keeping chopped up fruits and veggies fresh

Options
Hiya
i want to take chopped apples and carrot's to work and some other fruits and veggies so i can snack on healthy food instead of crisps and junk.

But how do i keep them from going dry and brown colour.

Replies

• KatrineJensen
    KatrineJensen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Carrots, cucumber etc. you can just keep in an airtight container. Apples and pears you can either just bring whole, or chop and drizzle or brush them with lemon juice or orange juice before putting them in the airtight container. The acidity in the fruit juice keeps them from turning brown :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Vacuum pack?
    Lemon juice or vinagrete.
    Or bring a knife to work.
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If you allow it in your plan, apples can be bathed in lemon lime soda to keep from browning, and you won't get as much acidic flavor.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Any acidic solution will keep fruit like apples from browning - I think something like lemon juice does the best job (and I love the taste) but if you don't want your apples to have a lemony taste then you can dilute it with a bit of water.

Also a good idea, if you have the time --> if you like to keep berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries...) and you want them to stay fresh longer - mix a small amount of vinegar (1:3 ratio of vinegar to water -- I tend to use apple cider vinegar b/c that's what I keep on hand at home). Let the berries hang in that solution for a bit, gently stirring a couple times. Then rinse them off to take away any vinegar flavor that might be stuck to them --- and then DRY them. Spread them on some towels (that you don't mind staining) or paper towels and let them dry completely. Place them in a container (that allows airflow) with some paper towels to absorb any moisture and they should last longer than if you just put them in the fridge. The pH in the vinegar kills any spores that might be on the berries in the first place so they take longer to start forming mold.

It takes some time and effort but it's better than throwing away (expensive) berries that have mold on them all the time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I cut my fresh fruits and veggies at work.
    It's just easier.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Put them in ice water. This also works well for storing avocado.
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I use an apple wedger and keep the core in with the apple. I then put them in an airtight container. I noticed that different apples brown quicker than others. I usually have gala apples and they stay quite nice (I cut them up the night before and eat it in the afternoon).

Lemon juice does work too.
  • MrsCupCakeBoyle
    MrsCupCakeBoyle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I cut my fresh fruits and veggies at work.
    It's just easier.

Im A dog walker so cutting them up while walking or in the car isnt the best idea..