Need cooler ideas... Again

Options
I had asked this once before, but with the new forum layout on my phone I can't seem to find the old post.

Anyway- I work 12 hour shifts in a vehicle (no access to microwave most of the time). I typically bring Greek yogurt, diced chicken, soy milk, cut apples with cut cheese, and/or peanut-chocolate bars with me to work. I have a small cooler that I pack everything in. I mix and may h from the above to let my calorie goal for the day (I have decided to count from midnight to midnight even though I work overnights to match my fitbit burns).

I need some more ideas on what I could add to the mix to bring. Due to the nature of my job, it can not be a food I eat with my hands (this may sound odd, but working in an ambulance I hate touching my food. I even keep my bars in the wrappers as I eat them lol). The options also must be gluten, wheat, barley, oat and red dye free. I prefer stocking with things I make at home over store bought premade things. Someone a while a go suggested hummus, but I just haven't developed a taste for it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    There are so many things you can make at home a week before and prepare or freeze in small containers --quinoa with sliced almonds and raisins, chili, deviled eggs, meat loaf or meat balls, mac and cheese, eggplant lasagna, baked cauliflower,
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I had asked this once before, but with the new forum layout on my phone I can't seem to find the old post.

Anyway- I work 12 hour shifts in a vehicle (no access to microwave most of the time). I typically bring Greek yogurt, diced chicken, soy milk, cut apples with cut cheese, and/or peanut-chocolate bars with me to work. I have a small cooler that I pack everything in. I mix and may h from the above to let my calorie goal for the day (I have decided to count from midnight to midnight even though I work overnights to match my fitbit burns).

I need some more ideas on what I could add to the mix to bring. Due to the nature of my job, it can not be a food I eat with my hands (this may sound odd, but working in an ambulance I hate touching my food. I even keep my bars in the wrappers as I eat them lol). The options also must be gluten, wheat, barley, oat and red dye free. I prefer stocking with things I make at home over store bought premade things. Someone a while a go suggested hummus, but I just haven't developed a taste for it.

Anyone have any ideas?

I dont understand the relevance of the microwave.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    There are so many things you can make at home a week before and prepare or freeze in small containers --quinoa with sliced almonds and raisins, chili, deviled eggs, meat loaf or meat balls, mac and cheese, eggplant lasagna, baked cauliflower,

Unfortunately many of those things need to be reheated or don't stay well for 12-24 hours. I need things that are more quick to eat (since I don't get a lunch break). Basically I need foods that I can eat rapidly on the go.

"I dont understand the relevance of the microwave"

I can't reheat things at work, therefore need foods that are best eaten cold.
  • paty5999
    paty5999 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    you can make a salad with letuce, onions, tomato...mixed with cannned tuna or other cooked fish with no bones. if you season it just before eating, its good to go on a cooler and keeps fresh for long hours...

hope I could help!
  • elphie754
    Options
    paty5999 wrote: »
    you can make a salad with letuce, onions, tomato...mixed with cannned tuna or other cooked fish with no bones. if you season it just before eating, its good to go on a cooler and keeps fresh for long hours...

hope I could help!

Hi thank you for the idea. Not the biggest fan of fish but maybe I could do with with crab or chicken. I have been trying different types of fish to see if I can find one I like, but so far they all just taste weird to me lol. Which is weird because I LOVE squid, crab, lobster, scallops and other sea critters.
  • paty5999
    paty5999 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    paty5999 wrote: »

hope I could help!

Hi thank you for the idea. Not the biggest fan of fish but maybe I could do with with crab or chicken. I have been trying different types of fish to see if I can find one I like, but so far they all just taste weird to me lol. Which is weird because I LOVE squid, crab, lobster, scallops and other sea critters.

I guess it's ok, sometimes I even use a chopped hamburger (homemade) or chopped pork or beef to go with the salad... you can also use raw purple cabbage (idk if the name is right) or beet, they both have lots of iron, I cut it small, and I think it tastes really good:)

good luck!

