dressing like Thousand Island.
    3. Rotisserie chicken either in a wrap, salad, or by itself

For some snack ideas:

1. Smoothies with some kind of fruit, protein powder, milk, & any other things you want to add. I sometimes add in greek yogurt, unsweetened cocoa powder, chocolate chips, etc.
    2. Veggies & dip
    3. Rice cakes with different nut butters, fruits, etc.
    4. Protein bars

• alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Find some friends here in MFP that are trying to lose and have open diaries. I have gotten so many ideas from peaking at other people's diaries.

Veggies were my best friends when I was cutting, they fill you up, you can have tons of it and are always low in cal. I cook them in different ways, boiled, baked, sauteed. Mix it eggs, quinoa...
  • assthetik
    assthetik Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    IGbnat24 wrote: »
    Broth based soups
    Big 'ol salads
    Spaghetti squash or zucchini as a pasta substitute is ah-mazing (get a vegetti!!)
    Sunflower seeds aren't exactly low cal, but the ones in the shell slow you down enough to let you a snack over a long period of time
    Air popped pop corn
    Sweet potato with cinnamon and a little maple syrup can be like dessert and it's so yum and healthy
    Frozen berries mixed with Greek yogurt is another awesome almost-dessert snack

this^