1200 calories

Options
I went to see my Doctor for a checkup today. I have been using the Fitbit and MyFitness Pal for 6 mos. I love using both and have lost 16 pounds. I have been fairly miserable the whole time, because I HAVE BEEN SO HUNGRY!!! I have tried eating more protein and every combo of food I could think of. When I told him I was on 1200 calories a day, he told me that was way too low for anyone. He said no one should go under 1500 calories, because it is too hard on the body. I know I will not be losing weight as quickly, but I know I cannot stay on this at 1200 cals. I thought I should share this in case anyone else is having the problem.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Common problem here - people want instant results so they drastically cut calories to an unsustainable low amount. Glad your Dr got you on the right track.
  • sharont81
    sharont81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My doc told me the same thing. I am at about 1500 too
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    It depends on your height, weight, and activity level. I'm netting 1200 calories if I eat back exercise calories, and I eat only around that amount if I don't work out. But, I'm short, only around 5'1", and between 118-120 lbs. Most people are taller and larger than that and need to eat more. On the days I work out, I'm actually eating between 1300-1500.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    At 5'1", 104 pounds, and 59 years old, I can maintain at around 1350.