INSANITY nutrition question

Options
Hey guys- Is anyone using INSANITY and using the Harris-Benedict equation to figure out their calories for the day? That is what is in the nutrtion guidebook. When I use that equation, I get WAY more calories than I get on MFP but it does already include exercise calories I think?
Anybody with ideas on this?
I have just noticed that I am so tired lately and not sure if I'm not eating enough or if I'm just tired in general (don't get great sleep). Also I have noticed that while I'm normally fair skinned, I have been unusually pale lately. I'm just kind of wondering if this could be diet related.
Anybody else having this issue?
I've got 2 1/2 weeks left of INSANITY and have gained a couple pounds instead of losing any weight......

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start Insanity...sometimes how much to eat confuses me too...
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    How many calories a day are you eating?

insanity has me at 1700 and that does take into account the exercise already so I manually changed my goals here to 1700 and dont log the exercise.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Also rememebr you are burning WAY more calories month 2 than 1 - you should increase your calories by another 200 maybe.
  • zandhmom75
    zandhmom75 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Insanity, also. I use their recommended calculation for calories while I'm doing the program, since they do already factor in the exercise. Using Harris-Benedict, my cals/day are 1800, whereas MFP recommends 1400. You may be more tired due to not enough complex carbs, or "bonking", as they call it. Month 2 is harder than month 1, more strenuous. Maybe try adding some more carbs. Good luck, you're almost done!
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm on my third week of Insanity and I chose not to use their diet plan. I did the math according to their nutrition guide and it recommended adding about 500 calories to my daily intake. However, I use a HRM to track my calories, and I've only been buring about 250-300 calories per workout. Even in just 2 1/2 weeks, the number of calories burned during the same workout has decreased, presumably due to my improved cardio. So if I were to eat according to their plan, I'd be eating 200-250 extra calories on top of what I burned.

You could also be gaining weight if you're doing protein shakes after your workout, as muscle weighs more than fat. I've noticed that my weight loss has decreased since I started Insanity, but my muscle definition and overall body shape has improved. As for the weakness and paleness, have you been drinking enough water and eating enough carbs prior to the workouts? I find that if I don't properly prepare my body for Insanity, I feel like crap afterwards.

Good luck, and congratulations for sticking with it!
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I had the same problem too. If you aren't eating enough and skimping on protein then your body is breaking down your muscle for fuel rather than the fat. Muscle is easier to breakdown. I ended up at my Dr.'s since I was tired, dizzy, etc half way through my first month...I was also training for a half marathon. My Dr. suggested upping my protein which I did and while it was hard for me to meet the 50% he suggested for protein I noticed a HUGE difference on the days I managed to get somewhat close. My calorie goal was calculated at 1800. I ended up stopping the Insanity after the first month because it was too much with my other training. I also gained 1-2lbs too. I'm going to try again but am struggling to find a good time during the day. I can't do it first thing in the am as I have to have a full meal in me with about an hour to digest. Mid-day is hard and sometimes I just don't have the energy in the evening. Although I went up a pound or so on the scale I noticed I was firmer all around, stronger and my running improved.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I am doing Insanity. When I did it without using MFP, I didn't lose or gain weight. Now that I am using the calcs that MFP provided, I've lost 6 pounds in a little over a month. I stick to about a 1200 calories net diet. Best thing about Insanity is that you can eat more because you burn more.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    You could also be gaining weight if you're doing protein shakes after your workout, as muscle weighs more than fat.

I've been told by several trainers this is a myth...a pound is a pound. Muscle is leaner and takes up less space so while you may not have noticed a change in the scale it is possible to have lost some inches. Also, a pound of fat burns about 5 calories and a pound of muscle burns about 40 cals...
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You could also be gaining weight if you're doing protein shakes after your workout, as muscle weighs more than fat.

I've been told by several trainers this is a myth...a pound is a pound. Muscle is leaner and takes up less space so while you may not have noticed a change in the scale it is possible to have lost some inches. Also, a pound of fat burns about 5 calories and a pound of muscle burns about 40 cals...

Yes, a pound is a pound, but since muscle takes up less space, a certain volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    1 thing that I can think to add is vitamin consumption. Are you taking any multivitamins? When doing diets it's starts to get harder to get all the vitamins and nutrients your body requires so this may also be taking a toll on you. Try adding in a multi-vitamin of some sort.