Edit: chicken, or turkey would go well to!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Unfortunately many of those things need to be reheated or don't stay well for 12-24 hours. I need things that are more quick to eat (since I don't get a lunch break). Basically I need foods that I can eat rapidly on the go.

"I dont understand the relevance of the microwave"

I can't reheat things at work, therefore need foods that are best eaten cold.

Where there is a will. . . .use the engine block to heat the foods. I am sure there is a You Tube video out there showing this. There are answers and there are obstacles. Cool thing is you can choose which to accept.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Have you tried wraps?? Everything can go in them. Eggs, meat, cheese and veggies. You can do them for any meal and on the go is easier.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you do want hot food you could possibly invest in one of those stoves that heats up food from your car lighter

http://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-12-Volt-Portable-Stove-Black/dp/B00030DLEE

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Not sure what kind of calorie goals you're trying to achieve... You could add shrimp to the salad instead. Avocado halves--eat with a spoon out of their own little bowls. Trail mix--I have a friend who always use to eat it with a spoon. Bananas.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    A decent thermos could keep soup hot until lunch time, no microwave needed.

A lot of greek food is served cold and can be eaten with a fork/in a wrap that you keep half wrapped so that you don't have to touch it. Think spanakopita, grape leaf wraps, tabbouleh, gyros, moussaka (can be eaten cold).

Pinterest has a lot of ideas as well. Search, "Cooler Lunch Ideas" or "Lunch Box Ideas" or "Cold lunch box ideas for adults."
  • elphie754
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Have you tried wraps?? Everything can go in them. Eggs, meat, cheese and veggies. You can do them for any meal and on the go is easier.

I have. The problem is the gluten free wraps tends to get really hard after a while which made me not want to eat it lol.
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    If you do want hot food you could possibly invest in one of those stoves that heats up food from your car lighter

http://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-12-Volt-Portable-Stove-Black/dp/B00030DLEE

Negative. Supervisor (as well as DOH) would kill me.

mitch16 wrote: »
    Not sure what kind of calorie goals you're trying to achieve... You could add shrimp to the salad instead. Avocado halves--eat with a spoon out of their own little bowls. Trail mix--I have a friend who always use to eat it with a spoon. Bananas.

As far as calorie goals I try to hit 1300 a day. If my fitbit shows that I have burned quite a bit more (from stairs since buildings under 5 stories are not required to have elevators) I will go up to 1600. I try to keep a 750-1000 calorie deficit a day to lose 2lbs a week though (still have over 100 lbs to lose so this is still doable).

Not even going to entertain the engine warming statement.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    wow - tough job :smile:
  • elphie754
    Options
    Rabbit- it is the nature of the job. I personally love my job and wouldn't trade it in for anything, but it makes eating difficult. There have been days where I didn't get to eat until 9 hours in, and even the. It was shoveling something in quickly on our way to the next call. That is why I bring soy milk and squeeze apple sauce packs with me. I can quickly eat or drink one in a few seconds.
  • Sued0nim
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I just realised you're a paramedic *kudos* - I thought you were a trucker to my shame

I'm quite partial to brocolli, cauliflower and feta cheese (or halloumi) fritters - they work well cold

something like (sorry I don't have weights here)
    a head of brocolli pulsed fine
    a red onion chopped fine
    a head of cauliflower boiled and mashed
    mix it all together with about 100g light feta cheese (or grated halloumi), an egg and the egg whites of 3 eggs until it comes together
    tbsp of cornflour - but you could use gluten free flours
    salt and pepper and give it a taste to make sure it's seasoned well
    put it in a well greased baking tray (I use coconut or olive oil and count it)
    put it in the oven until it browns on the top (about 45 minutes)

let it cool a little and cut into pieces - normally makes about 6 for under 200 calories

it's nice and filling and works well with salads (and you can eat it with a fork)

I use BBC Good food as a go to recipe site - anything here?

