How often should I weigh in?

Options
I was wondering how often I should weigh in. Some say every morning at the exact same time while others say once a week to stay encouraged. Any opinions....

Thanks

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I believe this is a personal choice.....personally, I weigh in every morning HOWEVER, I do understand that factors such as fluid retention and sore muscles can affect what the scale shows---I just do it every morning because I don't want to miss anything.
  • kjb0976
    kjb0976 Posts: 68
    Options
    I agree that it is a personal choice. I admit I am obsessive.. sometimes I do it morning and night just to see. But truly once a week is sufficient. For my 90 day weight loss challenge at the gym, we weigh in weekly.
  • bakersduzin
    bakersduzin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself 1-2 times/week first thing in the morning when I get up, before I eat anything. It comes down to personal preference I think. My mom weighs herself every day, but I know I would drive myself crazy if I did that. :laugh:
  • luvmy2babies
    luvmy2babies Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I would prefer not too, but I always wonder if I have lost (or gained) anything.
  • Missyrth
    Missyrth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i do mine once a week.. at the same time. :smile:
  • rinitafitz
    Options
    It is a personal choice. I randomly weigh in (about twice a month), depending on how busy I am. I just make sure that I weigh-in in the morning when I first get up.
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I found that once a week is better mentally. When I weighed daily it made me too critical and could ruin my whole day.
  • keynesian
    keynesian Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you react to the numbers on the scale.

I weigh every morning just because I like to know... but i acknowledge and accept that despite the 'best' possible sort of previous day the number may still rise for various reasons. My son stresses if he weighs every day so he weighs every week.
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    Once a week is fine. Also take your neck, waist and hip measurements and keep a weekly record of the same as well. In case you are not losing weight but the measurements are coming down, you are doing fine.
  • niffer82402
    niffer82402 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every morning when I wake up, just because it would drive me nuts if I didn't! But the only weigh-in that I really count is on Saturday mornings (after a whole week of working out and eating right, that is where I expect to see my results!) I also take measurements weekly, though I don't really see results in terms of inches lost until about 2 weeks.
  • kerri76
    kerri76 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Once a week for me. Anything more than that makes me crazy! Literally!
  • ratkins811
    ratkins811 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice... I think I will try to do it weekly because I am the type that would obsess over the numbers and feel discouraged etc.

thanks again.
  • iuali81
    iuali81 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. Once a week is best. I actually took our scale and put it up in the closet so I wouldn't be tempted to get on it every morning. I know myself, if I weigh in everyday and it has gone up a little bit, I would be very discouraged.
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Great idea to weigh in weekly. The first 45 days or so of my life change I weighed in daily. This was sorta good at first because I could see the weight come off slowly but surely. However, the numbers would go up and down. I only entered my weight on MFP once a week and it seems like on that day (tues mornings) it would always be slightly higher than the day before but still down for the week. So, it became bittersweet because I was proud that I had lost weight but felt a bit frustrated as well. Well after about 5 or 6 weeks of that I said, "enough!" and I started only getting on the scales on Tuesday morning. It was really hard the first couple of weeks but it was so fun to see that weight loss all at once and by then I had my calorie & fitness routine down enough I know I was doing what i needed to do to pull the numbers and get healthier.

Since weighing in weekly I had touched the scales only one other time outside my weekly weigh ins and it was a morning I was feeling down and tired and I couldn't feel that way going into Sunday morning. So I jumped on the scales to see if I had made progress and it was therapeutic for me.

So, as many has said here it is a personal choice but I would personally recommend to try having the discipline of weighing once a week as you did in fact choose!
  • lecia125
    lecia125 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. I understand that there will be fluctuations do to uncontrollable factors. I like to know because the number gives me motivation. If it is down, I think " yes, I can do this!" and if it is up a little, it gives me motivation to try harder that day.