Too heavy for C25K??

Options
Hey everyone! The C25K has been on my mind since I've heard of it. The issue is, I weight 446lbs. I'd like to try it, but I also want to be realistic... I know this is likely just a matter of opinion, but I'm curious. Do you think I'm too heavy to be able to take this on? Any suggestions? Thanks for reading! :)

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I think you could start C25K as long as you are able to walk. You may have to repeat the earlier weeks more often than someone lighter, but you would still complete the program in time if you stuck to it. The important thing is that you do something.
  • tethomas73
    tethomas73 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    What is the C25K???
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Similar, I think instead of the walk/jog maybe alternate normal pace walk/fast walk through the program the first round. I bet you will be able to add in jogging by second go around :)
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'd just say start slow.
    Maybe repeat each week 2-3 times.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K - it's a program to get you running a 5k from not ever having run before.

I would add to what the others said: go to a running store and get a professional shoe fitting. You are at a higher risk of injury running at that weight so you want to be sure your shoes fit properly.
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Yes that sounds like a great plan. Slow to moderate walk/ Brisk walk. You can do this!! :flowerforyou:
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I think you could start C25K as long as you are able to walk. You may have to repeat the earlier weeks more often than someone lighter, but you would still complete the program in time if you stuck to it. The important thing is that you do something.

Agreed. And the most important thing would be that you listen to your body. So if you advance a week and get sore in excess or something then take a step back and redo the week before. I would also recommend getting a HRM if possible so that you can accurately track the calories that you are burning so that you keep your body fueled!
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Jamie,

Check with your doctor, and see what s/he has to say. Are you too heavy for C25K? No -- but, given your present weight and activity level, your doctor might recommend the best way to get yourself positioned for success in your exercise goals, and these might help you approach your C25K program appropriately!

Good luck, and be sure to take part in the C25K threads around here -- the folks at MFP are *really* supportive of those who, like them, are in the middle of their C25K journey!

Larry
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    You won't know unless you try. :)

I had attempted a few months back and it was too much for my knees. I started doing the elliptical. Last week, started doing this program. If you can't do it the first time, revisit it in a few months. Keep doing that until you can do it. Don't let not being able to do it discourage you. Work up to it by doing other things.

I think what others suggested with walking...great idea!!

Good luck!!
  • kittycat613
    kittycat613 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you all SO much for your responses! I definitely think this is something I'm going to do. Going to start slow of course, and repeat weeks as needed.. but I know I'm gonna do this! Thank you all again SO much! :)
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    C25K = couch to 5 kilometers (running)

I've had patients bigger than you that could barely walk come in for gastric bypasses. TOUGH SURGERY!!!! If you are in ANY sort of ability to move, then MOVE!!!
    1.) CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR! You need an honest goal that will not cause you more health problems.
    2.) Start slow, and keep calorie conting. Don't overlook the need for healthy foods
    3.) Don't give up. C25K may not happen in 9 weeks, but it can happen.
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You are welcome!!
  • megan_mp
    megan_mp Posts: 77
    Options
    This was a question that I mulled over too when I first started here on MFP. I decided to lose some weight before I even attempted jogging because I could already feel that my knees were protesting the walks I was doing.

After losing 50 pounds, I decided to revisit my decision to do C25K. I am finally doing a program that is like that (jogging and walking in intervals), but it is still hard on my body. I have shin splints and sore knees/hips on training days. I do have great shoes that I was fitted for after my gait was analyzed. I think if I had crappy shoes, this pain I feel after jogs would be worse.

Since adding a heart rate monitor to my regiment, I have found that I burn just as many calories on a 50 minute walk that I do on a 45 minute walk/jog training session. There's something to be said about doing too much, too soon and too fast.

Brisk walks until you lose some weight may be a good idea. You don't want to injure yourself to the point that you can't participate in any activities at all. Slow and steady wins the race here...

Good luck! :)
    Megan
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I started it this morning. I couldn't do the run for 60 seconds every time so I just stopped when I had to and then when it got me to run again I ran for as long as I could. I'll just keep doing this for the next 2 times and then see if I am able to go to the next week or if not repeat this week. I think you could do the same just try and up the anty when it says run for as long as you can then come back down.. Repeat the weeks until you're comfortable moving on.
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    I'm heistant to start it because of my foot problems...but on the show "heavy" a really big girl and guy completed a triathalon. I was blown away and figured if they can do that, I bet I can run...
    I think if you want to try it, go right ahead. If it's too much for you, start at your own pace, then as you lose weight, step it up a bit.
    Good luck!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Clear it with your doctor. They know your medical history and are trained (should be anyway) to see if it would be a problem. Stress fractures in your feet would be a main concern. At the end of my last pregnancy I simply tried a lot of walking to help kick start labor. At around 375 I messed my feet up. Every morning they were cramped and the swelling lasted all day. The pain was awful and they didn't start to feel normal again for over a month because, well, to go anywhere you HAVE to walk. So every day I was re-injuring to an extent.
  • niffer82402
    niffer82402 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    As long as your doctor has approved you to exercise, I say Go for it! Just listen to your body. That may mean that you walk more than the program intends you to, and you may repeat weeks numerous times. But it is the getting up and Moving part that is important, not how long it take you to complete the program. My husband (300+ lbs) just started this program with me, and we love it so far. Good luck!