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/gluten-free-lunch

• elphie754
    Options
    No problem lol. We call the ambulance a bus, truck, rig, taxi etc so even in my day to day conversations people are like "what exactly do you do?" lol.

Oh wow. Those sound awesome. Will *try* making them on my next day off. I am a trial and error type baker lol.

Thank you for the site. There are a few recipes on there that I am going to try. The gf sundried tomato bread sounds amazing since I am a tomato fanatic.
  • queenofthedancehall
    Options
    When you said 12 hour shifts I figured paramedic, police, or fire. My props to you hun. I am police so I feel you. My cooler has hard boiled eggs, which I usually boil a dozen at a time and just have them for the week. I grab two for my cooler. Granola bars are good. Since you are wheat, oat, and gluten free you may have to go to a healthfood store for the varieties made with rye or buckwheat. I also pack fruits and vegetables that I precut at home. I buy the packs of peanuts and trailmix that come in the small packs. That way I can just tear the tops off and pour them in my mouth without touching the mix with my hands. I like yogurt, and cottage cheese with fruit. I buy the diced chicken breasts already in the packs. I also try to keep one or two whey shakes in my cooler. There is a brand called Lean six that I purchase from gnc that has a good amount of protein and little sugar.
  • Sued0nim
    edited October 2014
    Options
    if you are baking GF breads try to get some Xanthan Gum - it's a stabiliser that replaces the gluten and makes it less crumbly if you just add a teaspoon to your bake - works with cakes too

it's quite widely available in supermarkets in the UK not sure about the US but you can get it on amazon if you can't find it locally

although that's a huge packet for the amount you use :smile:

http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Xanthan-8-Ounce/dp/B0013JJZWG

Re the fritters - you're supposed to fry them but I couldn't get them to work with minimum oils so I plumped on baking instead which isn't quite as good - if you have a higher calorie allowance you could go for frying them into patties
  • elphie754
    Options
    "Granola bars are good. Since you are wheat, oat, and gluten free you may have to go to a healthfood store for the varieties made with rye or buckwheat."

Unfortunately I have had such issues with these since most are made on shared equipment with oat (my biggest allergy). That is why I stick to the glutino peanut and chocolate or nut and fruit bars.

I may look into shakes. While I prefer fresh food, its just not always realistic. There are certainly nights where I wish I could just tell dispatch "no! Food first, emergency later." It's like they know I am trying to plan food and lose weight and want to sabotage (I know that is not actually true, just needed to vent that lol).
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    if you are baking GF breads try to get some Xanthan Gum - it's a stabiliser that replaces the gluten and makes it less crumbly if you just add a teaspoon to your bake - works with cakes too

it's quite widely available in supermarkets in the UK not sure about the US but you can get it on amazon if you can't find it locally

although that's a huge packet for the amount you use :smile:

http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Xanthan-8-Ounce/dp/B0013JJZWG

Re the fritters - you're supposed to fry them but I couldn't get them to work with minimum oils so I plumped on baking instead which isn't quite as good - if you have a higher calorie allowance you could go for frying them into patties

The gluten free flour I buy actually has xanthan gum in it. It is called cup4cup. They are a completely gluten free company which is why I love them. I use their pancake mix to make waffles about once a month or so.

I actually have a deep fryer that I haven't been using because I can't figure out how to count the oil. I used to use it to make homemade mozzarella sticks (and still do every so often when I need a bit of comfort food).
  • elphie754
    Options
    Once again I am looking for snacks, meals etc to bring to work. I am starting to get bored with packing the same things every day. Any one have some good ideas?

If you are going go suggest something, be aware I can't eat anything with wheat, barley or oat (even gluten free oats causes symptoms). Type of snacks I'm looking for are things that can be packed in a cooler. I also prefer snacks/meals that I eat with fork/spoon since I don't like handling my food in my hands at work.

Thank you in advance.